another one picked up on blu-ray for $10 in the JB sale,

42624_large.jpg

$10 well spent ! we watched yesterday, and below is a short review,

Shane - Aus Release - 2.0 DTS Master Audio

Movie - 5/5 - Wow a movie from 1953 ! over 60 years old, not one have watched ever before but pretty amazing to be watching on blu-ray. And watching it absolutely loved it. A story of a gun fighter that stumbles upon some homesteads and gets caught up the conflict between the settlers and ranchers. For what is a simple story it soon draws you right in. 

PQ - 4/5 -  For a movie thats 60+ years ago, it is plain astonishing this movie looks as it does. It was produced with a 3 negative process which makes easier the restoration it went through some 20 or so years ago. Colours are rich. theres some pretty reasonable detail, film grain is left untouched and the movie is presented in its original academy format. Perhaps another movie that can experience here as best ever seen. It is set in some lovely country side and not surprising it won an oscar for best cinematography and in colour too which would have been pretty special for its time.

AQ - 3/5 -adequate, really not a feature of this film. Its mainly dialogue driven and that is clean and clearly audible.

Overall - 4/5 - A classic for sure. and I know there are many fans of it going a long way back

ps my dad popped by while our place while we were watching, I had it paused at a non descript scene, and one look he straight away identified it as Shane. He last saw it decades and decades ago in the cinema and was just in awe to see something like this on screen again....

some quick screen shots which show the kind of PQ on this release,

14571085602_6ce8e20c5d_b.jpg

14385280669_073bf1fbe8_b.jpg

14570170634_c71212cb02_b.jpg

14570173284_9377bd567e_b.jpg

14385218240_44353024b4_b.jpg

14385459647_e1f951e8a3_b.jpg

14385221250_f7690ffd1e_b.jpg

• Like 1

Guest rondine

This and The Wild Bunch are my two greatest westerns. The scene with Shane showing the kid how to shoot a gun is a favourite.

ron

This and The Wild Bunch are my two greatest westerns. The scene with Shane showing the kid how to shoot a gun is a favourite.

ron

definitely some memorable scenes in this movie

I enjoy your reviews Al. Keep them coming.

ZM.

thanks ZM :)

Guest Misterioso

Great movie. And what do you think - is Shane dead at the end or not? I always wonder when I see this movie.

I know this film so well.

From the high heels that Alan Ladd wore to the shots the director took to sink the rest of the cast. From the frisson of sexual tension which had cuckolding writ large right across the screen to the plea from the kid Joey, "Shane don't go" or something like that at the end of it and Jack Palance's psycho gunslinger, Van Heflin playing the decent husband and homesteader who is cuckolded in all but the deed by Shane and by his decent but scrumptious missus. Phwoar!

Excellent excellent film and an easy entry into my top10.

• Like 1

Great movie. And what do you think - is Shane dead at the end or not? I always wonder when I see this movie.

something best left to your imagination…. :)

I know this film so well.

From the high heels that Alan Ladd wore to the shots the director took to sink the rest of the cast. From the frisson of sexual tension which had cuckolding writ large right across the screen to the plea from the kid Joey, "Shane don't go" or something like that at the end of it and Jack Palance's psycho gunslinger, Van Heflin playing the decent husband and homesteader who is cuckolded in all but the deed by Shane and by his decent but scrumptious missus. Phwoar!

Excellent excellent film and an easy entry into my top10.

just so much going on in this film isn't it :)

Guest Misterioso

By the way, if you like Alan Ladd, check out "This Gun for Hire", my favourite film noir. Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake, one of the great couples of the film noir.

I think the ending is deliberately ambiguous so you can put any interpretation you want onto it.

Probably my favourite western.

Jack Palance is evil personified in this

• Like 2

I think the ending is deliberately ambiguous so you can put any interpretation you want onto it.

Probably my favourite western.

Jack Palance is evil personified in this

Jack is so evil that in the famous saloon gunfight scene, even that dog got up and moved away from him.

• Like 1