Shane MacGowan

On 09/12/2022 at 2:13 PM, agentorange2 said:

He has been on the wagon for around 6 years now , but yes - old habits do tend to catch up with you in the end.

I think Keith Richards gave him a call to cheer him up , so should be fine 😆.

Nah he's still drinking, just toned it way down - and he augments it with jazz cigarettes

I remember reading an Ernest Hemingway biography written by one of his friends - where the doc told Ernest to stop drinking or he'll die... and he said how much he hated his doctor... because he was only allowed to drink wine with lunch and dinner - that was his version of being on the wagon lol

the other mystery is Shaun Ryder.... how he is still ticking (and touring) is beyond me

1 hour ago, Kristian Kristiansen said:

Nah he's still drinking, just toned it way down - and he augments it with jazz cigarettes

I remember reading an Ernest Hemingway biography written by one of his friends - where the doc told Ernest to stop drinking or he'll die... and he said how much he hated his doctor... because he was only allowed to drink wine with lunch and dinner - that was his version of being on the wagon lol

the other mystery is Shaun Ryder.... how he is still ticking (and touring) is beyond me

If you had taken a book on who would die first - Shaun Ryder or Mark E Smith.

In the 90's you would have said Ryder for sure.

Unfortunately,  Mark E eventually fell to the big C from friggin smoking, not all the drugs and alcohol he had consumed. 

When we saw the Fall maybe 9 months b4 he passed, he was crazy as fuuuk ranting and raving bhind the speakers. 

The best and worst 40 min gig I have ever seen.

He was as prolific, musically as anyone right to the very end.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I was on a plane flight from Perth to Melb, and shared it with The Pogues.  When in Melbourne airport, my brother in law, much to his delight, was approached by Shane MacGowan.  "Where do we pick up the bags?",  "Just down here, mate"  was the conversation. 

• Haha 1