Sub-$800 amp recommendations for HD800, HD6XX

Hello all. First time poster here.

I'm currently driving an Audioengine D1 with HD6XX, and want to upgrade my gear. My endgame can is the HD800S as I am absolutely in awe of the soundstage on it, and want to get something that will be a good upgrade for now while making the most of this when I convince the Minister of Finance (ie the wife) that it's not a ridiculous amount to spend on headphones. I'm looking for now at the amp, as I can temporarily use the D1 as a standalone DAC before replacing it (currently favouring the Modius for this).

I'm currently flip-flopping on the amp options. I originally settled on the Asgard (as my reading seems to suggest some favour Schiit for Sennheisers as a well suited pairing) but have started leaning to the Jotunheim (for similarity to the Asgard while adding the balanced option, plus it's not currently a 6 week wait...). I'm wanting to canvas some other options before I pull the trigger. The Drop + THX 789 comes up as an in-between price option. ANything else I should be considering, or that people would recommend? Or should I just go for the Jotunheim and get that more immediate gratification?

Thank you all!

Edit: Probably should mention usage. Gaming and music during work hours. On a metal / grunge kick at the moment but like some classic rock / jazz / vocal heavy stuff when not in an overwork-fuelled heavy music funk.

Edited by unclejim

Would suggest adding the Topping A90 to the list - quite few in use in this community.  Plethora of reviews online, including with specific headphones.  Plenty of power and very clean / natural presentation.  A2A tend to stock and support (which I had need to call on when I had a Topping DAC DOA!).  Come up second hand regularly as well.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that, as it's one that I had considered but price-wise it's a jump up from the Jotunheim (assuming not buying locally), so I thought it hard to justify over other options. I'll give it a second thought though.

The HD800S is lean. Its soundstage is very impressive. Imaging, resolution etc all awesome for the price.

I think for rock/grunge/metal its a bit too lean. But if you're sold on it (for its price, it's hard to find much to compete/better it) then I would suggest an amp with a meatier sound. 

So that sort of narrows it to Class A type amps, or tube / tube-hybrid amps. I wouldn't personally match it with a 789 or A90.

Asgard is a good budget option. Jotunheim also, adds the balanced aspect and just overall better amp. 

Buying direct from Schiit is a good way to save a few $$ too. And the Modius stacks with the Jotunheim. And you could add a Lokius later to stack further, and turn those bottom two dials up to actually get some bass into the cans. So not bad pathway. High value for money.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

The HD800S is lean. Its soundstage is very impressive. Imaging, resolution etc all awesome for the price.

I think for rock/grunge/metal I'd a bit too lean. But if you're sold on it (for its price, it's hard to find much to compete/better it) then I would suggest an amp with a meatier sound. 

So that sort of narrows it to Class A type amps, or tube / tube-hybrid amps. I wouldn't personally match it with a 789 or A90.

Asgard is a good budget option. Jotunheim also, adds the balanced aspect and just overall better amp. 

Buying direct from Schiit is a good way to save a few $$ too. And the Modius stacks with the Jotunheim. And you could add a Lokius later to stack further, and turn those bottom two dials up to actually get some bass into the cans. So not bad pathway. High value for money.

One day (when we're out of the latest lockdown) I'm planning on auditioning the HD800S alongside something like the Focal Clear, which could sway me. But I just love the instrument separation (and comfort) of the Sennheiser and figure I can adjust some of the low end deficiencies with some EQ.

Thanks for the suggestion of Class A type amps. I've done some reading and come across the A / AB nature of the Schiit Continuity architecture but admit I don't know a great deal about the pros and cons of different amp classes (other than power consumption and heat output). One for the weekend since my plans have evaporated.

Generally.

THX sounds very very nuetral and crisp. For me, sucks the life out of every song.

Most Opamp based ones like the Topping and SMSL that everyone raves about are similar, not quite as bad.

And then the sort of hefty Class A type amps tend to lean warmer / meatier.

The Clear is a punchier headphone, better for rock etc. Trade offs being a much narrower soundstage obviously.

For a wide variety of music, one can, open, sub $2000 I'd think the Clear or Clear MG (or either Pro version) is the best choice. Followed by HD800S.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've been doing a bunch of research, having wanted a HD800S for quite a while and only just purchasing one recently. 

Circumstances found me buying a Dethonray Honey H1, which is said to have some synergy with the HD800S due to its warm leaning sound signature. Most of the advice I've come across when searching seems to advise this is the way to go, avoiding neutral/clean amplifiers. Tubes seem to be often advised, and hearing the HD800S fed by some tubes during a listening session at minidisc some time ago is what really convinced me I wanted a pair.

If you need a DAC/amp and can stretch a bit past $800 the Xduoo TA-30 is on my list of maybes, and seems very well reviewed. On the other end of the spectrum I'm also considering the Xduoo MT-604 which is a balanced only amp with a bunch of pretty tubes.

• Like 1

Sub $800

If you can find the legendary German Lehmann Audio Linear D/SE whichever version of it ..

One of the best amp I have heard under $1000 or maybe even $1500

One of the best HD800 pairing known.

btw:

A2A used to sell it , they still might have some stock . Call & check if u keen on this amp .

Edited by peppy

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've been given a lot of options to look at. After checking them out and comparing pricing, I've settled on just dipping my toes into the water and sticking with the Asgard. Given I can get amp and DAC at the same price as the Jot (let alone the Tipping or Lehmann suggestions) it seems a safe upgrade without going overboard.

I tried THX 789 with my HD800S recently, wasn't a huge fan it was just 'ok'. That's from an RME-ADI 2.

BUT what sounded much better and solid synergy wise is SMSL SP200.

Quite a difference, and what I kept in the end.

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Really?

THX789 and SP200 I'd have a hard time telling apart I reckon.

SP200 is so small and cheap, really is a bargain for what you get SQ wise.

True man 100% big difference, almost night / day performance wise, at least with HD800S.

6 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Hmm, weird. Win win though!

You can out a metal volume knob on too to make it feel a bit nicer

Yeh, If one thing let's SP200 down its lack of any weight turning the volume wheel, feels a little cheesy.

I had both amps arrive the same day and tested them side by side, my original intention was to keep the THX 789 and just see how the SP200 sounded but it worked out differently.

Okay, given the seeming  impossibility of getting a current model amp from Schiit at the moment, I'm reconsidering (again, stupid indecisiveness). Thoughts on the Jotunheim 1? Given Schiit are still clearing out some of these, at a sub-$300 USD price are the savings over the Jot 2 justified without compromising too much?

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a quick (final) update as I've now got the new setup running (well, mostly - AusPost seem to have lost my balanced cable).

My new desk setup is a Modius paired with a Jotunheim 1, with balanced interconnects. The SE is currently plugged into a RCA to 3.5, into an Apple 3.5 to Lightning to plug in mobile devices. Still running my cans SE until the aforementioned cable reappears.

Absolutely happy with it. I thought it wouldn't be a noticeable difference but I've noticed so much more in little details with it.

Thank you to everyone who commented, even if I didn't follow your recommendation I certainly gave it a look over as an option.

Now, however, the missus has taken exception to the noise leakage from the HD6XX, so i've been looking over closed cans...