Disney exiting physical media in Aus

Best avoid Disney distributed moves all together it seems, pity it includes titles on 20th Century, as it will mean having to import a 4K copy of DUNE part 2 when it is eventually released.

The Link below lists all the upcoming releases under the DISNEY banner.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/upcoming-disney-movies/

Apart for the future AVATAR movies, and the as yet unmade and untitled ALIEN movie, there is absolutely nothing on that list that I'd bother buying on disc, so no great loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, groovem said:

Actually Amazon have it for $52.00!

gone up $53.18 :D and thats with prime membership...probably factors in the free delivery ! 

https://www.amazon.com.au/Exorcist-Theatrical-Extended-Directors-Cut/dp/B0CCST6HDX

the third edition is $60 because its a us import.. not sure what is driving this crazy pricing...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Exorcist-III-Collectors-George-Scott/dp/B0BQF7S5M9

jb, ezydvd  are all $45 so best wait for sales if want cheaper ...

not sure why sanity is $60?

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2850212/Exorcist--Exorcist-Directors-Cut-Edition--Blu-ray--UHD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

gone up $53.18 :D and thats with prime membership...probably factors in the free delivery ! 

https://www.amazon.com.au/Exorcist-Theatrical-Extended-Directors-Cut/dp/B0CCST6HDX

the third edition is $60 because its a us import.. not sure what is driving this crazy pricing...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Exorcist-III-Collectors-George-Scott/dp/B0BQF7S5M9

jb, ezydvd  are all $45 so best wait for sales if want cheaper ...

not sure why sanity is $60?

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2850212/Exorcist--Exorcist-Directors-Cut-Edition--Blu-ray--UHD

Probably the lousy exchange rate has something to do with it, combined with a very high demand with Americans wanting something scary to watch for upcoming Hallowen.😱

Its more popular than Xmas over there.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Best avoid Disney distributed moves all together it seems, pity it includes titles on 20th Century, as it will mean having to import a 4K copy of DUNE part 2 when it is eventually released.

The Link below lists all the upcoming releases under the DISNEY banner.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/upcoming-disney-movies/

Apart for the future AVATAR movies, and the as yet unmade and untitled ALIEN movie, there is absolutely nothing on that list that I'd bother buying on disc, so no great loss.

I watched Avatar 2 in the cinema for the 3D, which was superb, and maybe 3, but only if the story improves.  Other than that, will watch the rest on Disney+, and not even remotely interested in getting the 4K discs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

I watched Avatar 2 in the cinema for the 3D, which was superb, and maybe 3, but only if the story improves.  Other than that, will watch the rest on Disney+, and not even remotely interested in getting the 4K discs.

Well Sydney FINALLY has a IMAX cinema again after a 7 year renovation - [ still slightly smaller than the one in Victoria ]

So I can watch AVATAR / Oppenheimer etc, it opens today actually, so I'll probably be visiting it a lot.

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Cinema/IMAX-Sydney

• Like 3

while disney is exiting physical media.. others are going the other way and embracing with releases...

"For one thing, I can confirm that 20th Century Studios and Disney are working to bring James Cameron’s Aliens (1986) to 4K Ultra HD along with The Abyss (1989) (including BOTH cuts of the film) and True Lies(1994) in the next few months. All three films have been fully remastered in 4K from new scans of the original camera negatives. More on that soon."

and this is the effort going in for back catalog ! i received my exorcist and u571 4k releases recently .. cant wait to watch :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

while disney is exiting physical media.. others are going the other way and embracing with releases...

"For one thing, I can confirm that 20th Century Studios and Disney are working to bring James Cameron’s Aliens (1986) to 4K Ultra HD along with The Abyss (1989) (including BOTH cuts of the film) and True Lies(1994) in the next few months. All three films have been fully remastered in 4K from new scans of the original camera negatives. More on that soon."

and this is the effort going in for back catalog ! i received my exorcist and u571 4k releases recently .. cant wait to watch :D

Interestingly, Avatar 2 released on a 100GB disc. Hopefully The Abyss is also released on the same. I'll be keen to hear if the transfers of Aliens and TL are worth it. I'm definitely happy to have a copy of a 4K disc if I'm going to rewatch the movie.

• Like 2

I see the USA equivalent of JB HiFi, BEST BUY has announced that it will no longer be stocking any physical media what so ever buy the end of 2023.

That includes GAMES on DISC as well as DVD/BLURAY/4K DISC.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/14/business/best-buy-dvds-netflix/index.html

From what I've been reading, WALLMART is to follow suite in short order.

Buying anything on Disc, be it Music or Movies/ TV shows will become a very niche market, much like buying Vinyl, and the cost will escalate because of it, as we are already seeing. 😥👎

• Wow 1

• 1 month later...

It's been confirmed that a large number of James Cameron movies are going to be released soon:

(US release dates)

Titanic 4KUHD, 5 December 2023

Avatar Collectors Edition and Avatar: Way Of Water Collectors Edition 4KUHD, 19 December 2023

Aliens Collectors Edition 4KUHD, The Abyss Collectors Edition 4KUHD, and True Lies Collectors Edition 4kUHD, 12 March 2024.

There are also digital only 4K releases of Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, and the Avatar movies on 12 December 2023.

This is very good, but if Disney is distributing here like they are in the US we won't get physical releases of any of the movies. We have already missed out on the 4KUHD release of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. The US gets 4K, we get an old DVD release.

We are being treated appallingly. We either have to put up with a digital copy, watch it on Disney streaming or import the discs at great cost from Amazon US or UK.

Personally the only movie I will consider importing is True Lies. The rest I will boycott if there are no physical releases.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 6:45 PM, groovem said:

It's been confirmed that a large number of James Cameron movies are going to be released soon:

(US release dates)

Titanic 4KUHD, 5 December 2023

Avatar Collectors Edition and Avatar: Way Of Water Collectors Edition 4KUHD, 19 December 2023

Aliens Collectors Edition 4KUHD, The Abyss Collectors Edition 4KUHD, and True Lies Collectors Edition 4kUHD, 12 March 2024.

There are also digital only 4K releases of Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, and the Avatar movies on 12 December 2023.

This is very good, but if Disney is distributing here like they are in the US we won't get physical releases of any of the movies. We have already missed out on the 4KUHD release of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. The US gets 4K, we get an old DVD release.

We are being treated appallingly. We either have to put up with a digital copy, watch it on Disney streaming or import the discs at great cost from Amazon US or UK.

Personally the only movie I will consider importing is True Lies. The rest I will boycott if there are no physical releases.

Once they are released, I'll probably grab a bunch of them (including the Indiana Jones one). Being in Melbourne, if anyone wants to go in with me, we can save on postage. I don't think the last round are released on physical media until March, so it'll be a while...

On 15/10/2023 at 7:19 PM, Snoopy8 said:

The other thing driving this is the availability of full 4K downloads with lossless audio that can be purchased. Often they are released ahead of the discs.  😭  

That's the situation with the 20th Century movie " The Creator ", which also falls under the Disney banner.

Although since The Creator was shot entirely on SONY FX3 cameras, I imagine a LOT of up-scaling has been done, so it does make you wonder if a 4K Disc version is worth the outlay......I was surprised in was screened at IMAX cinemas TBH.

I don't know as I have yet to see it.

But then again thinking about it, I suppose if you are having to import a disc anyway, it might as well be a 4K one.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, betty boop said:

All on pre-order. Interestingly, Titanic and Creator are region A,B,C (I'm assuming that's the bluray discs, not the 4K ones) and Aliens & True Lies are region B. How did you search to find region B discs?

No sight of The Abyss on that site yet...but I'm hopeful.

Edited by Cloth Ears

33 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

All on pre-order. Interestingly, Titanic and Creator are region A,B,C (I'm assuming that's the bluray discs, not the 4K ones) and Aliens & True Lies are region B. How did you search to find region B discs?

No sight of The Abyss on that site yet...but I'm hopeful.

hi CE, the website sort of did it, it self am registered in there with my address and seems to select these for me 🙂 

i have bought off rare wares before, no issue through eBay and amazon. good to do direct, their shipping is decent. price wise theres probably going to be some other options as gets closer...

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi CE, the website sort of did it, it self am registered in there with my address and seems to select these for me 🙂 

i have bought off rare wares before, no issue through eBay and amazon. good to do direct, their shipping is decent. price wise theres probably going to be some other options as gets closer...

If you look at the top banner it has add this code at checkout for 10% off across this site, this weekend only.

I think I'll wait to order The Creator until its cheaper, what with the Aus $ so low against the US $

I see rare wares has Oppenheiner 4K and Bluray  for sale at US $60.99, surely that must be a mistake, JB has it for Aus $39.98

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tweaky said:

If you look at the top banner it has add this code at checkout for 10% off across this site, this weekend only.

I think I'll wait to order The Creator until its cheaper, what with the Aus $ so low against the US $

a little saving but a saving none the less. not sure if we will see  it cheaper here though...

1 minute ago, Tweaky said:

I see rare wares has Oppenheiner 4K and Bluray  for sale at US $60.99, surely that must be a mistake, JB has it for Aus $39.98

indeed not every overseas purchase makes sense. infact usually never does if theres a local option... i usually only ever go overseas if cant buy local.. bought Oppenheimer from jb for this reason 🙂

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, betty boop said:

a little saving but a saving none the less. not sure if we will see  it cheaper here though...

indeed not every overseas purchase makes sense. infact usually never does if theres a local option... i usually only ever go overseas if cant buy local.. bought Oppenheimer from jb for this reason 🙂

Well I see there is at least 2 different pre order prices for The Creator from Rarewaves.com

The one below is a whopping US$70.99, why I don't know.

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5056719200212-the-creator

The other US$48.99.

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5056719200205-the-creator

19 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

The one below is a whopping US$70.99, why I don't know.

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5056719200212-the-creator

this one is a steel book... they are for collectors and with a typical cost up..

"Edition: 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray Steelbook"

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

AUD$48.99 plus shipping ~AUD$6.99. The price includes GST. Note use code RWBFCM10 for 10% off this weekend.

Shipping isn't tracked and takes 2-3 weeks from the UK.

yes if registered on their website they give you pricing that matches your location ... and shipping 

1 minute ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Hmm, not sure I like the idea of no tracking and pre ordering 3 months from release.

But I do want Aliens on 4k disc, been waiting years for it.

as i said earlier you dont have to. can wait. there *might* be some better options

i say might as i kid you not we seem to be getting heavily restricted to having to import more and more discs now i am finding.. 

amazon au has stopped listing local discs.. so our local reliance is likes of jb hifi and sanity.. ezydvd if want to go there. not sure too many other options anymore ....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Hmm, not sure I like the idea of no tracking and pre ordering 3 months from release.

But I do want Aliens on 4k disc, been waiting years for it.

Even on regular releases Rarewaves often runs out of allocated stock a week or two before release. For these two (and The Abyss which should be listed soon) long delayed from even blu-ray, I'd recommend getting in early.

• Like 1