New digital direction

4 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

really that much different now? I tried comparing 2-3 years ago and barely can tell the difference

I even tested this on a very non audiophile type. They said mpd was so obviously better it wasn't even funny

21 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

really that much different now? I tried comparing 2-3 years ago and barely can tell the difference

Mpd SQ can vary with versions and has improved with recent ones.  Suggest you compare Mpd 0.22.3  with LMS 8 + Squeezelite as renderer.

Also, some people think LMS is more musical but others like Mpd for its details.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

22 hours ago, anewmission said:

Living snakeoil os, I would love a streaming os to have film clip functions, so filmclips from youtube, spotify and tidal could be watched from your streamer as well as having the quality audio from your dac.

Which is things I think will be implemented in diy streaming operating systems in the future and why I will stick with diy streamers

Why not install Plex or Kodi within SnakeOil OS?

41 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

I think that's the reason I stick with LMS last time I compare them since my headphone and speaker were on the bright side

So you did find a difference, and chose LMS because you prefer its sound...

p/s I prefer MPD, but use LMS for its Tidal integration

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Why not install Plex or Kodi within SnakeOil OS?

How would you install kodi within snakeoil? And would that use mpd for audio or just kodi's renderers? I have often wondered if I could somehow install the mpd wrapper within kodi.

People on the kodi/libreelec forums aren't so much into audio

20 minutes ago, anewmission said:

How would you install kodi within snakeoil? And would that use mpd for audio or just kodi's renderers? I have often wondered if I could somehow install the mpd wrapper within kodi.

People on the kodi/libreelec forums aren't so much into audio

SnakeOil 1.2 Beta is now on Ubuntu 20.04.  You could perhaps follow the links below, but note that my Linux knowledge is limited to following instructions and Googling for help !

https://linuxhint.com/install_plex_ubuntu-2/

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kodi-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

I believe both can play to UPnP renderers, so can use upmpdcli as the player.  ** But not sure how this can work with audio from video source??? **

More importantly, do not know how it impacts music SQ because anything involving video is likely to be resource heavy. Maybe only start Kodi or Plex when you need it???

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

SnakeOil 1.2 Beta is now on Ubuntu 20.04.  You could perhaps follow the links below, but note that my Linux knowledge is limited to following instructions and Googling for help !

https://linuxhint.com/install_plex_ubuntu-2/

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kodi-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

I believe both can play to UPnP renderers, so can use upmpdcli as the player.  ** But not sure how this can work with audio from video source??? **

More importantly, do not know how it impacts music SQ because anything involving video is likely to be resource heavy. Maybe only start Kodi or Plex when you need it???

Yeah I sometimes cast from upmpdcli via bubbleupnp to kodi. However the music drives are stored on the kodi machine and the minimserver is set up on the snakeoil machine . Haha so it's going back and forth. I don't know why but playing things to kodi via upnp always sounds thinner to me than playing directly from kodi's in built music player

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

So you did find a difference, and chose LMS because you prefer its sound...

p/s I prefer MPD, but use LMS for its Tidal integration

barely can tell the difference I think I choose more toward the familiarity of the remote UI. I use moode so might give MPD a try again it's an easy flip

12 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Yeah I sometimes cast from upmpdcli via bubbleupnp to kodi. However the music drives are stored on the kodi machine and the minimserver is set up on the snakeoil machine . Haha so it's going back and forth. I don't know why but playing things to kodi via upnp always sounds thinner to me than playing directly from kodi's in built music player

I have only limited experience with Kodi and Plex, so can only add some general comments.

How UPnP sounds on something varies tremendously and may or may not be better than native. And SQ can vary between receiving vs sending.  Only way to find out is try yourself... 

4 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

barely can tell the difference I think I choose more toward the familiarity of the remote UI. I use moode so might give MPD a try again it's an easy flip

Best Android app is MAFA, but you have to buy.  Also try free MpDroid.

@anewmission, suggest you test the following and compare SQ?

1. Mpd on SnakeOil (SO)
  2. MinimServer (SO) + upmpdcli (SO)
  3. KODI machine to upmpdcli (SO)
  4. KODI installed on SO
  5. KODI (SO) + Upmpdcli SO)

You can do 1, 2, 3 already.  1 vs 2 will give difference between Mpd and Upmpdcli. 2 vs 3 will compare 2 UPnP servers.  3 vs 5 will show whether running KODI on SO can impact SQ. 1 vs 4 is a direct compare of Mpd and KODI as players.  

• Like 1

@anewmission, suggest you test the following and compare SQ?

1. Mpd on SnakeOil (SO)
  2. MinimServer (SO) + upmpdcli (SO)
  3. KODI machine to upmpdcli (SO)
  4. KODI installed on SO
  5. KODI (SO) + Upmpdcli SO)

You can do 1, 2, 3 already.  1 vs 2 will give difference between Mpd and Upmpdcli. 2 vs 3 will compare 2 UPnP servers.  3 vs 5 will show whether running KODI on SO can impact SQ. 1 vs 4 is a direct compare of Mpd and KODI as players.  

i have done the first two, not a huge difference between mpd and upmpdcli

i might get a nas that i can install minimserver on? would that be a good idea

i have decided to go for the denafrips pontus. as long as it can be plugged directly into my power amp

2 minutes ago, anewmission said:

i might get a nas that i can install minimserver on? would that be a good idea

Found that MinimServer on SO machine better than on NAS. Note that MinimServer starter edition is free but sufficient for your testing.

5 minutes ago, anewmission said:

i have done the first two, not a huge difference between mpd and upmpdcli

What did you use as UPnP server?  

Found that MinimServer on SO machine better than on NAS. Note that MinimServer starter edition is free but sufficient for your testing.

What did you use as UPnP server?  

Do you have your hard drives plugged into your so streamer?

10 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Do you have your hard drives plugged into your so streamer?

Using an Intel NUC, with SSD for SnakeOil OS,  USB to Kii Three.  No hard drives plugged into NUC.  My music is on a Synology NAS.

Usually use Mpd for stereo music, LMS + upmodcli for Tidal access, and MinimServer for playing multi channel music to my Panasonic BD player (UPnP renderer). 

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Using an Intel NUC, with SSD for SnakeOil OS,  USB to Kii Three.  No hard drives plugged into NUC.  My music is on a Synology NAS.

Usually use Mpd for stereo music, LMS + upmodcli for Tidal access, and MinimServer for playing multi channel music to my Panasonic BD player (UPnP renderer). 

Ok currently we have similar setups, I wonder how snakeoil will play using a rpi4 with pi2aes hat using the i2s output

1 minute ago, anewmission said:

Ok currently we have similar setups, I wonder how snakeoil will play using a rpi4 with pi2aes hat using the i2s output

No experience with i2S and not likely to investigate because my end game is the Kii Three.

Why don't you post on SnakeOil forum for any one with experience with that config, or even with older Pi.