Ideas for cost effective hifi rack/stand

Hi All,

I hope this is the right spot for this question.

So I am slowly putting together a 2nd hifi setup in my room battling things such as finding the right equipment and smuggling them into my room with the Mrs. none the wiser. 😇
So I am looking to get a cheaper hifi stand. Obviously, the ones in the hifi stores are pretty expensive.  Buying used is an option but wondering if anyone had a cost effective solution like a general purpose shelving unit for example which can be used for this. My setup current has a TT and amp and I will add a tape deck at some point.
Don't want a table as I already have a computer desk and a vertical option would be preferable. Not too fussed about looks as this will be in my room and is for a budget 2nd hifi setup.

So far I have a PL-200 and AMC Xia 30 amp that will go on this.

Thanks in advance!

312198338_10160324918585330_2833466990003691653_n.jpg

Edited by Axl

There have been a few topics on this subject over the years, perhaps search out some of those threads for some ideas.  That's not to say that other good ideas could be contributed here. 

If you are somewhat handy, the design for the TNT FleXy table is quite popular.   The threaded rods and nuts can be bought at Bunnings, and they could cut bamboo shelves to size from a bamboo door or table top that they sell, all you need to do then is to drill the holes for the rods and put an nice finish on the wood.  The rods can be covered with some painted pvc tubing if you want it to look nice.

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexyfaq_e.html

• Like 2

I went with wood shelves and threaded rods, makes the shelves adjustable and you can level them with adjustments also, and cheap too.

I placed squares of Whites anti vibration pads under the bases of the threaded rods to protect the carpet/floor, and provide isolation.

These are also excellent to place under the feet of a turntable.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-15mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

Drill the holes for one shelf and you can use that as a template to drill the rest, easy.

Make the shelves as large or as small as you need it.

I used MDF, but as my shelves are quite wide I should have used a hard wood, or at least something more solid than MDF, we live and learn :)

IMG_20221013_100438.jpg.c37cb7124b5c36e58026383613795105.jpg

Edited by muon*
  • Like 6

Glass is not good for shelving,

It rings.

I have compared the sound with stuff on glass vs wood, glass is horrible for audio, especially for a turntable.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

Guest crankit

Sorry for not being helpful 

But would love to own a SimRack... Beautiful

Man the price tho

ffc11f343984ad38c498a0ec801874b18a751c91_2_553x500.jpg

Edited by crankit

1 hour ago, muon* said:

It rings.

I have compared the sound with stuff on glass vs wood, glass is horrible for audio, especially for a turntable.

Also I had a glass stand and one day it imploded all of a sudden. Didnt get hurt but the whole room was showed with glass.
Over time, weighted objects can weaken glass and even though its safer (no sharp edges), the micro power took so much time to clean so definitely wood for me in this room.

• Like 2

Guest crankit
1 hour ago, 075Congo said:

NAIM glass doesn't ring particularly if its 12mm toughened glass but $1750 is the price of entry

Isolated and damped as well 👍

My test was with 12mm toughened glass, like what many of these glass audio rakes use.

Place a DD turntable on the glass and have a listen, then put and Ikea bamboo board under that table and listen, very different and you would never remove the bamboo board and go back to the glass.

Edit: unless the system is very dark sounding and the very bright sound of the table on the glass helps.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, crankit said:

Sorry for not being helpful 

But would love to own a Naim Fraim... Beautiful

Man the price tho

ffc11f343984ad38c498a0ec801874b18a751c91_2_553x500.jpg

Nice photo, but that is of a different rack, a SimRack, I believe. 

This is the Naim Fraim. 
D1EE6AFB-0D4A-420C-82B0-D7B078438AF2.jpeg.c2c7ed2f416f1fabb2f70ca6d7840252.jpeg

DG… 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, muon* said:

It rings.

A lot of top end producers use 12mm toughened glass shelf’s to great effect. 

Namely; Naim, SimRack, for example. 

DG… 

Guest crankit
4 minutes ago, DiggyGun said:

Nice photo, but that is of a different rack, a SimRack, I believe. 

This is the Naim Fraim. 
D1EE6AFB-0D4A-420C-82B0-D7B078438AF2.jpeg.c2c7ed2f416f1fabb2f70ca6d7840252.jpeg

DG… 

Thanks Diggy

Oooof my bad 

33 minutes ago, DiggyGun said:

A lot of top end producers use 12mm toughened glass shelf’s to great effect. 

Namely; Naim, SimRack, for example. 

DG… 

The thread is on cost effective hifi rack/stand.

Not most expensive glass shelving.

Edit: I wouldn't pay that entry fee without testing them first.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

I've been using a Flexy rack for years and have no complaints at all. I love the infinite adjustability. I used some thickish MDF, and between the washers and wood some leather or rubber washers as anti-vibration. I currently have some Herbies feet under the threaded rods but I'll bet the Whites (now Jack's) squares would work well too.

It was a very simple build.

1 hour ago, muon* said:

The thread is on cost effective hifi rack/stand.

Not most expensive glass shelving.

Edit: I wouldn't pay that entry fee without testing them first.

Appreciate that, which is why in an earlier post, I posted about IKEA Kalkax, that is one of the most cost effective solutions going. 

As in most cases, there is always some thread drift and I was confirming that glass is a suitable medium. 

Target Audio also use glass shelves and they are very much at the cheaper end of racks. 

DG…