How many of you use power regenerators?

Yes, as I reported earlier mine was the first unit in Australia to fail. It's gone back to the US for investigation. I haven't heard P10 in comparison, but field reports indicate it is a noticeable improvement over P5. Probably worth the extra $1800, although my preference would be for two P5's doing the job of a P10.

Being able to see the difference in THD in the AC power provides tangible evidence that power purification is not a black art at all and not to be scoffed at. You have now got me thinking that i should get a device that measures THD. From my perspective it would be good to see what effect there is before and after the balanced power supply, and to help further fine tune the setup.

They would if they had one to give me, but I expect to wait about 6 weeks for the next shipment to arrive...

Wow that's not very good. They should really give you as the wait time is beyond reasonable. I guess this is the only product in the world which does what it does well so .....

They would if they had one to give me, but I expect to wait about 6 weeks for the next shipment to arrive...

You being one of the early adopters should be taken care of by ps audio. One word of mouth has more credibility compared to 100k spent on advertising in the Green Guide I reckon especially in this sort of specialized field. Who else in their right mind would spend 4000 bucks on a power generator...I mean that is really a trip to Europe on the cheap for one person...but that person won't have holy Cole or Chris Botti waiting for the when they get back ! : )

Guys, if anyone wants to buy a ppp please let me know as aim about to ship it back to audio emotion. Unit is in perfect working order. I will pay for the 200 dollar shipping so you can take it off me for 1500 aud with full one year warranty from audio emotion. The ppp can handle my 160 watt integra high end amp and leema pulse amp concurrently and it still does not break a sweat. Yes, the p5 is better but i would have kept the ppp if tivoli hifi did not tempt me with the p5

Edited by lyndonlim

Hey brod,

I whacked in my leema amp, integer 8.8 which has two toroidals and cd player playing all at the same time and it only hit 20% load without breaking a sweat. I was playing Tron at pretty loud levels too. I noticed more detail and micro separation coming through in the rear channels. I guess the thing I like most with what the p5 does is that it seems to increase dynamic contrast between soft and loud passages of audio so you don't have to turn up the volume to get into the music or movie because there is greater insight from cleaner power. I noticed on tron in the first part where Jeff bridges is narrating that his speech was so much more intelligible and seemed less slurry to me. I can't imagine the p10 being any better but I am willing to try :) I haven't whacked in my sub woofer and projector in as yet...maybe I'll try the projector and give the svs subwoofer the main wall plug as it does draw a lot of peak power. I am interested to see whether it can improve the picture. In theory it should because it's a cleaner more stable power source so perhaps you won't get as much digital noise in dark portions hence better perceived blacks, more color stability etc...I'll let you know tomorrow night.

Edited by lyndonlim

Yes. The one thing I have noticed about PS Audio in my extensive web research is that they back up one and every customer fault claim. So despite the fact that their products aren't perfect, it is clear that they are committed to fixing the issues. Customers are accepting this because they know that no other product on the market can do what the PS Audio products can do.

That was what made me pull the trigger with PS Audio despite reading about the PPPs which had experienced issues. Also do remember that it is only a handfull of PPPs which are reported as faulty compared to the many thousands out there operating properly. Issues are okay if the company is willing to back it up with a fix.

Its like eating in a restaurant, sometimes you get a really rude waiter but you tolerate that because the quality and price of the food offsets this rudeness. So the other thing I noticed with owners with faulty PPPs was that they persisted with a fix because the product obviously did provide a unique solution to a problem for them and could do so better than anyone else can.

Yes. The one thing I have noticed about PS Audio in my extensive web research is that they back up one and every customer fault claim. So despite the fact that their products aren't perfect, it is clear that they are committed to fixing the issues. Customers are accepting this because they know that no other product on the market can do what the PS Audio products can do.

That was what made me pull the trigger with PS Audio despite reading about the PPPs which had experienced issues. Also do remember that it is only a handfull of PPPs which are reported as faulty compared to the many thousands out there operating properly. Issues are okay if the company is willing to back it up with a fix.

Its like eating in a restaurant, sometimes you get a really rude waiter but you tolerate that because the quality and price of the food offsets this rudeness. So the other thing I noticed with owners with faulty PPPs was that they persisted with a fix because the product obviously did provide a unique solution to a problem for them and could do so better than anyone else can.

when audio connection were the importer every single unit failed at least once, some more. hopefully they have rectified heat issues which were the major failings.

I ordered the p10 as everything that I have read and heard from dealers suggests that the p10 is significantly better than the p5. Tivoli guys were kind enough to let me keep the p5 while waiting for the p10. After my experience with the p5, I am finally convinced that every other future upgrade will be done in futile because my source pipe is feeding poor quality (non stable) AC into my equipment so I am never going to get to hear the full potential of my system of any additions because the mains power will just add too much "noise".

I strongly recommend that you take the p5 or p10 home for a demo as you'll find a signicant improvement even in a modest system. That is the only way to evaluate whether it is a worthwhile purchase.

Funny enough, I hear the issue of heat being cited as a problem yet I don't feel any heat coming out of the units even with my integra av amp plugged in and I mean "any"…its not even warm….so I never saw it as an issue.

I am really looking forward to my 35kg beast which is the p10. Even the p5 is incredibly heavy. It always feels good when you are spending a lot of money and it's heavy…at least the perception is that it cost them something to make the damn thing.

Speak to James in Tivoli and I am certain he will look after you very well if you are interested in testing out either the p5 or p10.

I contacted Airlink and they say they don't ship to Australia however asked if I had a courier account. I presume they are happy for me to arrange for a courier to pick it up from them. Anyone here interested in a group buy? Anyone with access to a courier?

I did the same. I'd be interested in a group buy. Either from Airlink, or some of the other tranny companies over here who can make them. I have no access to a UK courier though. Anyone?

The "heat" excuse was a furphy....I don't think PS Audio ever worked out why the Export version PPP had a significantly higher failure rate than the US version. It was blamed on overly high input voltages as well...that might have been true for some failures but they just didn't really know. Or they did know but never revealed why, although quality control was increasingly mentioned as an issue prior to the product being discontinued. It seems that if a PPP kept working for more than about a year you had a good one. Once you got past that first year they kept going strong. Fortunately they have a three year warranty (original owner only from memory), so getting failed units repaired or replaced was never a problem....although replacement was ultimately the usual remedy after failed repair attempts.

The "heat" excuse was a furphy....I don't think PS Audio ever worked out why the Export version PPP had a significantly higher failure rate than the US version. It was blamed on overly high input voltages as well...that might have been true for some failures but they just didn't really know. Or they did know but never revealed why, although quality control was increasingly mentioned as an issue prior to the product being discontinued. It seems that if a PPP kept working for more than about a year you had a good one. Once you got past that first year they kept going strong. Fortunately they have a three year warranty (original owner only from memory), so getting failed units repaired or replaced was never a problem....although replacement was ultimately the usual remedy after failed repair attempts.

Brod,

I reckon you are the user authority of PS Audio Power Plants in Australia. They should send any new products to your house for beta testing before they release it in the market. Of course they should also let you keep them. Wow I still can't believe your P5 died too. It could be something to do with the power supply in certain locations which causes spikes which the unit cannot handle. Generally, I believe all power everywhere in the world whereever you live is "dirty" in hifi context.

Brod,

I reckon you are the user authority of PS Audio Power Plants in Australia. They should send any new products to your house for beta testing before they release it in the market. Of course they should also let you keep them. Wow I still can't believe your P5 died too. It could be something to do with the power supply in certain locations which causes spikes which the unit cannot handle. Generally, I believe all power everywhere in the world whereever you live is "dirty" in hifi context.

If you read the PS Audio forums you will note that both P5 and P10's have failed.

As to the actual numbers we’ll never know I guess.

PS Audio may have made some changes in the next batch of export units and this is probably what is going to be delivered to Brodricj

I’m sure overtime PS Audio will identify and rectify the issues

I'm to understand the P5/10 specs were beefed up to cater for 280 Volt input transients...mine did not fail due to high voltage input, however they don't know why it broke, yet, hence why it's going back to them to find out. My replacement P5 is being air-freighted with the distributors next order, it should be here in the next week or so. I'm getting the -AU spec with US Style NEMA outlets (and I believe the P5/10 with Australian style outlets aren't too far away, and apparently the AC series power cables are going to be built in an Australian version as well).

If you set it to output as close as possible to the input voltage then you'll get the highest distortion reduction...also set it for best performance in the setup options (this means it will let the voltage output drift slightly whilst maintaining the lowest distortion output). I will put a HFT fuse in P5 eventually, when it has some hours on the clock and I'm satisfied it's reliable and not going to blow a $40 fuse.

• 9 months later...

I've just recently purchased and installed an Intelligent Universal Power Supply which not only saves me from bat induced power cuts but is supposed to clean up the mains in general use.

Can't say I've noticed a huge difference though.

Does seem like a good idea though.

Hi lyndonlim, how is the P5 going in your setup?

I upgraded to the p5 as I did a comparison and the p10 was better again...blacker background, greater dynamics and slam. The interesting thing is that richard tan brought a Lampizator l4 dac over. Plugged into the p10, it sounded flat and lifeless but straight into the wall brought the Lampizator back to life. Not sure why and how the Lampizator dac was able to handle crappy power from the grid better than the p10. With the p10, a lot of people have commented how quiet the noise floor with.

Hmmm

I upgraded to the p5 as I did a comparison and the p10 was better again...blacker background, greater dynamics and slam. The interesting thing is that richard tan brought a Lampizator l4 dac over. Plugged into the p10, it sounded flat and lifeless but straight into the wall brought the Lampizator back to life. Not sure why and how the Lampizator dac was able to handle crappy power from the grid better than the p10. With the p10, a lot of people have commented how quiet the noise floor with.

Interesting re the "Flat Lifeless" comment--from what I've observed from owners of the PS Audio PowerPlants overseas is the dull bass and squashed dynamics--(I did consider one up till then!)-now the notes above re "failures etc"

Sheesh --glad I bought the PurePower 2000i-- performs admirably and to spec without "fail"

Willco