Ideas for cost effective hifi rack/stand

2 minutes ago, Axl said:

So finally I ended up with a used Kallax. I don't need to modify it yet. Thanks for the suggestions. I will soon move all my Vinyls here.

IMG20221104163159.jpg

Just be aware you have your Kallax set up the wrong way!  :o

Yes, I know you wanted it on its side - to act as a shelf - but the top (and bottom) panels are supposed to overlap the side panels ... not butt up against the side panels the way you have them.  This means the top panel is supported at each end by the dowels inside the join ... instead of being supported by the side panels.

But this is not so much of a problem if you keep the top shelf lightly loaded - as you have it.

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Just be aware you have your Kallax set up the wrong way!  :o

Yes, I know you wanted it on its side - to act as a shelf - but the top (and bottom) panels are supposed to overlap the side panels ... not butt up against the side panels the way you have them.  This means the top panel is supported at each end by the dowels inside the join ... instead of being supported by the side panels.

But this is not so much of a problem if you keep the top shelf lightly loaded - as you have it.

Technicaly you would be sort of  correct andyr although downward resonance transmission would be little different via the dowled joints. On the other hand gains in stability and being able to fit 2 items on the top. So outway other considerations. It seems clear the designer has the construction wrong. 

Just now, Richard Tremain said:

Technicaly you would be sort of  correct andyr although downward resonance transmission would be little different via the dowled joints. On the other hand gains in stability and being able to fit 2 items on the top. So outway other considerations. It seems clear the designer has the construction wrong. 

I wasn't talking about "downward resonance transmission", RT ... I was talking about mechanical strength.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

I wasn't talking about "downward resonance transmission", RT ... I was talking about mechanical strength.

Sure thing andyr but it looks pretty strong enough to me with all the central supports so i preferred to focus on the aspects that relate to how the design affects the sound.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Axl said:

So finally I ended up with a used Kallax. I don't need to modify it yet. Thanks for the suggestions. I will soon move all my Vinyls here.

IMG20221104163216.jpg

IMG20221104163159.jpg

Looks good, should work well for your setup.

Glad that you followed up with a post and photo. 👍  

As a transient apartment dweller I've "heavily invested" in the finest Kallax for my audio needs 😉

The genius and downfall of Kallax is that its engineering balances multi usability and minimising material useage (saving production and shipping costs). Generally, if a part is supplied it is for a very good reason and if the instructions say do it this way, then do it that way.

So here are my customisations and experiences!

20221105_101327.thumb.jpg.daa7dcd7074aae48a4f17f3627b11db5.jpg

Initially I completely removed A to open up the space to allow components to fit, but found that B was sagging down in the middle (with a much lighter turntable at the time). Relocating A slightly (drilled new dowell holes) strengthened the unit up again. Also found that placing the supplied felt pads (see below) at each corner initiated a sag at C, so I also added felt pads centrally to correct that.

The 4x1 unit is being used horizontally instead of the designed vertical. When I customised this one I moved the now structural panel from X to Y (dowells drilled) to suit my use. At Z doubled felt pads are required to prevent sagging.

Screenshot_20221105_103837.png.30c13c2d6c20423bd4d0eb689333c3a7.png

20221105_101640.thumb.jpg.074abc4e1b9ece2dff7647706ff59e67.jpg

This unit is great for playing around with components and also can store bits and bobs. Mounting the wheels revealed how little "meat" there is in the outside panels. Probably only 2/4 mounting screws found any acceptable material to screw into. Gluing on some timber base mounts might help.

20221105_101549.thumb.jpg.d0980e777f0cf2ea4ca5772514f73507.jpg

No customistion here, I just don't see 3x4s being used that often. Fitted my available wall and floor space perfectly.

Edited by zenikoy
  • Like 7

FURTHER REFLECTION-I do not know what a Kallax is?? On checking it is IKEA their site shows the $189 unit in sideways use supporting a TV. 

I do not like where this is going and if it is made like the LACK Table of compressed paper I'M out of here!

The weight will tell you if it is very heavy it is MDF.

Guest crankit
26 minutes ago, Richard Tremain said:

FURTHER REFLECTION-I do not know what a Kallax is?? On checking it is IKEA their site shows the $189 unit in sideways use supporting a TV. 

I do not like where this is going and if it is made like the LACK Table of compressed paper I'M out of here!

The weight will tell you if it is very heavy it is MDF.

Compressed fibre board

2 hours ago, Richard Tremain said:

1 hour ago, crankit said:

Compressed fibre board

aka 'compressed paper'?  :o

On 30/10/2022 at 1:57 PM, Richard Tremain said:

Ikeas Lack Tables have been constructed differently over the years from the poor sounding original plastic ones to the current absolutely atrocious sounding ones made from compressed paper, do not go there.!

Like all things audio, best to try out and hear. I replaced my expensive rack with stacked Lack tables about 15 years ago and have continued with that. Think I bought them for about  $10 at the time and about $15 about 3 years ago. Have them on spikes and also use whites anti vibration pads under the spike shoes. More recently added further isolation using Agora megahexa and Apptlig butcher blocks on top of the table.

3F07D9AD-1FA2-4603-9746-62B3FA2246AB.jpeg

3D42FCEE-CC42-4B52-B482-79FD18567EE7.jpeg

CE75388E-A414-4DAF-AA2E-F5F8D7FB0CE7.jpeg

On 05/11/2022 at 9:10 PM, zenikoy said:

As a transient apartment dweller I've "heavily invested" in the finest Kallax for my audio needs 😉

The genius and downfall of Kallax is that its engineering balances multi usability and minimising material useage (saving production and shipping costs). Generally, if a part is supplied it is for a very good reason and if the instructions say do it this way, then do it that way.

So here are my customisations and experiences!

20221105_101327.thumb.jpg.daa7dcd7074aae48a4f17f3627b11db5.jpg

You obviously have less OCD than I do!  :lol:

Given I wanted to use a 1x4 on its side - to provide a nice shelf for my TV - I would've put the 2x2 next it ... the same way round.  (IE. not with the top plate overlapping the sides!  :o )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyr said:

You obviously have less OCD than I do!  :lol:

Given I wanted to use a 1x4 on its side - to provide a nice shelf for my TV - I would've put the 2x2 next it ... the same way round.  (IE. not with the top plate overlapping the sides!  :o )

The 2x2 has about 35kg sitting on the top panel so structural strength trumps OCD 😂

I thought the most triggering items for OCD SNAers would have been the cabling mess, "imaging destroying" items between the speakers and the pot plants on the speakers (vinyl wrap). If I were a sadist I would add a photo of the rear cable carnage.

• Haha 2

IKEA sell hardware accessories to secure their products to the wall. I would be inclined to use multiples of the 2 by 2 Kallaxes and screw them together. once again IKEA sells all the hardware to do this. Bunning now sell a copy of the Kallax but their quality is aweful.

1 minute ago, 075Congo said:

IKEA sell hardware accessories to secure their products to the wall. I would be inclined to use multiples of the 2 by 2 Kallaxes and screw them together. once again IKEA sells all the hardware to do this. Bunning now sell a copy of the Kallax but their quality is aweful.

You'd be so conservative to do multiple 2x2's? I could do 3 x 2x4's. I've filled a 4x4 before with no issue, a little nervous about the 5x5 though!

3 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Is filling one of these with records a bad idea?

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/kallax-shelving-unit-white-10353586/

image.png.231a0561eae917bec6cc67b64cadd720.png

If it is too much weight for this item, what is the largest Kallax you'd go for to store your vinyl? 4x4, 2x4, etc?

I’ve had them chock full of records for years and never had an issue. 
I’ve just replaced my old 4 x2 and now have a 4 x 3 and it’s sturdy as you could want. Lots of people use them for vinyl storage. 
My old one used to be chock full of cookbooks that are extremely heavy and that didn’t bother it either. First bought in 2009 and is still looking the same today 

• Like 1