Seeking DAC Loan/Advice in Melbourne North East

Hi,

In pursuit of auditory refinement, my trusted Rdac has taken its final bow after a commendable six-year tenure. Now, I seek a replacement – a DAC or a refined streamer/DAC duo to grace my musical haven.

Considering options such as the

The DACs currently at the top of my list (and within my budget) are:

Chord Qutest

RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Topping D90SE

I'd be grateful for suggestions or the loan of a DAC for a brief audition in my place or yours.

My digital ensemble:
Dell Laptop => Belkin USB => [Retired Rdac] => Audio Research LS27 => Bryston RBSST2 => Sonus Faber Cremona m

Residing in Melbourne's North East, I'm willing to travel for a loan and open to discussion on swapping some of of my unused HiFi gear as a gesture of gratitude.

Your concise recommendations are valued, and I appreciate any assistance provided.

Warm regards,

***Admin, please feel free to relocated the topic or advise if it's not the right section.***

20231221_194321.jpg

Edited by Amro200

What is your budget?

36 minutes ago, Amro200 said:

My digital ensemble:

Dell Laptop => Belkin USB => [Retired Rdac]

A different way to improve SQ with your new DAC is to get a Gieseler Reinigen

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/596937-gieseler-audio-new-base-model-usb-isolatorre-clocker/?do=findComment&comment=6299685

1 hour ago, Amro200 said:

Chord Qutest

RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Topping D10S

D10S doesn't quite fit in the league of the others does it ?  D90SE perhaps? 

Have a D70s spare at present - was part of my headphone setup.  pm if of any interest to have a listen . . .

• Love 1

Just a bit of a slight veer off course here. 

I had separates, a Chord Cutest and Aries G1. Ended up with a Lumin T2 and have never looked back. Firstly for the sound quality, secondly for the reduced fuss of streamer and dac all in one - less power cables, no expensive streamer to dac interconnect, etc 

There is one for sale on here at a bargain price. 

• Like 3

On 21/12/2023 at 9:18 PM, gibbo9000 said:

Have a D70s spare at present - was part of my headphone setup.  pm if of any interest to have a listen . . .

Thanks! Yes, I meant the D90SE. I am very intersted to try the D70s. Migh give my an idea about the sound signature for Toppings DACs. Will pm you.

On 21/12/2023 at 8:40 PM, ENIGMA said:

I have a Qutest.

Definitely recommended, it depends on if it suites your taste.

From the reviews I read it seems like people have a split opinions about Chord. I need to listen before commiting to one.

15 hours ago, astormsau said:

Just a bit of a slight veer off course here. 

I had separates, a Chord Cutest and Aries G1. Ended up with a Lumin T2 and have never looked back. Firstly for the sound quality, secondly for the reduced fuss of streamer and dac all in one - less power cables, no expensive streamer to dac interconnect, etc 

There is one for sale on here at a bargain price. 

Sometimes think this might be the ultimate solution for my dilemma, but comparing it to a cheap streamer with high end DAC makes the Lumin a costly solution. However, I am yet to compare the SQ between both solutions.

Edited by Amro200

@Amro200You've got good gear there, do yourself a favour and don't rush in because of price, a used T2 at 2.5-3k is great value, well made and rock solid. I use mine with no preamp straight into my Bryston 4B3 via XLR's. You can put your LS27 up for sale, that's how good the pre amp stage on the Lumin is.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2023 at 9:18 PM, gibbo9000 said:

Had a listen to Topping and what a striking difference to rDAC. This little box is so detailed and engaging I am re exploring my library. Didn't know the system is capable of showing such details smoothly.

• Like 2

On 24/12/2023 at 12:57 AM, Amro200 said:

Sometimes think this might be the ultimate solution for my dilemma, but comparing it to a cheap streamer with high end DAC makes the Lumin a costly solution. However, I am yet to compare the SQ between both solutions.

I wouldn’t underestimate the difference a quality streamer can make in a system - some argue even more difference than the dac. 

• Like 1