Focal Utopia Problem

Some advice please guys 🙏

So the left hand side of my Utopias stopped working 3 weeks ago. On the advice of some people I had them checked out by a guy I trust here in Sydney in case it was just the connecting wire - as I had been advised it may be.

Turns out the Diaphragm was gone. He emailed Focal and they have quoted $3,200.00 for a pair. I bought these used about 2 years ago and have no warranty. If I am to pay that for repairs, I’ll just buy a new pair.

Any other thoughts guys? Thanks in advance. 😀

Hey Rob,

Your experience isn’t new I’m afraid. Focal say that they have to replace both drivers even if only one fails and if you’re outside of warranty then this is the $ amount, which is effectively a near new used price. Driver failures aren’t uncommon in planars, orthos or estats. Some manufacturers fair better than others. Focal are well known not to honour warranties when you’re the second owner, as do companies like ZMF. You’re between a rock and a hard place - sorry. This hobby sucks sometimes.

N

BTW - Utopias are up in my “only have one headphone” space. You may want to spend those $$ exploring some other offerings but I can see why you’d go back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob McHugh said:

Turns out the Diaphragm was gone. He emailed Focal and they have quoted $3,200.00 for a pair. I bought these used about 2 years ago and have no warranty. If I am to pay that for repairs, I’ll just buy a new pair.

Any other thoughts guys?

Did he email France or the distributor here?

I can't recall if it's still Addicted to Audio (BusiSoft) but might be worthing calling them. Especially if you bought it from Addicted To Audio directly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob McHugh said:

Some advice please guys 🙏

So the left hand side of my Utopias stopped working 3 weeks ago. On the advice of some people I had them checked out by a guy I trust here in Sydney in case it was just the connecting wire - as I had been advised it may be.

Any other thoughts guys? Thanks in advance. 😀

Rob, if this helps, in the utopia headfi thread, focal states that they offer a 5 year warranty to utopias (definitely the older ones but some members say it’s ambiguous re latest version (new cable setup) though focal never wrote that it does not apply to newer utopias there - as long as you have proof of purchase (transferable warranty)).

Is the item less than 5 years old? Can you still contact previous owner?

if he doesn’t have original receipt the store may have a history of the order.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input guys; it is very much appreciated.

You know, you get to a certain age and just can't deal with c***s any more. I even knock back gigs these days if the client is a s***head. I'd much rather do charity gigs for free. Focal are famous dicks and I am thinking of going with Zach and getting a pair of ZMF Verite Opens. Any thoughts guys?

@BlueOceanBoy I will try the Raal's one day mate but at the moment I just love my amps too much ha ha. 

PS: with a view to what I mentioned earlier; I have a niece with Tuberous Sclerosis. She is 18 now and cannot communicate, comprehend, feed herself or even go to the toilet. She is also quite physically disabled. Once a year we put on a fundraiser at Paddington RSL here in Sydney to raise money for these kids - my sister in law is president of the TSA. I normally MC and have 5 really good, well known comedians - I taught most of them ha ha and have good stuff to auction. This year already, I have a 2007 Souths jersey signed by the team and coach and both gloves signed by Alex Volkanovski (current world champion UFC Featherweight) with a COA.  It is n October 22nd; if you are interested at all, please make a note of the date and PM me closer to the gig for details. 

Please forgive the plug. 🙏

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rob McHugh said:

Thanks for all the input guys; it is very much appreciated.

You know, you get to a certain age and just can't deal with c***s any more. I even knock back gigs these days if the client is a s***head. I'd much rather do charity gigs for free. Focal are famous dicks and I am thinking of going with Zach and getting a pair of ZMF Verite Opens. Any thoughts guys?

@BlueOceanBoy I will try the Raal's one day mate but at the moment I just love my amps too much ha ha. 

PS: with a view to what I mentioned earlier; I have a niece with Tuberous Sclerosis. She is 18 now and cannot communicate, comprehend, feed herself or even go to the toilet. She is also quite physically disabled. Once a year we put on a fundraiser at Paddington RSL here in Sydney to raise money for these kids - my sister in law is president of the TSA. I normally MC and have 5 really good, well known comedians - I taught most of them ha ha and have good stuff to auction. This year already, I have a 2007 Souths jersey signed by the team and coach and both gloves signed by Alex Volkanovski (current world champion UFC Featherweight) with a COA.  It is n October 22nd; if you are interested at all, please make a note of the date and PM me closer to the gig for details. 

Please forgive the plug. 🙏

There’s also the new zmf atrium

demo models may be available through indiehifi

if bought new (ie original owner) zmf has lifetime warranty on drivers (you may already know that)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ccollins said:

There’s also the new zmf atrium

demo models may be available through indiehifi

if bought new (ie original owner) zmf has lifetime warranty on drivers (you may already know that)

Thank you. Yep, spoke to a few yanks and done a little research and I think the Verite may be a little more resolving than the atrium. From all I’ve gleaned, the Verite open is similar to the Utopia but a little more natural sounding with bass not quite as ‘tight’, but a more generous sound stage. 👍

45 minutes ago, Rob McHugh said:

Thank you. Yep, spoke to a few yanks and done a little research and I think the Verite may be a little more resolving than the atrium. From all I’ve gleaned, the Verite open is similar to the Utopia but a little more natural sounding with bass not quite as ‘tight’, but a more generous sound stage. 👍

Had a look at your chain there Rob and I'm not sure the VO will sound their best. IMO, they need an OTL or SET tube amplifier due to their high impedance. I see you have some Senns in there though. So the Cavalli must do a good job.