Denon AV Owners Thread

Hi all denon amp users,

Ive jus got a denon 1911 n im happy wit it so far.

I would like to know, i hv a cd player NAD 531i ( very old model).

It only hv a 20 bit DAC.

I was wondering, if i connect the digital coax out frm the cd player to the denon digital coax in, will it improve d sound? Meaning, i wan to use d denon AVR DAC for my cd player.

Is it even pssoble to do tis?

Thank u all for ur advise.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello 4311 owners. I am considering upgrading my existing Yamaha Rx-V2065 to a Denon 4311. I have Kef iq90 fronts and a Kef iQ60 Centre. Just wondering if anyone has heard this Denon with these speakers and would like to offer their opinion, if they go well together. I've struggled to find any kind of comparison between the Denon and Yamaha sound.

Thanks,

Blonk

My old KEF's and Denon worked well together. I auditioned a set of IQ70 fronts and IQ50 rears when I was looking for new speakers recently, sounded great with a Denon 4308. I have no basis of comparison with a Yamaha AVR as I'm not a fan of them, they sound too bright for my ears.

Cheers

Gary

My old KEF's and Denon worked well together. I auditioned a set of IQ70 fronts and IQ50 rears when I was looking for new speakers recently, sounded great with a Denon 4308. I have no basis of comparison with a Yamaha AVR as I'm not a fan of them, they sound too bright for my ears.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for sharing your opinion Gary. I went and had a listen to a 4311 today with a variety of speakers. They didn't have the same model Kef's but had the later model Q series. They were the preferred sound for me, and sounded similar enough to the Kefs I have, so I took a punt and bought one. For anybody in Sydney after one,I can recommend Apollo Hifi in Marrickville. Very happy with the price I paid for a silver one. The black are slightly more expensive. For anyone interested they also have an AVRA100 anniversary model in stock.

Blonk

This may have been asked:

I just got a Velodyne SPL-1000R, which has it's own calibration, so do I run Audyssey first, then the Velodyne's sub calibration or vice versa?

Cheers.

Velodyne first should provide better results

hi guys,

a non related topic but has anyone been on the audio products website lately?

has anyone noticed that in the "news" section they say that the 4311s now come with airplay enabled.

wonder if they are going to give us who already have one a free upgrade?

i wont hold my breath!

hi guys,

a non related topic but has anyone been on the audio products website lately?

has anyone noticed that in the "news" section they say that the 4311s now come with airplay enabled.

wonder if they are going to give us who already have one a free upgrade?

i wont hold my breath!

If you mean a refund if you've already paid for it, I doubt it, but I bought one a week ago, still had to fax in a form to get it registered, but no charge to do it. I wasn't that fussed about using it, just a nicetie, glad I didn't pay for it has it seems to cause crashes in iTunes if you try skipping too many songs, and at other random times.

Edited by blonk

If you mean a refund if you've already paid for it, I doubt it, but I bought one a week ago, still had to fax in a form to get it registered, but no charge to do it. I wasn't that fussed about using it, just a nicetie, glad I didn't pay for it has it seems to cause crashes in iTunes if you try skipping too many songs, and at other random times.

so would you pay for it

so would you pay for it

Personally, no, I have been using an apple TV which gives a little more flexibility with the use of the main zone. With the issues I've had I'm glad it was free or I'd be pretty upset.

Hmmm anyone tried getting it free for an imported unit? How did you get the form?

I got the form from the audioproducts website

http://www.audioproducts.com.au/downloadce...egistration.pdf

I guess you'd have to invent a local distributor to add on the form, but otherwise might be worth a go. I just put N/A in the payment section.

I’m vacillating over whether to look for a 4311 or a 3312.

On paper the big attraction of the 4311 for me is the pre-amp mode.

I’m already running Rotel power amps and use a SVS AS-EQ1 for the subs (both for 2-ch & HT).

Is anyone using their 4311 in pre-amp mode, and does there seem to be any benefit?

Is anyone using their 4311 in pre-amp mode, and does there seem to be any benefit?

Yes but i didn't notice any real difference. Can't a/b test it of course in situ so it's all a bit subjective.

Seems a shame to have those amps sitting there doing nothing but ....

Edited by fawlty99

AVS forum members who have tried the pre-amp mode have reported a v slight improvement...

If the power amps used are of modest quality, I don't think the yield will be stunning. Many of the members used the Emotiva ones, which are rather basic.

I will be using a XPA 3 for the LCR, and the main reason is so I can go 11.2. Cheers.

I'm vacillating over whether to look for a 4311 or a 3312.

I'm already running Rotel power amps and use a SVS AS-EQ1 for the subs (both for 2-ch & HT).

My cousin and I set up my uncle's original mix of a 4311, an Emotiva XPA-2 and and XPA-3 and there is no doubt that the power amps made a noticeable improvement. That's using Paradigm Signature S8's and a CC690, which sounded so much better, especialy at low volumes than they did with the 4311 alone. He has since returned the 4311, it had problems, and he uses a UMC-1 as his HT processor and a USP-1 for stereo listening.

Cheers

Gary

My cousin and I set up my uncle's original mix of a 4311, an Emotiva XPA-2 and and XPA-3 and there is no doubt that the power amps made a noticeable improvement. That's using Paradigm Signature S8's and a CC690, which sounded so much better, especialy at low volumes than they did with the 4311 alone. He has since returned the 4311, it had problems, and he uses a UMC-1 as his HT processor and a USP-1 for stereo listening.

Cheers

Gary

I've already got the power amps, which I plan to keep.

The question is whether the ability to turn off the amps on the 4311 makes any noticeable difference.

fawlty99 - actually, for what I'm looking for, it can be tested in situ

ie 4311 connected to external power amps, switch between having the internal amps switched on or not.

Is there just the potential power saving, or is there a sonic difference?

first time I came accross this word. Makes me feels like a literally dunce it does :huh:

Crist

I doubt you have vacillated over a hi-fi purchase - well not for too long anyway.

Life is too short for vacillating.

Benje

I’m vacillating over whether to look for a 4311 or a 3312.

I’m already running Rotel power amps and use a SVS AS-EQ1 for the subs (both for 2-ch & HT).

4311 or 3312 ? 4311 surely ?

no way I'd go a 3312 youd be better off an older 3308 or 4308 which are better amps and will cost you less !

if thinking 3312 as a pre amp, a marantz 7005 would be better option as it is basically the 3311/3312's pre amp stage and costs about the same :)

no way I'd go a 3312 youd be better off an older 3308 or 4308 which are better amps and will cost you less !

When you say 'amps', are you referring to the power amp part of these AVRs, or the pre-pro part?

if thinking 3312 as a pre amp, a marantz 7005 would be better option as it is basically the 3311/3312's pre amp stage and costs about the same :)

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the Marantz. I'll look into that one.

When you say 'amps', are you referring to the power amp part of these AVRs, or the pre-pro part?

~

all around, pre pro, dac processor, power supplies and also power amps fit finish build ... the 3311/3312 are really replacements of previous 2 series denons