Pink Floyd - HD Tracks

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Whew, wonder if they're really any better than the ripped CDs.

Hopefully someone reports. I ripped a lot from vinyl a while ago which sure killed the CDs (2000s reissues). The 2016 vinyl was excellent, so here’s hoping as much effort was put in.

Edited by TheBlackDisc

5 minutes ago, TheBlackDisc said:

Hopefully someone reports. I ripped a lot from vinyl a while ago which sure killed the CDs (2000s reissues). The 2016 vinyl was excellent, so here’s hoping as much effort was put in.

My limited experience with hdtracks versions has been positive. It never ceases to amaze me how there can be so many releases of the same things, and all different in ways that make little to no sense. However I have all original CDs from their first (mostly Japanese) pressings and from everything I read, they were the least worst.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

My limited experience with hdtracks versions has been positive. It never ceases to amaze me how there can be so many releases of the same things, and all different in ways that make little to no sense. However I have all original CDs from their first (mostly Japanese) pressings and from everything I read, they were the least worst.

Those are worth some $$$ now - especially a particular (don’t remember which) WYWH.

I have the MoFi CD of the wall, which is excellent.

Edited by TheBlackDisc

33 minutes ago, jgunner said:

I get an error saying product not available in your country.  Are you'll using VPN to download?

Yes something sophisticated like a VPN, like almost all HD tracks releases these days I'm afraid not available from AU.

Edited by Ittaku

9 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Yes something sophisticated like a VPN, like almost all HD tracks releases these days I'm afraid not available from AU.

Sound wise did you detect any improvements with what you get get through Tidal via Roon?

Does anyone have that website that compares different releases of Dark Side of the Moon?

I've checked and the size albums I purchased are as they advertise highres, though the 192/24 releases have almost no musical energy above 48kHz so nothing more than the 96/24 releases would have. None of them show any clipping from my investigating so far.

The DR as reported by Roon are:

Wish you were here 13

The Wall 11

DSOTM 11

Meddle 10

Animals 11

Obscured by Clouds 9

1 minute ago, jgunner said:

Sound wise did you detect any improvements with what you get get through Tidal via Roon?

I don't do Tidal.

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Does anyone have that website that compares different releases of Dark Side of the Moon?

I've checked and the size albums I purchased are as they advertise highres, though the 192/24 releases have almost no musical energy above 48kHz so nothing more than the 96/24 releases would have. None of them show any clipping from my investigating so far.

Wish you were here 13

The Wall 11

DSOTM 11

Meddle 10

Animals 11

Obscured by Clouds 9

I don't do Tidal.

https://dr.loudness-war.info

I imagine you could submit these new ones. Haven’t DL yet myself - will do tonight.

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Wish you were here 13

The Wall 11

DSOTM 11

Meddle 10

Animals 11

Obscured by Clouds 9

I don't do Tidal.

Ops here I am assuming! 

24 minutes ago, TheBlackDisc said:

https://dr.loudness-war.info

I imagine you could submit these new ones. Haven’t DL yet myself - will do tonight.

Thanks, that wasn't the one I was thinking of per se - there's a website devoted to JUST Dark Side of the Moon releases talking about the definitive CD version we alluded to above, but this will do fine. It seems these HD releases comparable to the best CD releases.

2 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

Looks like they don't have "Is there anybody out there?" - one of my favourites...

Sure it is, it's on The Wall.

• Like 1

Okay I've listened to excerpts from most of the albums and can say there's not a great deal in it compared to my early release CDs. (Bear in mind I've cautiously ripped all of them and upsampled them so there may be an advantage compared to relying on transported synchronous CD data with its timing and other issues so there may be other advantages to using highres files). At best I'd say these are clean transfers, at no stage is there any clipping, and there appears to be a lack of a certain haze or hash that was there in the original CD releases and a lower noise floor. Otherwise dynamically and tonally they'd be hard - if not impossible - to tell apart. These are remasters only, not remixes. The Wall still remains by far the best sounding album (even though DSOTM has the reputation but no doubt it's actually the music that gives it a higher audiophile reputation than it deserves). I did have a rip of the SACD of DSOTM and concluded it was basically a bad and faulty digital effort and should be avoided unless the rip was somehow at fault.

This new highres collection is probably the definitive digital version of the Floyd collection. I'd recommend the 96/24 versions unless you're a nutter like me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:
3 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

Looks like they don't have "Is there anybody out there?" - one of my favourites...

Sure it is, it's on The Wall.

I was assuming you were joking? About the superlative live recording...?