DAC Upgrade Advice Required

Hi All

I'm considering my system and any worthwhile upgrades. More specifically, I'm thinking about upgrading my DAC. I have an Audio GD NFB2 DAC which is now about 12 years old, and although well reviewed back then, I'm sure there are better options now. My music sources are mainly digital via my Squeezebox Touch streamer, and the aforementioned DAC. 

I guess what I'm seeking is a worthwhile upgrade with improved audio at a reasonable cost, although that's all relative of course. I see no point in just changing the DAC if I can't hear an improvement just to have a more modern DAC. 

So, what should I consider in this regard?

The rest of my system consists of an Emotiva XPA5, 5 channel power amp, via a Marantz Receiver (used as a pre amp/audio video processor), and bi-wired (?bi-amped) VAF i93 Mk 1 speakers using 4 of the power amp channels - if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Des

Edited by Desap
  • Like 1

Ok - having now seen numerous other similar questions and suggestions, I see I'm going down a long rabbit hole here 🙂  Many unheard of brands and makers from all over the world and thousands of dollars for what may be only a small upgrade. Listening is almost out of the question in most cases, with only reviews and opinions to go by. 

Given my aging ears, perhaps this is a waste of time. They're Ok generally but definitely frequency  loss above 6K Hz with hearing aid assistance in one ear.

DSP in REW or Dirac might be a more substantial improvement given how customisable to your own hearing needs/preferences it can be. There's some fairly substantial write-ups on DSP softwares and guidance in these forums. And potentially it won't cost as much as a DAC upgrade which can go into the very high thousands very quickly once you become too invested.

10 minutes ago, mikizee said:

Given you're in Adelaide and a VAF customer, I'd be happy to loan you a Chord Qutest over a weekend if you're interested. Absolutely fantastic DAC.

Thank you much appreciated. I'll wait a few weeks until after I'm finished with pending surgery.

Thanks again

Des