Best Sounding Portable Speaker(s) for Traveling

Hi All,

Everytime I go away on holidays I struggle with not having good sounding music. I would love for people's reviews on what you think are the best portable speaker or speakers setup to take with you when you travel?

*It must be portable enough to put in your luggage without taking up too much room.

*Each speaker can't be bigger than a 2 litre bottle of water.

*Must have big sound.

*Run on battery.

*Bluetooth conductivity.

It can be one or two speaker setup.

*The most important aspect is it must have great sound quality. We are on Stereo.net aren't we....

13 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

as an alternate approach, what about using a good pair of headphones and a DAP (or even your phone with a USB DAC) as source?

Or is it required for the entire family?

Correct, required for family and friends.

Probably just get an Ultermate ears boom or similar.

6 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

Correct, required for family and friends.

Probably just get an Ultermate ears boom or similar.

Yes, the UE Boom is a good value for money option! The JBL flip is another one to look at.

If you want to spend a bit more, there are some really good reviews on the Dali Katch G2 - though they cost quite a bit more than the UE and JBL options

I've been happily using a Fugoo portable speaker for the past 9 odd years and love it for the right balance of portability, sound quality and battery life. They are not easily available here though.

Cheers!

• Like 1

There is also B&O, if you feel like spending even more money. I can not objectively tell you it is better because I haven't measured it. Probably something I need to do! 

I have also been eyeing that baby Devialet speaker, the Mania. However, I have never heard them. They also cost $1400 and weigh 2.3kg! 

• Like 1

• Administrator

The DALI Katch really is quite good. But the price is high.

https://www.stereonet.com/au/reviews/dali-katch-g2-portable-speaker-review

We tend to have a couple of JBL Flips around the place. Kids take them everywhere with them.

Not the last word in SQ though, of course. But cheap and cheerful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

Hi All,

Everytime I go away on holidays I struggle with not having good sounding music. I would love for people's reviews on what you think are the best portable speaker or speakers setup to take with you when you travel?

*It must be portable enough to put in your luggage without taking up too much room.

*Each speaker can't be bigger than a 2 litre bottle of water.

*Must have big sound.

*Run on battery.

*Bluetooth conductivity.

It can be one or two speaker setup.

*The most important aspect is it must have great sound quality. We are on Stereo.net aren't we....

I have been using JBL Go2 for a few years now.  Luv it.

Sound fills a hotel room easily,  great down the beach for personal music and it's small enough to fit in your pocket - so takes up zero room. 

Cheap as chips at around $30 - $35.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/collections/jbl-go-2-portable-bluetooth-speaker

image.png.20dd9ce85d22b3122f49eff5f48b5175.png

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

If you are ok with buying second hand, the apple ipod hifi is a pretty good sounding unit. So far the best sounding one in the workshop (tram depot), out of various tradie radios and portable bluetooth speakers. You can also get a 30 pin bluetooth adapter to bring it into the 2020s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Yes, the UE Boom is a good value for money option! The JBL flip is another one to look at.

If you want to spend a bit more, there are some really good reviews on the Dali Katch G2 - though they cost quite a bit more than the UE and JBL options

I've been happily using a Fugoo portable speaker for the past 9 odd years and love it for the right balance of portability, sound quality and battery life. They are not easily available here though.

Cheers!

I'm interested in the Fugoo XL. Looks like a good buy for sound reproduction.

I use Bang and Olufsen Beosound A1's.  I have 2 of them and they can be used either seperately, or as a stereo pair (linked via the B&O app).  When I'm away for a week or more I take both and set them up in stereo, creates a fairly convincing stereo image (kept in context of portable bluetooth speakers)

Could not be happier with them for what they are.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/au/speakers/beosound-a1

Edited by POV
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the answer for you!  The lord hath spoken and the word is "Kanto ORA".  

Doesn't run on battery though, but it ticks all the other boxes.

So brand new, the only way to get them down here is to use Amazon USA website: https://www.amazon.com/Kanto-Reference-Bluetooth-Bi-Amplified-Automatic/dp/B0CJ41WK2D

I'll be getting a set, but I'm not in a hurry, have to setup my home theatre first.  Will use my KEF LS50s for the home theatre setup and replace them with these on my desk.

Edited by Zanny

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I had the same decision.  I chose a JBL Charge 3.  A bit bass heavy, but that's what EQs are for 🙂 .   Big advantage is a huge battery that lasts forever.

My son has the JBL charge 3 and I have all the 4 blue LEDs for the EQ but it has no bass. Sounds terrible overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sansui77 said:

My son has the JBL charge 3 and I have all the 4 blue LEDs for the EQ but it has no bass. Sounds terrible overall.

Not sure what you mean by blue leds.  Maybe the model has changed, but the only blue leds mine has are the charging indicators on the bottom front.  Do they have another use I am unaware of? 

But the default sound is bass heavy.

10 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

Yep…Also not a fan of JBL portables.  My daughter has a Charge 3 and it sounds really unbalanced to me.  Compared to the B&O and it’s really noticeable just how bad the JBL is IMO.

• Like 1

• Administrator

In that form factor, the Dali Katch (and the subsequent 2nd generation) really is a benchmark IMO. It just sounds far better than it deserves to, but then I think they priced is accordingly with that.

57 minutes ago, POV said:

Yep…Also not a fan of JBL portables.  My daughter has a Charge 3 and it sounds really unbalanced to me.  Compared to the B&O and it’s really noticeable just how bad the JBL is IMO.

I am not a fan of portables at all.  However, there are times when one is convenient.  I never use it at home.   

To me, UE Boom stuff lacked bass.  The JBL range had too much.  They all need EQ work (quite a bit) to sound acceptable.

I don't leave the country without my JBL charge 3 and for the size I think it sounds great - lack of bass has never been an issue for me. 

While sound is important I also need to take weight into consideration as most of my trips are business and require a full suitcase, and that was the speaker that ticked pretty much all of the boxes for me weighing in at around 1kg.   Id at least consider having a listen to the 5th iteration of this.

5 hours ago, williac said:

I don't leave the country without my JBL charge 3 and for the size I think it sounds great - lack of bass has never been an issue for me. 

While sound is important I also need to take weight into consideration as most of my trips are business and require a full suitcase, and that was the speaker that ticked pretty much all of the boxes for me weighing in at around 1kg.   Id at least consider having a listen to the 5th iteration of this.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

I agree.   Earlier comments sound like they are listening to a completely different speaker.

Is this what you guys are referring too?

PXL_20231122_072508338.thumb.jpg.c04b00c8ecbfdbdc8ee9d2fdbc197a2f.jpg