Full closed back headphone set up advise.

1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

Oh well, your advice came just a smidgen too late, I was probably in the process of purchasing the Topping whilst you were writing this. Time will tell! My wife has already eyed the Topping off to run from her Korg SV2 which for some inexplicable reason doesn’t have a headphone jack, it might fit the Bill perfectly when I get the upgrade itch.

The Questyle is fair bit more though. $2200 new :S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Kevy said:

If you like the T5P’s that much I have a first generation pair that are unlikely to get a gurnsey over my other headphones. I’d consider paying it forward as they’re so used. They’ve only just had a cable redone as one failed and the QC from the repair is typical of Australian work. 

It’s on my to do list to take some photos and give the Melbourne service centre a piece of my mind. 

The focal Bentley radiance are great if you enjoy the warm signature. The previous generation Focal clear whilst not closed are worth a listen too. 

What an incredibly generous offer Dr Kevy and one I would happily take you up on. I will obviously cover postage and make a donation to SNA. They would be ideal for not just my enjoyment but for my wife to use with her Korg and the little Topping. I will send you a PM.

First things first I better pay Bengineer before he changes his mind!

E3A30AC0-4E34-469F-A327-403C1BBDBDF9.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Mmm, Strat. I should get mine out of storage, I have a orange sunburst one being neglected.

Indeed you should, they need a good thrashing to keep their mojo up!

We are extremely happy now the wife has her music room completely set up. Thankfully band practice isn’t held at our place.

My thanks to everyone for their advice and knowledge.

I must confess the Sony’s would not have been on my radar without this thread. I can also understand why people would enjoy one set of headphones over another or keep a couple of various flavours on hand depending on their mood or choice of music at any given time. It has been a very interesting investigation.

Cheers everyone.

• Like 4

Sorry to open this back up, but I wanted to warn you about microphonics with aftermarket cables for the Z1R. I recently bought a very nice Litz copper wire sheathed in paracord from Aurealis Audio. Bad choice on my part. The microphonics were terrible vs. the Sony's stock cable. Just something to keep in mind. I reckon Ben could hook you up with something more appropriate.  

Also, if you're keen on the locking connectors (I like them myself), according to Geoff at Aurealis, the locking 3.5mm connectors the Sony uses are not a common part. In my case he had to order them, which added $50 to the overall cost.

Edited by Bill_F
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill_F said:

Sorry to open this back up, but I wanted to warn you about microphonics with aftermarket cables for the Z1R. I recently bought a very nice Litz copper wire sheathed in paracord from Aurealis Audio. Bad choice on my part. The microphonics were terrible vs. the Sony's stock cable. Just something to keep in mind. I reckon Ben could hook you up with something more appropriate.  

Also, if you're keen on the locking connectors (I like them myself), according to Geoff at Aurealis, the locking 3.5mm connectors the Sony uses are not a common part. In my case he had to order them, which added $50 to the overall cost.

Cheers Bill, always good to piggyback on others experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill_F said:

He uses quality litz and Atwood paracord. I think with paracord, it needs to be looser. Like the Forza Noir. Uses 550 paracord probably to Geoff's 425 size.

Either way not my jams. Much prefer the stock jacket.

@franky995 How's the microphonics on that Empyrean cable? I found it to be pretty good from memory? Or @RePete. Notice much microphonics? Both have a braided cable with no sleeving added.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Bengineer said:

He uses quality litz and Atwood paracord. I think with paracord, it needs to be looser. Like the Forza Noir. Uses 550 paracord probably to Geoff's 425 size.

Either way not my jams. Much prefer the stock jacket.

@franky995 How's the microphonics on that Empyrean cable? I found it to be pretty good from memory? Or @RePete. Notice much microphonics? Both have a braided cable with no sleeving added.

The braided cable Bengineer made for me is lightweight, flexible and not microphonic. A massive improvement on the garden hose the Grados came with 

B427029C-A90F-4D51-B22E-F6DFDB3B65F2.jpeg

9C1CACF2-3CC2-4BF6-B695-AC5EFE0F5F77.jpeg

• Like 2

I haven't tried making a braided sleeved one, like the Aurealis / Forza Noir. But I don't feel the need. I like the exposed metal look, and if it isn't microphonic, I don't see a point.

Just waiting on A2A to ship my bar solder (you'll be shocked to hear that their "in stock" doesn't mean in stock. It means you can send them money for them to then order it, same with a lot of their products....) so I can braided up these thiccccc litz ones.

• Like 2

Have to say I haven’t really noticed microphonics with this one but maybe I am the wrong person to ask as it hardly bothers me with headphone cables for my desktop. I don’t really move around much so wouldn’t notice it.

image.jpg

Edited by franky995
  • Like 2

Microphonics are minimal from the silver plated Meze Empyrean cable upgrade. It is a very, very nice cable. I wish they used the LEMO connectors that Focal Utopia does but that's my only gripe.

8 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Microphonics are minimal from the silver plated Meze Empyrean cable upgrade. It is a very, very nice cable. I wish they used the LEMO connectors that Focal Utopia does but that's my only gripe.

You like the Lemo?

They are just annoying that nothing else uses them. 3.5mm and Mini XLR are the most common for sure. Ideally everything would just use 3.5mm. They are compact, cheap, heaps of options and no locking mechanism.

If I tug on my headphone cable, I want those puppies popping out. Not holding on until something breaks.

They are here already! In perfect order, they present as brand new, nice one @Bengineer.

Early appraisal. Very easy to drive, no problem straight out of the iPad.

The amp however gives them extra speed which is very beneficial.

I am not sure they are suited to the Rega Saturn R’s DAC. It is also a very smooth performer. I feel that will marry better with something with a little more gusto. 

They are really a pair of Gale 401’s for your head. Rich and smooth they don’t beat you up trying to show off. They simply relax and make music. Quite frankly they sound the way you dreamed your HiFi would sound when you were young, before the world of Audiophilia had us chasing forced detail and thin sound.

Rock On

B2168B8A-4E3A-49C2-A610-0D1585D216F4.jpeg

7FA8E1C4-C744-4675-95CD-C5B58B692688.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I never tried them on that stand, looks like it fits in perfectly :D

Enjoy!

It does mate, actually looks like it is factory built for the job. 

6 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

It does mate, actually looks like it is factory built for the job. 

Thank you for shopping with Bengineer Industries. I'll email you seasonal brochures and 2-for-1 deals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely go to a different level playing via the CD player, not a bad piece of kit the old Saturn. Far more dynamic and detailed. 

Due to my complete inability with computers I have managed to stop Tidal streaming to my Squeezebox . No USB out on the iPad so I can’t connect to the Saturn DAC. I won’t work it out but I will persuade someone who can to get it all working again!

I think however I will leave the Saturn and Squeezebox for the hifi, save up some cashola and invest in a little DAC. I figure I can just run straight from the headphone jack to the DAC ? Still don’t quite understand that Tidal is analog but can be connected to a DAC.

Anyhow, the headphones are great!

Headphone jack of where?

Are you trying to listen to Tidal directly from your iPad (but improve sound quality with a external DAC/Amp) ?

If so, you want a neat little DAC/Amp combo, and the right USB cable. Something like a Audioquest Dragonfly or Chord Mojo or any plethora of iFi products

Exactly right Bengineer. My iPad however is the cheapest version. No USB out, only a headphone jack. Can I connect to a DAC in this manner using a stereo headphone plug to twin RCA? 

It works fine direct to the little amp but I can not connect to my CD Player/DAC in this manner as all its digital Inputs are USB, Optical or Coax.  

Sound quality iPad to amp with Tidal is great but the CD player blows it away. A little slow and veiled via the iPad but CD is spot on, dynamic, detailed and the timing is correct. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

8A6FD685-0B21-4D73-9BAF-BF6D79499B40.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Exactly right Bengineer. My iPad however is the cheapest version. No USB out, only a headphone jack. Can I connect to a DAC in this manner using a stereo headphone plug to twin RCA? 

Your ipad should have a lightning port?

You would need the 'camera adapter' lightning to USB - and use that to plug into DAC

The headphone jack to RCA will only be outputting analog signal to something else (i.e. it has already gone through the built in DAC in ipad)