Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

Glad to hear it!  If this problem reappears in a few months, consider replacing the router (if possible and not tied to ISP modem) by a non-mesh standard WiFi 6 router from TP-Link or Asus.

Edited by wklie

On 03/07/2023 at 11:53 AM, wklie said:

Your feature request is noted.

Hi, any timeframe when the feature will be added? Track names displaying while using Airplay.

Miss this feature as my previous Arcam streamer had this..

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is a question for Peter Lie or anyone who can chime in with their view points.

The Lumin X1 states it can process at PCM 768, has anyone tried, heard or can verify this. The reason I ask, due to people I know

that have different brands stating they can process at 768 PCM on their brochures, but fail to in practice. 

Appreciate any feedback as I'm really enjoying the benefits of PCM 384 and DSD512.

cheers,

Frank.

Yes, we tested it on X1 before we released it.  However, outside of test purposes or upsampling, it would be exceedingly rare for music to be recorded in 7xx kHz.  Most people who like upsampling will do DSD512 upsampling anyway, so the 7xx kHz PCM rate is unimportant and dropped in most of our other analog output (i.e. internal DAC) models.

Edited by wklie

Status of Lumin playing Tidal Hi-Res FLAC:

I have been asking Tidal to provide the technical resources to allow for Lumin app playback of Tidal Hi-Res FLAC via Tidal native API, and for Lumin Tidal Connect.  Until this happens, Lumin playback of Tidal remains the same as before.  Tidal MAX albums will usually become MQA instead of the new Hi-Res FLAC versions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, manta_act said:

Has Lumin considered adding I2S to its products - especially U2 and newer models

Why?  Most DACs do not have i2S and people resort to adding a DDC, further complicating things.

If you want better sound quality, go down the path of a T3, P1 or X1. They are streamer / DACs which will exceed, at equivalent price points,  many combinations of streamer plus DDC plus DAC plus cables.  And you will save lots of effort, time and money....

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 4

Today Lumin announced D3 in Hong Kong High-End Audio & Visual Show 2023.

LUMIN D3

D3 compared to D2:
- New analog output stage originated from T3
- New processor from T3
- Upgrade from WM8741 DAC to ES9028PRO DAC (this PRO-class DAC beats all the mobile-class ES9039Q2M, ES9038Q2M, ES9028Q2M, ES9028K2M, ES9069, ES9068AS, ES9018*, ES9016*, etc.)
- Support Tidal Connect

- AirPlay2 compatible
- Upgrade from maximum DSD128 to maximum DSD256 playback
- Upgrade from DSD64 resampling to DSD256 resampling
- New finishing

D3 compared to T3:
- D3 is a cost reduced version of T3
- Single ES9028PRO DAC chip in D3 instead of Dual ES9028PRO DAC chips in T3
- Maximum DSD256 in D3 instead of maximum DSD512 in T3
- No USB audio output (to external USB DAC) in D3 but supported with T3

- When using non-zero analog balance adjustment, Leedh Processing Volume is disabled (no such restriction in T3)
- Smaller dimension

Edited by wklie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2023 at 11:30 PM, Blackspider777 said:

Hi, any timeframe when the feature will be added? Track names displaying while using Airplay.

Experimental firmware sent to you.  For U2 / U2 Mini / T3 only.

• Like 2

For users who purchased a Lumin Roon Ready network streamer in 2023, you may get a 60-day Roon trial code by e-mail info@luminmusic.com with subject “Request Roon trial code” with a photo showing the invoice (with Lumin model, date, and dealer).

Note that Roon requires a Windows 10 / 11 / Mac computer with 16GB RAM.

Edited by wklie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be obvious to most users, but for a long time, Lumin app on Android looks slightly less good than on iOS. We spent a significant amount of effort to improve the font rendering and fine tuning for Lumin Android app 5.9.0, such that the visual quality is now basically on par with iOS.

7 hours ago, wklie said:

Android looks slightly less good than on iOS

Im trying to imagine that, fortunately I don't have an android device.  Here is a screenshot of the Lumjn app interface...

IMG_0781.thumb.png.a5332ce840428546359b7f7f60e4e2b0.png

I bought a $7400 device, it sounds great, it's been a bit flaky but I assume it will get there in time.  The app, well I'd start again.  Checkout the much cheaper Eversolo app, the Naim app or even the MiniDSP web interface.  I think the comparison of the device display between the Eversolo and the Lumin are reflected in the apps.

Over the last few days while streaming Tidal my P1 has been randomly locking up and requires switching off the mains power and back on again to reboot it and unlock it. When it locks up nothing works on the app or the handset.

I finally did a factory reset and all was good yesterday, but its locked up again tonight.

Is anybody else having similar problems when streaming Tidal?

To verify the hardware, please put a few 16/44.1 FLAC files on a USB thumb drive.  Plug it into the P1 USB port.  In Lumin app, select the library to be Lumin USB Music Server.  Clear the playlist, add those files to the current playlist.  Turn on repeat.  Let it play for 24 hours.

@wklie

Thanks Peter for the advice, I will have to get a USB Thumb Drive with some FLAC files on it as I don't have any at the moment to play.

However, the first P1 lock up was when playing 16/44 FLAC files from Radio Paradise, but mostly streaming Tidal, as I use that much more.

I also noticed when playing MQA files that momentarily the App display switches from MQA 24/192 or 24/96 to FLAC 24/48, sometimes the sound also glitches and sometimes it does not - Not sure if Tidal is causing this as part of their FLAC Hi-Res Roll Out/Testing or not or whether it's the internet connection or the P1, it was always stable and locked on MQA before.

I will do a factory reset on my ISP Modem tonight to see if that makes a difference, maybe the internet connection is momentarily glitching, but I don't notice any WiFi device problems so far. The P1 is hardwired straight to the ISP Modem.

2 hours ago, MoonDrifter said:

@wklie

I will have to get a USB Thumb Drive with some FLAC files on it as I don't have any at the moment to play.

There should be some free FLAC files / samples scattered among different web sites.

Perhaps try this (I just did a web search and found this):

https://archive.org/details/MusopenCollectionAsFlac

2 hours ago, MoonDrifter said:

I also noticed when playing MQA files that momentarily the App display switches from MQA 24/192 or 24/96 to FLAC 24/48, sometimes the sound also glitches and sometimes it does not

When a MQA file is corrupted and fails MQA authentication, the display will change back to FLAC momentarily.  When the MQA authentication succeeds again, it will change back to MQA.  This is not normal, and rarely occurs in practice.

Since internet-based streaming is prone to other internet or ISP factors, that's why it's necessary to do local file playback test.

If you don't have a thumb drive, you may also install the free MinimServer to a computer or NAS.  Put those FLAC files in the music directory configured in MinimServer.  In Lumin app, choose MinimServer to be the library.

Edited by wklie

@wklie

Thank you for the further advice. My nephew has a drive with FLAC files he will lend me so will try this when I get it and report back.

I did the factory reset on my ISP Modem and have used the P1 for about 3 hours streaming Tidal with no lock ups or sound glitches although the MQA files still momentarily switch to FLAC indication and back the sound has not been affected tonight.

Hey guys,

I have a T3. Have looked through manual online with no results.

Just wondering if theres a way to add multiple albums to the playlist without playing them  (playing later)?

Cheers

Andy

Edited by billy170468