1 hour ago, soundfan said:

Spiritual Jazz vol. 8 Japan

Parts 1 and 2

4 slabs of delicious jazz from Japan 1961-1983

20180428_155033.jpg

It will be a long wait until the repress is released...:(

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, awayward said:

I’m not into Jazz, but I thought I would have listen on your recommendation, amazing SQ and soundstage, some top notch muso’s also?

Be careful, jazz is addictive. After a while you get so used to the elevated level of musicianship, it can become extremely difficult to listen to other genres unless it's the cream of the crop.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Be careful, jazz is addictive. After a while you get so used to the elevated level of musicianship, it can become extremely difficult to listen to other genres unless it's the cream of the crop.

I think the very best of all genres has a elevated level of musicianship, add a top quality recording and mix makes an album extraordinary, I find this is generally rare.

Prefering prog rock and heavier music, I doubt I will succumb to Jazz, I have always had trouble will the timing more than anything. But I’m willing to listen to anything before I discard it, Tony Allen will get another spin or two, or more.

• Like 3

On 22/04/2018 at 7:11 PM, soundfan said:

I’m sure there are more than a few here who are familiar with cellist Erik Friedlander.

If so....you should check out this crackin’ new album. It was recorded with his new band “Throw A Glass”. Cello/bass/piano and drums...and the excellent Ches Smith is the drummer.

Hear it on bandcamp and Tidal. Am seriously considering buying the 3 LP box set. Not cheap, but this is a top tier release imo.

http://music.erikfriedlander.com/album/artemisia

198C9F63-CCA0-4C47-8ED4-140654EF632A.jpeg

Very, very nice Chris! Wow, that pianist has chops. Great SQ too.

Friedlander-cello, Uri Caine-piano, Mark Helias-bass, Ches Smith-traps @Dave O)))

Edited by mikey d
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, awayward said:

I think the very best of all genres has a elevated level of musicianship, add a top quality recording and mix makes an album extraordinary, I find this is generally rare.

Prefering prog rock and heavier music, I doubt I will succumb to Jazz, I have always had trouble will the timing more than anything. But I’m willing to listen to anything before I discard it, Tony Allen will get another spin or two, or more.

If you would like some other suggestions, to assist with discovering the greatness of jazz, drop me a PM.   Appreciate it's not everyone's bag. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mikey d said:

Very, very nice Chris! Wow, that pianist has chops. Great SQ too.

Friedlander-cello, Uri Caine-piano, Mark Helias-bass, Ches Smith-traps @Dave O)))

It certainly is, I ordered the vinyl as soon as I heard the opening track. Nice story behind the conception.

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

If you would like some other suggestions, to assist with discovering the greatness of jazz, drop me a PM.   Appreciate it's not everyone's bag. 

And there are many flavours of jazz. Some leave a bitter taste, some are bland, and some are down right scrumptious. One needs to saviour as much as they can to see what they like. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

Thanks to forum members this thread is a great resource.  I enjoy following up on suggestions to see if I like them, and exploring the material available through internet music streaming services.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, t_mike said:

LOL.  Anyone would think you are sitting in your Double Bay mansion sipping martini's looking down on the world :)

Yes, jazz can be addictive, but it does not stop me enjoying almost any other style of music, be it LoFi, alternative, industrial, electronic, blues , rap, pop etc.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

Bud Powell - The Genius Of . Verve records 1976 reissue - recorded in 1950/51. Bought in Compton, LA of all places when on holiday in 94 - did not realise till later it was supposed to be dangerous in Compton :) Got plenty of cheap Motown records in Compton as well.

[IMG]

• Like 6

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

LOL.  Anyone would think you are sitting in your Double Bay mansion sipping martini's looking down on the world :)

Yes, jazz can be addictive, but it does not stop me enjoying almost any other style of music, be it LoFi, alternative, industrial, electronic, blues , rap, pop etc.

I wasn't meaning to sound pretentious in any way, and I certainly listen to many genres of music. However, jazz and classical seem to have a much higher standard of musicianship as the entry point to being a professional in the genre. I will still listen to anything, as long as there is good creativity.

Double Bay, pffft.

Give me a beachside shack in the middle of nowhere anyday.

• Like 3

Lee Morgan - the roulette sides

10 inch. Picked this up at Red Eye records.

Paper inners which is frustrating as I have no replacements at this size.

I have some spare 10 inch inners. Let me know if you need any and I'll slip a few in the post for you
  • Like 2

So today is my jazz fusion day as I have the house to myself again.

Antoine Fafard is a guy some of you may know through his work with "Spaced Out" although what he plays here is somewhat different. Think more along the lines of Alan Holdsworth / Al Di Meola / Scott Jones / Liquid Tension Experiment / Bozzio - Levin - Stevens / Shawn Lane / Mastermind / Scott Henderson's Tribal Tech etc.

An amazing player that fits right in amongst the likes of those mentioned above along with Bruford / Return to Forever / David Sancious (from the E Street band) etc.

Here's what's on today's rotation.......

I've also included a snip from Rate Your Music from which you will note how highly regarded Fafard's music really is. Anything above 3/5 is worth getting generally.....

af2.jpg

af3.jpg

ah1.jpg

ds.jpg

sj.jpg

af5.jpg

ah2.jpg

bb.jpg

rtf.jpg

af.JPG

• Like 3

There are a few on this album that are quite handy (paron the pun) on the ivories. Some of the recordings are a bit on the scratchy side, with many of them dating back to the 20s. Very enjoyable nonetheless. 

1524984990475-281963874.jpg

1524985037334171567607.jpg

• Like 3

Not listening, but looking at old Jazz photos on the art print site I stumbled on. The images must be proprietary; the site won't allow copying or direct links to images, but the one in this link I like a lot.

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/photographs/hAHFbu/Ella-Fitzgerald-Duke-Ellington-Benny-Goodman-NYC-1948

• Like 4