Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Hi Andrew, any specific reason why would you do that? do you plan to hack your atx control trigger circuit to connect SSD directly?

edit: I never tried connecting SSD directly from separate PSU without having mobo trigger controling it so not sure how and if it works but if yes than you will need separate board for 5V, not sure what will be benefit for extra $145

I currently use an Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply with 5V and 12V outputs. I wanted to put the PSU in the same case as the server motherboard/SSDs but the JS-2 won't fit. I thought this option you have shown would work for me.

Andrew, how is your mobo connected now? through pico atx or any other way? do you have your SSD connected separately?

Hi Clayton, as mentioned earlier, I have no experience powering SSD separately as my mobo takes 12V DC so no idea if and how does is work, may be other guys could comment

HDD takes about 3-5W at 5V but not sure what would be consumption during standby/off mode...

Using a four output HDPlex,  I am running 12V to the motherboard, 12V and 5V to the Sotm PCI Usb card ( I don't really need the 5V as my DAC does not need it) and 5V to the library SSD. My operating system is on a CFast card plugged into the motherboard so I do not use the externally powered SSD for the operating system.

Using a four output HDPlex,  I am running 12V to the motherboard, 12V and 5V to the Sotm PCI Usb card ( I don't really need the 5V as my DAC does not need it) and 5V to the library SSD. My operating system is on a CFast card plugged into the motherboard so I do not use the externally powered SSD for the operating system.

Similar to me but with a JS-2. 12V to motherboard and SOTM card and 5V to SSDs. Seems to work well.

I use an HDPlex too: 12V to Pico and 5V to SSD, not hacking the ATX system. About half the time, the server computer won't start properly - have to switch off and try again - so hoping somebody will tell us the secret.

I've 'hacked' an ATX PSU to give separate 5V, etc, but not sure how to get SSD to hold hands with Mobo.

I use an HDPlex too: 12V to Pico and 5V to SSD, not hacking the ATX system. About half the time, the server computer won't start properly - have to switch off and try again - so hoping somebody will tell us the secret.

I've 'hacked' an ATX PSU to give separate 5V, etc, but not sure how to get SSD to hold hands with Mobo.

I am no expert in any way ............ is it possible to run your operating system on another storage device which plugs direct to the motherboard such as a.dent and I do with the Cfast cards ....... whether that would solve your start up problem. I am running Snakeoil OS (as I think a.dent is) which is very small so the Cfast card that I am using is a single layer industrial one of 4GB. I have another 8GB card with Daphile on it also, which is what I started out using.

Sounds like you don't have enough current going to the motherboard. Is anything else powered from the 12V rail? Which motherboard are you using?

Edited by a.dent

I am no expert in any way ............ is it possible to run your operating system on another storage device which plugs direct to the motherboard such as a.dent and I do with the Cfast cards ....... whether that would solve your start up problem. I am running Snakeoil OS (as I think a.dent is) which is very small so the Cfast card that I am using is a single layer industrial one of 4GB. I have another 8GB card with Daphile on it also, which is what I started out using.

I gave up on the CFast card and now use a 128Gb SDD for the OS and a 1Tb SSD for music. Still seem to have enough current. I used the same thing from my original HD Plex without problems.

Sorry, wrong info ................... good to hear that the smaller SSD runs without a problem with the motherboard. Why did you ditch the Cfast, was it just to isolate the power from the motherboard???

Mainly, yes. The Cfast was occasionally glitchy as well.

Guest rmpfyf

M.2 SSD will do that, where your motherboard supports it. Very fast. Problem is there are no small sizes, and isolating power is tricky.

quesion is whether your bootable disk can be supplied with external power without mobo triggering the power in right sequence...

msata is one of the cableless solutions unfortunatelly there isn't too much itx boards left with msata and pretty much none with M.2 yet

Guest rmpfyf

quesion is whether your bootable disk can be supplied with external power without mobo triggering the power in right sequence...

msata is one of the cableless solutions unfortunatelly there isn't too much itx boards left with msata and pretty much none with M.2 yet

Wouldn't say that - M.2 exists on a few ITX boards now. Might not be not be into a PCIe x16 lane, but it's there. Got it on one of mine...

If your SSD is powered on constantly (I may have missed something) why would turning on be a challenge?

I'm confident that there's heaps of power available to the motherboard from the HDPlex. I think the problem is, as kukynas suggests, and Chanh has alluded to in the past, that the ATX sequencing is not working when the SSD is run from a separate PS.

Mine seems to start more reliably when I power the SSD on for a while, before powering on the mobo/pico with its 12V. Another issue may be that I'm using both those 12V and 5V to power the ASUS STX 2 card, but I don't think so.

The mobo is Asrock N3700, with a tiny current requirement (TDP of 6, same as Atom). SSD is Samsung 850 Pro with OS and library together. Not using Snakeoil yet, but intend to down the track.

Way back in this thread, people were talking about powering various bits of mobos separately, but nobody to my memory said how to deal with the ATX 'logic', if that's the right term.

Guest rmpfyf

I'm confident that there's heaps of power available to the motherboard from the HDPlex. I think the problem is, as kukynas suggests, and Chanh has alluded to in the past, that the ATX sequencing is not working when the SSD is run from a separate PS.

Mine seems to start more reliably when I power the SSD on for a while, before powering on the mobo/pico with its 12V. Another issue may be that I'm using both those 12V and 5V to power the ASUS STX 2 card, but I don't think so.

The mobo is Asrock N3700, with a tiny current requirement (TDP of 6, same as Atom). SSD is Samsung 850 Pro with OS and library together. Not using Snakeoil yet, but intend to down the track.

Way back in this thread, people were talking about powering various bits of mobos separately, but nobody to my memory said how to deal with the ATX 'logic', if that's the right term.

I remember the earlier discussion.

I have a similar issue with a HD-Plex LPSU, a Pico-PSU and a Core motherboard with the SSD (same Samsung as yours BTW) powered separately - need to wait a while before it boots... though I never had this problem with the HD-Plex 250W DC-DC. Only the Pico. There's a good bit more voltage drop in the supplied wires with the Pico it turns out, so with a little heat and time she starts up no problem. In the meantime, I get ATX voltages out of spec (given that 12VDC is passthrough on this design). I've noticed those running this successfully use either silver or some low-resistance wiring hookup... neither are a bad idea.

Thought I was losing my head over this so switched back and forth between DC-DC's a few times, same effect on the Pico every time. Switched to the backup Pico, same deal.

I'd not think power to the SSD to be a root cause because there's nothing to sequence, your PSU/motherboard doesn't look to peripherals to see if they're on or off before booting, and even if they were directly connected (not in our cases) their idle power is extremely low away... happy to be corrected if wrong here. 

The need to sequence power correctly occurs when you supply all motherboard power rails (e.g. 12/5/3.3VDC etc) independently and then need to work out how to turn those on. Don't think it applies to peripheral power?

I don't think powering the SSD separately will cause a problem.

I have two power inputs 5V and 12V . I turn on the HD Plex or JS-2 first then push the on button on the front of the server. This obviously powers up the SSDs before the motherboard is turned on. I've never had a problem with this setup.

You can see my SOTM card is powered from the motherboard power plug which would otherwise be unused with external power.

post-116892-0-43544300-1469927813_thumb.

Guest rmpfyf

Excellent - very affordable too! Only $200 for 2 in one unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate - someone's selling 'em at $99 at the moment. Might take your advice.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOSS-ZD917-soldering-desoldering-station-2in1-Dual-LCD-display-Screen-/322208308578 (apols all for the OT)

Edited by rmpfyf

Thanks mate - someone's selling 'em at $99 at the moment. Might take your advice.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOSS-ZD917-soldering-desoldering-station-2in1-Dual-LCD-display-Screen-/322208308578 (apols all for the OT)

I can only speak base on my experience with my own unit. As with any Chinese made product(s), QC can deviate significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Chanh