Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I have a KFWS-60S1 where the optical block started to go 22 months after purchase so I took Sony to small claims court in Victoria (VCAT) the other week and have now got Sony paying for the cost to replace the Optical Block and I am being charged $150 for labour costs. There are also cases known recently where 2 people had their TV's replaced with 52" X Series Bravia LCD's. I am definately done with Sony after this, they have not shown any committment to after sales service regarding this common fault.

I have a KFWS-60S1 where the optical block started to go 22 months after purchase so I took Sony to small claims court in Victoria (VCAT) the other week and have now got Sony paying for the cost to replace the Optical Block and I am being charged $150 for labour costs. There are also cases known recently where 2 people had their TV's replaced with 52" X Series Bravia LCD's. I am definately done with Sony after this, they have not shown any committment to after sales service regarding this common fault.

Fair enough comment there. But where you say common fault, you can't really call a similar fault in 2 distinctly different model ranges and display types a common fault as it implies they use them same optical block, which of course they don't. I do feel bad for those who have had the run around either seemingly from Sony directly or more often incompetent service agents (especially in Priory's case), there are people such as myself how have had quite a few Sony TV's from CRT's to SXRD to LCD's, not to mention several projectors, and never had a fault in any of them.

My X 46" seems to have developed a shadow - patch at top left of screen, about the size of a spread out hand. On a light blue picture, looks like grey dust.

Anybody seen this sort of thing ? Is there a fix I can do or should I call Sony and get somebody out to look at it?

tks

jp

My X 46" seems to have developed a shadow - patch at top left of screen, about the size of a spread out hand. On a light blue picture, looks like grey dust.

Anybody seen this sort of thing ? Is there a fix I can do or should I call Sony and get somebody out to look at it?

tks

jp

can you see a whiteish patch in the same area on a dark or black screen like when you change inputs?

if yes call sony warranty support

i recently had my 46x3100 repaired twice in the last 6 months and then replaced due to this problem.

you can also have a look at this link

http://www.sony.com.au/articles/article.js...ategoryId=30607

although it didnt help with my problem at all, infact it made it worse.

but you can try it.

Guest J4YGR4Y

i posted my issue in another thread, but to show you all how bad my problem is see

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1228904

and Sony say this is within specifications and acceptable. i can still clearly see the clouding when i do what Sony's press release says...

VERY annoyed. im contacting the dept of fair trading asking for a refund as a repair will be the same at best, or even worse.

i posted my issue in another thread, but to show you all how bad my problem is see

and Sony say this is within specifications and acceptable. i can still clearly see the clouding when i do what Sony's press release says...

VERY annoyed. im contacting the dept of fair trading asking for a refund as a repair will be the same at best, or even worse.

That's nasty, I wouldn't put up with that either!

Edited by djOS

Sony will always try to get you to take one of their LCD's in replacement. They did me and I refused and got a cash refund when my 60inch SXRD started turning itself off.I found them easy to deal with at this level but, as usual, they took no notice to begin with.

thats exactly what my was like twice

panel was replaced twice

then tv was replaced

Hi All,

Sorry to butt in on all the new Bravia Owners but I was wondering if anyone who has the X series KDLX2000 range (aka XBr2) could reply

Firstly,

I am miffed about the lack of EPG I know it is a firmware lock for the AU range, anyway I was also wondering if anyone has managed to upgrade the firmware on it if so how?

I noticed a hidden port around the antenna inmwhich looks like an SD card slow (was hoping for a USB port too)

If it is possible then I will chse up UK firmware and update it with that (I know lots of ifs etc)

Thanks for any replies

Got a quick question regarding the 46X3100's digital optical out.

Currently i have our 46X connected via optical to our Onkyo 605 receiver's GAME/TV input. Seems to pass audio fine, however when theres a Dolby Digital audio source from one of the HD channels, its still passed as 2ch to the amp? Why is this?

My understanding is that the HD channels etc are 5.1ch when they claim 'Dolby Digital' or am i wrong to assume this?

Ive set the amp to 'Direct' which should play the sound exactly how it is received from the TV and it comes out as 2ch. No other sound mode will give me 5.1ch (unless of course the 'simulated' PLII and Neo6).

What am i doing wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Currently i have our 46X connected via optical to our Onkyo 605 receiver's GAME/TV input. Seems to pass audio fine, however when theres a Dolby Digital audio source from one of the HD channels, its still passed as 2ch to the amp? Why is this?

My understanding is that the HD channels etc are 5.1ch when they claim 'Dolby Digital' or am i wrong to assume this?

Ive set the amp to 'Direct' which should play the sound exactly how it is received from the TV and it comes out as 2ch. No other sound mode will give me 5.1ch (unless of course the 'simulated' PLII and Neo6).

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Your setup sounds like it is fine (mine is connected the same),the reality is most programs on HD are broadcast in dolby digital 2ch.Some movies are cast with 5.1 but just because it says dolby digital does not mean it is 5.1.

P.S If you want to check that your 5.1 is working ok switch on your tv on the weekends to ch9HD or ch7HD when they are running the loop as this is broadcast in 5.1.

Check the settings for the digital tuner; its default audio mode is MPEG stereo, believe it or not. You have to manually enable Dolby Digital:

Digital Settings / Audio Setup / Audio Output Control

Note that the TV will not pass any audio through in Dolby Digital if it's coming in via HDMI. This is so you don't pirate stuff, supposedly (!). 5.1 Dolby Digital output is only available from the inbuilt tuner.

I am miffed about the lack of EPG I know it is a firmware lock for the AU range

I'd put money on the fact that it's simply a feature not supported by the tuner card.

I noticed a hidden port around the antenna inmwhich looks like an SD card slow (was hoping for a USB port too)

It's a Memory Stick slot.

I am miffed about the lack of EPG I know it is a firmware lock for the AU range, anyway I was also wondering if anyone has managed to upgrade the firmware on it if so how?

I sure don't miss the FTA EPG on my XBR46. I had an EPG on a previous TV but since some stations (e.g. Nine) don't (or rarely) provide this information, it was kind of useless. A good online tv guide is at www.ebroadcast.com.au.

Check the settings for the digital tuner; its default audio mode is MPEG stereo, believe it or not. You have to manually enable Dolby Digital:

Note that the TV will not pass any audio through in Dolby Digital if it's coming in via HDMI. This is so you don't pirate stuff, supposedly (!). 5.1 Dolby Digital output is only available from the inbuilt tuner.

Yep, setting changed :) Will update with how it went next time i watch a DD show. (Yeah kinda lazy, changing the setting and not testing it :P lol)

I knew that 5.1 is only from the inbuilt tuner, but i dont really get why?

Bought a KDL-32W4000 and started to set it up to view photos.

Connected a USB memory stick with JPEG images on it and everything worked as expected, except that the thumbnails of some photos did not appear on the screen only the blank outline. The slide show however was great with all the photos being displayed.

The lack of thumbnails was annoying and it appeared that if an image was edited after it had been initially downloaded from the camera (Canon PowerShot) then the thumbnail information that the Bravia required was "lost".

Found that the problem could be sorted by editing the image in ZoomBrowser and saving it from there. Even if the image was edited in another package first, such as PhotoShop, doing a final save in ZoomBrowser enabled the thumbnail info to be retained.

And DRM that makes even less sense than usual. I honestly cannot see how it "protects" anyone's content.

Paranoid ppl/organisations do stupid things.

case in point RIAA suing 30,000 yanks for downloading music illegally. :rolleyes:

Your setup sounds like it is fine (mine is connected the same),the reality is most programs on HD are broadcast in dolby digital 2ch.Some movies are cast with 5.1 but just because it says dolby digital does not mean it is 5.1.

P.S If you want to check that your 5.1 is working ok switch on your tv on the weekends to ch9HD or ch7HD when they are running the loop as this is broadcast in 5.1.

Tested. And the DD light lights up on the receiver when i put it in the 'Direct' listening mode, however still not 5.1ch. Only tested with the demo loops so im guessing theyre not 5.1, which is fair enough. Ill have to give it a go on a weekend or when a movie is on to test if its 5.1ch.

Cheers for the help though! :)

Tested. And the DD light lights up on the receiver when i put it in the 'Direct' listening mode, however still not 5.1ch. Only tested with the demo loops so im guessing theyre not 5.1, which is fair enough. Ill have to give it a go on a weekend or when a movie is on to test if its 5.1ch.

Try "Bones" on 7HD tonight - that should (at a guess) be in 5.1.

Guest scooper09

Sony Bravia KDL-40W4500 help.

I set it all up today.

The LCD seems to turn off randomly to standby with 8 red flashes.

8 times-Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.) seems to be the error code i found on the internet.

The audio also sounds very scrambly and doesn't sound right.

This happens when we try to use HDMI DVD player and Foxtel SCART component.

However, works perfectly with XBOX 360 HDMI.

A very weird problem. Kind of disappointing considering its a quality LCD. I'm still under warranty so thats alright.

Any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

Edited by scooper09