Beatles Mono Box Set - All Analog - Sept 9th, 2014

I don't have a mono switch or phono stage but they say its better if its between those two.

my setup is an old receiver [ RX V1] and Rega rp1 so I was going to try it.

Cant wait to hear it mono I have friends who say its the best way to listen to the early Beatles.

I was 17 in 1967 - the year Sgt Pepper came out.  There were big lineups outside the record stores to grab it as soon as the shipping boxes were breached.  Most of the initial shipping of that album never reached the shelves, it was bought straight off the delivery truck at the record store.

I bought all the Beatles albums (except Yellow Submarine) the moment they were available.  So did almost everyone I knew.  We didn't even consider whether they were in mono or stereo, we simply bought them.  As far as I know, the only Beatles albums which did NOT have a mono mix but only a stereo mix were Abbey Road and Let It Be (maybe Yellow Submarine too, I don't know).  You have to remember, while some of the finest recordings ever made are of a 1950s - 1960s vintage, mixing techniques were primitive.  In the early days of the Beatles as a global phenomenon - 1962-66 - stereo was a novelty and often very badly done when mixed that way.  Back then, there was no FM, only AM.  Hi fi systems were pretty basic too.  None of that bothered us in the slightest.  We simply bought the records and listened to them.

Our attitude to the Beatles back then was sort of a love/hate relationship.  We certainly got off on their music but we marked them down a notch because they did NOT perform it live.  Above all else, the 1960s was an era of LIVE music.  The Beatles stopped playing live in 1965, just around the same time as I was starting to spend every weekend at a LIVE gig.

If I still had vinyl equipment, I don't think I'd be salivating over this release.  I've been there and done that.  I can still hear it all in my head.

• Like 1

What proportion of phono preamps have mono switches? & is this feature way better in some than others?

Dunno. My ME pre also has a mono switch so I guess if I do it there and at the phono stage it ends up back as stereo...

The whole point of mono pressings of 1960s albums is the mix. There is no advantage in mono over stereo, the advantage is that the mono mixes are often a hell of a lot better than the stereo mixes. Listen to With the Beatles in the original stereo mix, if you can sit through it, and you'll hear what I mean.

So, WTF are they doing remastering these? Completely loses the point of the whole exercise. Unless they are re-creating the original mono mix there is absolutely no point. This is not how most listeners heard the Beatles in the 1960s unless it is the original mix.

I hope they are trying to faithfully reproduce the original mixes, then this could be fantastic.

DS

A new master is NOT a new mix.

• Like 1

A new master is NOT a new mix.

Unless it is the Stereo remasters were they remixed as well - more bass eq etc  - sacrilege :mad:    

At least the backlash made them change the mono's to where we are now

I have never heard a decent mono album.

Not saying there is not one/many out there and I know a lot of audiphiles swear by mono...

But the last attempt at sampling a mono LP was when I purchased the remastered mono Hendix Are You Experienced and Axis LP's. They both sounded dull and lifeless.

Subsequently I flogged them both on eBay shortly after buying them.

• 4 weeks later...

I've upgraded my Amazon Canada order to Priority International Courier shipping (3-7 days), only another $15 over expedited, hoping the courier handling might be a little safer than normal post.  After currency conversion still only $380 delivered.

Fremers  views after keeping mum for quite a while 

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/beatles-get-back-mono-and-aaa-vinyl

Quite an interesting read.

One small thing I noticed in the video, is that it shows the Magical Mystery Tour cover incorporated with an LP size booklet.

I know that it was originally released that way as a 45rpm double EP (I still have my copy), and later as an LP with extra tracks added, but I didn't think the original LP version released in Australia included the booklet.

I also notice that Yellow Submarine is not included, but perhaps those tracks are included on the mono masters album.

Jake

that reminds me, need to cancel the more expensive order around Aug 25th. I don't want two of them. :)

I've already cancelled my US order, figured it will be hard to beat the $356 Canadian price (especially factoring in exchange rate) and didn't want to forget as well, wouldn't be the 1st time I've mistakenly ended up with 2 of something!!

I've already cancelled my US order, figured it will be hard to beat the $356 Canadian price (especially factoring in exchange rate) and didn't want to forget as well, wouldn't be the 1st time I've mistakenly ended up with 2 of something!!

Where are you seeing $356? This is what is says for me on the Canadian Amazon site, 

Price:

CDN$ 379.99 FREE Shipping

Where are you seeing $356? This is what is says for me on the Canadian Amazon site, 

Price:

It might have dipped to 356 at some stage. Mine is showing Total CDN$ 364.54 in my order, but 379.99 on their website ad.

Price:

It might have dipped to 356 at some stage. Mine is showing Total CDN$ 364.54 in my order, but 379.99 on their website ad.

Preordering early has its advantages :D     And with Amazon they do not charge you until it ships, so costs you zippo to preorder

Metal Beat, I have on too many occasions got duplicate pre-orders as I forgot to cancel the higher one beforehand!

All my eggs are in the Amazon Ca order this time, but hopefully they can honour this as I've had more than a few Amazon Ca PREORDERS fall through due to "unavailability". I reckon they don't get allocated enough stock, so have to reneg. :(

Price:

CDN$ 379.99 & FREE Shipping

As Metal Beat says that is an earlier pre-order price, the Free Shipping will not be valid for overseas shipping either.  Don't use standard shipping from Canada, I've found it to be anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.  Expedited (maybe 2 weeks) is $15 & Courier (3-7days) is $30, for an order of this size I think $30 is still very cheap.  

If my experience with the Stereo box is anything to go by, if you wait, you will probably find the box will come down in price in the next few months.

that is because the Stereo box is Digital Crap with non fill US pressings from Rainblow.  

The mono is all analog and highly anticipated, so price will not go down imo.  Unless they have printed 200,000 of the buggers

• Like 1

that is because the Stereo box is Digital Crap with non fill US pressings from Rainblow.  

The mono is all analog and highly anticipated, so price will not go down imo.  Unless they have printed 200,000 of the buggers

Mine was the better European pressing.