ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

Guest TigerTribe5

I have connected a Pioneer DVR and Pioneer LX508A to the 605 via HDMI. When listening to a CD, the audio signal does not pass through the 605 unless you turn on the TV. Once TV is turned on sound can be heard through the speakers connected to the 605. I suppose one solution could be to connect an audio cable (optical or coaxial) if I want to just listen to music without the TV being turned on. This isn't a good solution however since it goes against the whole point of using the HDMI to run video and/or audio using one cable and not have to run a separate audio cable.

I have emailed Onkyo but have not received a response yet.

Does anyone have an HDMI settings solution?

I have connected a Pioneer DVR and Pioneer LX508A to the 605 via HDMI. When listening to a CD, the audio signal does not pass through the 605 unless you turn on the TV. Once TV is turned on sound can be heard through the speakers connected to the 605. I suppose one solution could be to connect an audio cable (optical or coaxial) if I want to just listen to music without the TV being turned on. This isn't a good solution however since it goes against the whole point of using the HDMI to run video and/or audio using one cable and not have to run a separate audio cable.

I have emailed Onkyo but have not received a response yet.

Does anyone have an HDMI settings solution?

This is because the Onkyo is looking for a valid component at the end of the "HDMI chain" for copy protection reasons. <_<

With the TV off it can't find one so won't process any incoming signals from a HDCP enabled device (such as your DVR) over HDMI.

Your only two solutions in this case are to either make and additional connection for audio only (S/PDIF or Optical or analogue) or get a second player just for CDs.

On the plus side a good quality dedicated CD player will likely give you a better audio result if you use an analogue connection...... ;)

Guest TigerTribe5
This is because the Onkyo is looking for a valid component at the end of the "HDMI chain" for copy protection reasons. <_<

With the TV off it can't find one so won't process any incoming signals from a HDCP enabled device (such as your DVR) over HDMI.

Your only two solutions in this case are to either make and additional connection for audio only (S/PDIF or Optical or analogue) or get a second player just for CDs.

On the plus side a good quality dedicated CD player will likely give you a better audio result if you use an analogue connection...... ;)

Thanks ... (I had to google HDCP for its meaning - I kind of understand).

Will make an extra connection for now & maybe go down the dedicated CD player path later.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have set it to upscale to 720p in the hidden menu but now foxtel displays in 4:3 instead of 16:9 anyone else have this problem?

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but did this ever get resolved with the 605?

Cheers.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have got Onkyo 605 hooked ub by hdmi to sony bdp550 bluray and dpp2 beyonwiz. Problem I am having is the receiver keeps turning off when I am playing a bluray, but not when using Wiz. Have checked speaker wires and none crossover. Any suggestions as i find it very annoying.

• 3 months later...

My 905 cuts off sound on regular 2 minute intervals while I watch TV. This only happens when I sent audio from the STB through HDMI. So now I send it through component cables ( video through HDMI). Has anyone else come across this?

I suspect the culprit may be the STB. Its a cheap aldi one. I dont know what version of HDMI, the STB has. Anyone with a bit more knowledge abt HDMI versions can throw some light?

BTW the firmware on the Onkyo 905 is 1.08

• 3 years later...

• 6 months later...
Guest scratchy

Hi all,

My 2.5 yr old 609 now has not sound coming out....i read about the HDMI board problem on the net...locally where do we go to go fix this and is it worth it to repair??

Can i use RCA in and out to my TV as a temp measure?

i did noticed it last week but i on and off quite a few times before the sound came out...now tried many times and still no sound...abit frustrated..

thanks in advance...

Hwee Seng (Electronics) Pte.Ltd.

Distributor

Address

81 Genting Lane #02-02, Everich Industrial Building, Singapore 349566

Phone

+65-6746-3355

Fax

+65-6743-1704

but hv you try with other devices input w/o using hdmi or when playing fm is there any sound?or maybe at spk setup?

Changing of mb w/o warrenty is a bit costly.

Happen to get a copy of the catalogue and found the SRP with GST , so just input for info. Maybe cheaper in individual shop offer.

TX-NR5010 - S$4,500

TX-NR3010 - S$3,700

TX-NR1010 - S$2,799

TX-NR929 - S$2,499

TX-NR828 - S$2,099

TX-NR727 - S$1,699

TX-NR626 - S$1,299

TX-NR525 - S$1,099

929 confirm no sub EQ?

Thx

Unfortunately the answer is 'yes'. For dual sub owners, pls steer clear of Onkyo 929. But before I dismiss this Audyssey SubEQ HT, fwiw there are 2 subwoofer pre-outs for Onkyo 929. You can still use two subwoofers in your setup but the correction filters will be applied simultaneously to BOTH. So in this case, you will probably need to "co-locate" the two subwoofers together at the same location to yield positive results.

For those who do not know what the heck I am talking about...SubEQ HT is the panacea for dual subwoofer implementation for HT. The benefits of dual subwoofer implementation have already been covered many times in the past and I shall not dwell on it. I am rather surprised, not really "disappointed" that this latest model from Onkyo has this feature omitted...I guess it cost Onkyo quite a fair bit? But if you say the omission of SubEQ HT feature in Onkyo 929 is due to "cost"...then how do we explain the latest flagship model offering (i.e. AVR-X4000) from Denon actually comes with SubEQ HT and is cheaper than Onkyo by almost $600! But having say that, you can see that the extra $600 has been channelled to other features in which Onkyo believed to be more worth the R&D dollars...this is probably, if not the only AVR in the last 2013 to feature bluetooth and Wi-Fi for those who wishes to bypass the DLNA media server...

Anyway back to SubEQ HT, the omission of this feature does not really affect me as I have the Audyssey AS-EQ1 that comes with the SubEQ HT feature should I need to go "dual-sub" in the near future.

UPDATE: I just read on the Audyssey website that SubEQ HT is actually incorporated inside the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration suite; meaning there is NO ADDITIONAL licensing fee required to include this feature inside...Apparently Onkyo is the one that decided to omit this feature altogether and it has nothing to do with cost. Chris Kyriakakis, CTO and founder of Audyssey in his response to a member's query quoted the following:

"So far only AVRs with XT32 have incorporated Sub EQ HT, but it's not a requirement.  Any AVR maker that wants to add the Sub EQ HT functionality can do it." - Chris Kyriakakis

Source: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/20953442-SubEQ-HT-vs-MultEQ-XT32

Hmmm...does that mean, Onkyo can add in this feature via a firmware patch since it is a software algorithm and does not need any extra hardware component to do it?

And I also see in this latest iteration that Onkyo also added a larger (very conspicuous) heatsink to ensure efficient dissipation of heat generated mostly from the HDMI board during operation. This time round, the Onkyo 929 utilize the Marvell QDeo chipset which many *believe* will provide equal superiority vis-a-viz HQV chip. Many users imputed the "heat-problem" which eventually lead to the "frying of the  expensive HDMI board" to be the doing of the HQV chip, however there is no proof to substantiate. Whether is it true or not, the heat generated by this latest model does reduce quite a fair bit but I still recommend to place the AVR on the very top of your AV rack for optimum ventilation.

Besides the copious amount of heat wave generated by the AVR being the infamous "trademark" of Onkyo, there is another bugbear - i.e. the "clicking sound" as one switches from one video source to another or cycling through the various DSP modes in the likes of DTS HD MSTR, Audyssey DSX, Dolby ProLogic IIz etc, I am happy to say that there is a vast improvement in this latest model. The "annoying sound" has been subdued so much so that it is no longer a concern for distraction anymore. The switching is much faster and delay is almost a thing of the past. I also noticed that the Audyssey calibration is more refined and extremely accurate in its reporting. The computation time has also improved a lot. This is based on my experience from my last Onkyo AVR I am using - i.e. TX-NR3008. Perhaps the abovementioned improvements which I have experienced is nothing to shout about for 3010/5010 users? :P

I am also fairly surprised that the stereo mode for normal music listening is rather acceptable...I saw this new features called "PMBass" - which stands for Phase Matching for Bass. Again I am not sure whether this is a new feature or a feature which already existed in 3010/5010 unit...But I can tell you that it does wonders to normal stereo listening. The idea is to minimize or eliminate muddy bass and enhance mid-bass to achieve clarity in vocals. And the results is surprisingly good...I streamed a high bitrate flac music file via bluetooth to the AVR with the PMBass 'On' and I am quite pleased with the overall sound stage, gone are the days of "bright and harsh" elements that plagued 2 channel stereo listening. Well done Onkyo!

The bonus for me is to finally able to utilize ALL my 11.1 speakers at one goal...thanks to the external amplification built in to this model. I have a Tangent stereo power amp that has been used to power up my bass shakers in the past...finally I can put it to good use. the bass shakers is currently re-routed to the additional Subwoofer Pre-Out" channel on the AVR to get that LFE response. So I have the best of both worlds now.

Compared to Denon AVR-X4000, Onkyo really shines in movies...the entire sound stage becomes wider and the surround sound effects becomes more "enveloping", dialogue is crisp - same as AVR-X4000 I will say...and more importantly, the entire auditory experience becomes more "pronounced"...without the fear that your AVR can't go the distance...I used to dial the volume setting to -18db to get the "feel" going for my Denon X4000 but now with the Onkyo 929, -22db can already achieve that desired "effect"...

Thanks for the detailed writeup

Which of the current model for Onkyo that has XT32 and SubEQ?

I know that Denon is a "polite" AVR versus Onkyo. I have been using Denon for eons and wanted some excitement and added dynamics in my movies. 

x4000 is super cheap for sure and was on my radar since it was launched. But I know I have others like Marantz 7008 and this 929 to compare against. 

Newer models of Onkyo should be cooler already.

Example, my 818  run much cooler than the older models such as 505. 818 has 2 cooling fans, and it very, very rarely activate during my typical usage in 26 degrees Celsius room.

Comparable temperature to my previous Denon 1911.

The newer 828 is actually a downgrade compared to 818.

818  vs  828

135 watt -> 130 watt

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 -> Audyssey MultEQ(not even XT)

9.2 channels pre-out -> 7.2 channels pre-out

NO Differential DAC Mode for Front Channels

NO Isolated Power-Amp and Pre-Amp Block

18.3kg -> 15.0kg

SNR (Line IHF-A): 110dB -> 106dB

828 no - D-Sub (15-pin) VGA Input

- Rear USB Input

- Analog Audio Input

Thanks for the detailed writeup

Which of the current model for Onkyo that has XT32 and SubEQ?

I know that Denon is a "polite" AVR versus Onkyo. I have been using Denon for eons and wanted some excitement and added dynamics in my movies. 

x4000 is super cheap for sure and was on my radar since it was launched. But I know I have others like Marantz 7008 and this 929 to compare against. 

Most of the AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 should have SubEQ HT feature incorporated...UNLESS stated otherwise. Best is to do homework first before committing. I always do that. You won't go wrong...can't reply on the sales chap to help you on this as there is simply too many models in his shop for him to recall everything. So do homework first. My previous model Onkyo TX-NR3008 has SubEQ HT feature...but its a waste for me as I already have the correction filter dialed in before I do my Audyssey calibration.

My personal advice...

Both Marantz and Denon have pretty similar implementation when it comes to feature wise...X4000 is definitely a more VFM deal compared to Marantz 7008 AVR which is $50 shy of $2K last I heard...Marantz is renowned for its "audiophile grade" components...but when it comes to movies, X4000's performance should be on par with Marantz 7008...Both are rated at 195W per channel driving at 2 channels via 8ohms. So it depends on your requirements, if you want the best of both worlds, then Marantz 7008 can be a better deal.

Onkyo on the other hand is known for its home theatre prowess when it comes to movies...So if you grown "tired" of Denon's "mellow" sonic characteristics and wish to "inject" some excitement into your movie watching experience...then perhaps your next upgrade, you can consider getting Onkyo for a change, it will bring a "new form of auditory experience" altogether, while I can't promise you will like what you hear but its definitely a refreshing take.

I have Antimode but would like one less equipment if there is subEQ as I will be setting up 2 subs in different locations. Definitely would like to try Onkyo but I have to sort out the physical issue of fitting into my rack as its too tall and also the SUBEQ missing feature. If SubEQ is there then I will strongly find ways to fit it into my setup ;D