APAN BRU-121

I have had an APAN BRU-121 sitting in the garage for many years and have recently decided to get it out and going again. I bought it in Sydney in the late 1970s. From memory I paid somewhere around $150 for it.

It is in ok condition but definitely needs some work. The belt has completely perished.The dustcover has some minor damage but everything else looks ok.

The company APAN seems to have disappeared many years ago. There was a manual that came with these turntables but I haven't been able to track mine down. If anyone could help out with that it would be greatly appreciated.

Also its not clear how to adjust the speed on these TTs. Does anyone know?

I've ordered the belt. I'm hoping that once I get it installed a few things will sort themselves out.

Jeez, that tales me back. I haven't seen an Apan for many years. Without seeing your model, I can't be certain, but it is highly likely that the BRU-121 employs a fixed speed, synchronous motor. There is no speed adjustment with such systems, except in VERY rare instances. Belts should be easy enough to obtain, though you'll either need to match it using a range of belts, or guess at the right size. I keep a range of belts for just such a purpose. Alternatively, you could try WES Components in Ashfield.

• 1 year later...

RedRupert, how did the belt from Melbourne work? And have you had to adjust antiquate at all? I am having an issue with my rebuilt APAN BRU-121 upon start. After the automatic letdown of the tonearm and needle happens, the tonearm is then moved towards the center of the record/turntable, scratching across the first second or so worth of grooves. :( 

RedRupert, how did the belt from Melbourne work? And have you had to adjust antiquate at all? I am having an issue with my rebuilt APAN BRU-121 upon start. After the automatic letdown of the tonearm and needle happens, the tonearm is then moved towards the center of the record/turntable, scratching across the first second or so worth of grooves. :(

You'll need to adjust, or have adjusted, the auto set-down. Without seeing the unit, I cannot point to the precise location of the adjustment screw, but it will certainly be there somewhere.

G'day all, yes the name 'APAN' takes me back to the mid 1970's remembering an advertisement in an old ETI magazine issue from 1973.  That seems like yesterday.  Am I really that old?  Regards, Felix.   

Hi,

Timely thread, I just picked up an APAN BFU-121 from the original owner.

APAN%20top%20view_zpsk09npnbf.jpg

APAN%20top%201_zpschblwzeb.jpg

It came with two head shells, one that looks like the original, and the other with a Shure 91ED fitted

APAN%20Shure%20Cartrdge_zpsijs07xoo.jpg

Now I have a favour to ask one of you APAN owners (@@Malakaai @@RedRupert )

The lift mechanism has the top plastic section missing - photos of the offending part

APAN%20lift%20pin%202_zpsldpdorob.jpg

Any chance of getting a photo of what it looks like, and if possible a height measurement of the plastic part. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

John

Edited by skippy124

The photo Malakaai has posted is exactly the same as mine. I have been busy with other things since the last post and haven't finished setting it up. I got the belt frm Melbourne and it fitted with no problems. I purchased a Shure M97xE from the US but haven't fitted it yet. This cartridge has had good reviews elsewhere but apparently needs to be tweeked to get the best performance. Regarding the problem Malakaai has had with the tone arm scratching across the record when you first put it down: it sounds like you need to adjust the counter weight and the antiskate device. That should work. Otherwise I'm not sure how you would fix it.

Actually, just had another look. I have a lever that allows the tone arm to be dropped onto the record manual. That is the only difference with the photo. I have always used that lever in the past rather than the automatic mechanism.

Actually, just had another look. I have a lever that allows the tone arm to be dropped onto the record manual. That is the only difference with the photo. I have always used that lever in the past rather than the automatic mechanism.

My BRU is just auto return, auto start when the tonearm is moved from its holder and auto set down. 

I've adjusted the counter weight using a gram scale (tonearm force gauge, if the price goes above $50, i believe  :) ) but am not able to find the anti skate adjustment. I imagine its the two, thin metal pieces that touch each other in a + pattern to the right of the tonearm mount. To tweak that requires a flat-head screwdriver and probably a smooth piece of vinyl.

Hi,

Timely thread, I just picked up an APAN BFU-121 from the original owner.

APAN%20top%20view_zpsk09npnbf.jpg

APAN%20top%201_zpschblwzeb.jpg

It came with two head shells, one that looks like the original, and the other with a Shure 91ED fitted

APAN%20Shure%20Cartrdge_zpsijs07xoo.jpg

Now I have a favour to ask one of you APAN owners (@@Malakaai @@RedRupert )

The lift mechanism has the top plastic section missing - photos of the offending part

APAN%20lift%20pin%202_zpsldpdorob.jpg

Any chance of getting a photo of what it looks like, and if possible a height measurement of the plastic part. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

John

What a find, John!! I have taken a close up of that little plasticy/rubbery bit that the tonearm's, uh, guide arm (for lack of knowledge of the actual name of the part) rests on as the turntable turns. 

I hope it helps. 

Is this the part? 

Tonearm Guide

16631279906_e82e1891d8_z.jpg

Tonearm Guide Measure

16655818511_45024b9e9e_z.jpg

Tonearm Guide Measurement Metric

16471134119_3147e6f408_z.jpg

Edited by Malakaai
  • Like 1

My BRU is just auto return, auto start when the tonearm is moved from its holder and auto set down. 

I've adjusted the counter weight using a gram scale (tonearm force gauge, if the price goes above $50, i believe  :) ) but am not able to find the anti skate adjustment. I imagine its the two, thin metal pieces that touch each other in a + pattern to the right of the tonearm mount. To tweak that requires a flat-head screwdriver and probably a smooth piece of vinyl.

What a find, John!! I have taken a close up of that little plasticy/rubbery bit that the tonearm's, uh, guide arm (for lack of knowledge of the actual name of the part) rests on as the turntable turns. 

I hope it helps. 

Is this the part? 

Tonearm Guide

16631279906_e82e1891d8_z.jpg

Tonearm Guide Measure

16655818511_45024b9e9e_z.jpg

Tonearm Guide Measurement Metric

16471134119_3147e6f408_z.jpg

Yes, that is the part I was looking for, thanks for taking the time to take the photos, much apprecitpated

I wIll see if I can make something up to replace the shaft with the plastic/rubber does on the top.

Cheers

John

Thanks to the photos of the lift pin i was able to make up something that operates satisfactorily ( should have cleaned up the leftover particles of the original top part of the pin)

APAN%20lift%20pin%20fixed_zpscqrmbffy.jp

Turned on for the first time, and everything works, but the platter kept turning after the tone arm was back in place on the tone arm rest. Either a problem with the mains switch or associated switch actuator - time to take the whole unit out of the plinth!

Bottom view

APAN%20bottom1_zps4hrhag6j.jpg

The mains switch actuating lever was a bit sticky - some simple maintenance work and the lever and switch was working properly

APAN%20bottom%20mains%20switch%20lever_z

APAN%20bottom%20mains%20switch%20lever%2

Will throw on a record later today and see how she sounds

Cheers

John

Edited by skippy124

• 3 years later...
On 28/02/2015 at 4:34 PM, skippy124 said:

Thanks to the photos of the lift pin i was able to make up something that operates satisfactorily ( should have cleaned up the leftover particles of the original top part of the pin)

APAN%20lift%20pin%20fixed_zpscqrmbffy.jp

Turned on for the first time, and everything works, but the platter kept turning after the tone arm was back in place on the tone arm rest. Either a problem with the mains switch or associated switch actuator - time to take the whole unit out of the plinth!

Bottom view

APAN%20bottom1_zps4hrhag6j.jpg

The mains switch actuating lever was a bit sticky - some simple maintenance work and the lever and switch was working properly

APAN%20bottom%20mains%20switch%20lever_z

APAN%20bottom%20mains%20switch%20lever%2

Will throw on a record later today and see how she sounds

Cheers

John

Hi guys.  New member and found this thread really helpful. Thanks!  Have the same player. Jelco headshell with Shure cartridge / stylus.  Works great when I'm spinning by hand (lol).  Just ordered a new belt from Wagner in Sydney.  Price and postage to NZ very good.  $18 all up (WES components use these guys for online stuff). Same problem with the the little rubber bit on lifter being perished though.  Will skate across the record on return.  Thinking the only way will be to fashion my own.  Be interested to know how you went about it?  Added advice?  Cheers!  ps.  can post some photos of the unit later if anyone interested.  Quite a nice one in good nick.

Edited by john61
spelling mistake

On 21/01/2014 at 2:57 AM, RedRupert said:

I have had an APAN BRU-121 sitting in the garage for many years and have recently decided to get it out and going again. I bought it in Sydney in the late 1970s. From memory I paid somewhere around $150 for it.

The company APAN seems to have disappeared many years ago. There was a manual that came with these turntables but I haven't been able to track mine down. If anyone could help out with that it would be greatly appreciated.

On 25/02/2015 at 2:48 PM, eltech said:

Both are CEC made (in Japan) TT's, so the Apan will be bullet proof.? It's possibly based on the CEC BA300 or the CEC BD1000.

BA300.....
Image result for cec ba 300 turntable

BD1000.....

Image result for cec bd1000 hifi turntable

Both have AC synchronous motors.......great quality decks so enjoy the Apan @RedRupert .?

Ooops.....just saw how old the original post is......does RedRupert even have the Apan anymore??
Edited by stevoz

Hi stevoz, many thanks for this link. Yes, I still have the APAN but still didn't have the manual for it until you provided the link. I have cleaned it up and purchased a new drive belt some time ago as well as a new cartridge and stylus. I still need to do one more thing before it will work. I had put it back on the shelf when I realized I didn't have the wiring diagram for the cartridge. But with your link to vinyl engine I'm more confident I will be able to do that now. (I hadn't seen that site before). I'm happy to hear your vote of confidence in these turntables as well. I haven't heard much in regard to that side of things. So you have provided the last bit of information I think I need to get this thing going. Thanks once again for the link and the info.

Edited by RedRupert
missing info

2 hours ago, RedRupert said:

Hi stevoz, many thanks for this link. Yes, I still have the APAN but still didn't have the manual for it until you provided the link. I have cleaned it up and purchased a new drive belt some time ago as well as a new cartridge and stylus. I still need to do one more thing before it will work. I had put it back on the shelf when I realized I didn't have the wiring for the cartridge. But with your link to vinyl engine I'm more confident I will be able to do that now. (I hadn't seen that site before). I'm happy to hear your vote of confidence in these decks as well. I haven't heard much in regard to that side of things. So you have provided the last bit of information I think I need to get this thing going. Thanks once again for the link and the info.

Actually @eltech provided that VE link in an earlier post but it's great to hear that you still have the Apan and that it's almost there......CEC/CDC made TT's for heaps of audio brands, they were one of the biggest TT manufacturers/suppliers globally in the 70's and 80's and also supplied TT motors for some high end TT brands. Great reputation for solidly built well performing turntables. Now they only make high end CD transports, DAC's and amplifiers...oh, they do make a phono amp as well. All in all, the Apan should deliver.....? Good luck with it.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

HI all

Have had  Apan Bru 121, a Phodis CE 6000 amp and some really nice old Phillips speakers for a few years now. It's all obviously 70's vintage but it really good nick. Any idea what it'd all be worth ? I haven't been using it of late and the wife is eyeing off the space on the TV unit.....