Installing DEDICATED power line to 2 channel system

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

That would be funnier, except that type of marketing actually seems to work on a certain segment of the market. ?

You know, from the moment I started thinking of nonsense accessories like that as jewellery instead of componentry, I don't feel so angered. If only they were more honest about that and the market knew it instead of believed the... oh well I better shut up as we're not allowed to debunk bollocks like this.

• Like 3

Well, slightly less exxy is Electra's VSD cable, no frou frou just standards compliant VSD http://electracables.com.au/index.php?page=variable-speed-drives-cables-3-cores-earth

The 1.5mm is under $5/m, the 6mm is under $10/m. And if anyone wants in to work with as an electrician or to hand it to theirs to work with, give me a yell. I'd be keen to split a reel a few ways.

• 2 weeks later...

THank you for all the responses...... can I say that I  am most appreciate of all the knowledge and experience of the forum members ...........   it's a good foundation to start with " the basics " before you engage on any audio project that is not your field......   will proceed now with a balance of costs, certification and sparkie  experience in this field  ......   will be a while before I report the actual differences in sonic  differences but rest assured I will ..........      all the best.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all those who have been involved in this thread 2 questions

are the new gogawatt circuit breaker and power cable conforming

and

could i get some links to the other circuit breaker and power cable lines used please. pm if need be cheers.

steve

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2021 at 9:55 PM, D’accordo said:

My power line.

I'm running 2 separate power lines to audio room using gigawatt cable.

At the main switch, I used Novaris surge filter and depoke DFS2 audio feeding 2 Gigawatt RCB.

I came across that Doepke a while back and bookmarked it.

It's the only RCCB made by a reputable manufacturer specifically for an Audiophile dedicated line.

What did you think after installing it? Or did you get a bunch of other stuff done at the same time making it hard to know?

Edited by agisthos

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing. They are both RCD breakers.

EDIT : My bad. I just noticed the pic. The Dopeke is upstream of the 2 Gigawatt in this setup.

The Dopeke is an RCCB, which apparently is an RCD without overload protection, but can detect earth faults.

Edited by agisthos

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

Same thing. They are both RCD breakers.

EDIT : My bad. I just noticed the pic. The Dopeke is upstream of the 2 Gigawatt in this setup.

The Dopeke is an RCCB, which apparently is an RCD without overload protection, but can detect earth faults.

Right. But if the gigawatt is an rcd with overload protection (I’m not sure. Just assuming) then why have 2 in series? Less would be more in this situation. 

Apologies for the questions but I’m about to instal a circuit myself but most of the items here are not approved for Australia. Ie all the gigawatt cable and breakers. 

27 minutes ago, DanFi said:

Right. But if the gigawatt is an rcd with overload protection (I’m not sure. Just assuming) then why have 2 in series? Less would be more in this situation. 

I thought the exact same thing. Why have them in series? As you say, less is better.

But I am not a sparky so do not fully understand, perhaps they do different functions. 

Edited by agisthos

• 1 year later...
On 28/5/2021 at 4:34 PM, DanFi said:

Apologies for the questions but I’m about to instal a circuit myself but most of the items here are not approved for Australia. Ie all the gigawatt cable and breakers. 

I’ve just been having a good read of this and chasing a few leads (pardon the pun).

One very useful link is https://www.electracables.com.au/variable-speed-drives-cables-3-cores-earth

So, doing a Google for VSD3060E finds a number of sites that sell it, but login is required to get pricing.

I’ll pass this to my electrician at this point.

There is another discussion of relevance here: 

And lastly, I have not been able to establish whether the Gigawatt in-wall cable is legal in Australia, but the VSD is and that will do me.

Great info, thank you everyone.

• Like 1

When we built our house, I had a circuit for the stereo system installed, 6 double power points, and a total of 12 power points, so no more power boards for me!

It wasn't enough... I also have two powerboards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I phoned Electra about the VSD cable, to find a local stockist. They doubted I would find one here in Tassie, so I will let the electrician order through a distributer - they named D&W, Lawrence & Hansen, AWM, and Rexel.

it’s sold in 100M rolls and Electra also do a per metre costing.

I am planning two separate screened power circuits. One for the amps, the other for everything else. And yes it will be great to get rid of power boards.

2 hours ago, Sounding said:

I phoned Electra about the VSD cable, to find a local stockist. They doubted I would find one here in Tassie, so I will let the electrician order through a distributer - they named D&W, Lawrence & Hansen, AWM, and Rexel.

it’s sold in 100M rolls and Electra also do a per metre costing.

I am planning two separate screened power circuits. One for the amps, the other for everything else. And yes it will be great to get rid of power boards.

I don't understand the reasoning behind using the VSD cable in a standard power feed? VSD cable is designed to stop the power feed to a Variable Speed Drive radiating EMI/RFI.. it doesn't remove EMI/RFI from the power feed...