Lumagen Owners & Discussion Thread

On 01/04/2023 at 2:49 PM, TP1 said:

I have found that using the Lumagen for switching  -  ie for both video and audio - gives better results in  terms of HDMI sync times than just passing video output from an  A/V processor.   

Yes ; good to appreciate too that an avr or pre pro can put things out of sync with deinterlacing scaling etc as well as built to a price not so hot bandwidth  throughput depending on make ..

Not to mention putting the lumagen after the processor complicating  switching depending on number of sources..

Separating audio and video is a theoretical nice to have with separate components i should add  :classic_smile:

Theoretically you can send a blank tmds signal for the video[ if sending audio only to the pre pro] which allows the 4k signal to pass through the lumagen unimpeded [which is a nice thought ] . Good to have both options i spose ..

Edited by cwt

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Yes ; good to appreciate too that an avr or pre pro can put things out of sync with deinterlacing scaling etc as well as built to a price not so hot bandwidth  throughput depending on make ..

Not to mention putting the lumagen after the processor complicating  switching depending on number of sources..

Separating audio and video is a theoretical nice to have with separate components i should add  :classic_smile:

Theoretically you can send a blank tmds signal for the video[ if sending audio only to the pre pro] which allows the 4k signal to pass through the lumagen unimpeded [which is a nice thought ] . Good to have both options i spose ..

Keep in mind that the HDMI standard is 102pS for jitter. The 4000 series is 80pS, the 5000 series is 45pS on the 18GHz output. The main competitor has been measured at 5-10 times higher & outside the spec (unfortunately this happens a lot in HDMI). This is on the video side @ 18GHz. The reason why people are getting better video results on many shootouts is that the projector brands Sony & JVC are using analog in the video chain & a reduction in jitter/noise makes a significant difference to perceived sharpness. Tony O’Brien reported this and was shouted down. There is a simple technical reason why & jitter/noise is it. On the audio side, the Lumagen 5000 series has been measured at 10pS!!! That’s insanely low. While you should get lower jitter on an audio output that’s running lower video res, it’s unlikely it will get that low. It’s why some people spend big dollars on a bluray player. I’d rather put that money into Lumagen, with all of the benefits. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

New beta firmware is now available - http://www.lumagen.com/docs/radiance_pro060623.zip

Beta 060623- Posted 061923  

Significant improvements to HDR dynamic tone mapping. With these improvements, it's recommended to set dynamic pad (DPad) to 1 and setting DeSat to On to take full advantage of the improvements. These HDR settings are available either by pressing left arrow on the Lumagen remote or in the menu under Input: Options: HDR Setup

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xPLAYRZx said:

New beta firmware is now available - http://www.lumagen.com/docs/radiance_pro060623.zip

Beta 060623- Posted 061923  

Significant improvements to HDR dynamic tone mapping. With these improvements, it's recommended to set dynamic pad (DPad) to 1 and setting DeSat to On to take full advantage of the improvements. These HDR settings are available either by pressing left arrow on the Lumagen remote or in the menu under Input: Options: HDR Setup

Woohoo 🎉 finally it’s here.

• Like 1

As always.....   Jim and team continuing  to provide terrific updates and improvements... 😊

That's the beauty of the "FPGA" based  architecture  of the Lumagen...   It can be updated and improved without the need for "Hardware " changes..👍

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 20/06/2023 at 7:28 PM, xPLAYRZx said:

Just finished installing... will take it for a test drive tonight.  Very good reports thus far.

Any feedback as yet?

Initial impression of the latest firmware are good, although I was already getting a great image  with the Lumagen.  HDR images are a little brighter in this release, and the picture seems a bit cleaner... maybe? I just had my projector replaced and calibrated so a few too many changes to confidently attribute them all to the latest firmware.  Apparently significant work has gone into improving de-saturation which should help challenging HDR scenes. I'll need to get through some more content to experience this for myself.  Overall though, it seems to be another improvement to a great product, I wouldn't hesitate to update your firmware to this beta release.

• 3 months later...

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, wooferocau said:

LRP firmware release imminent  ( Public)   any day now...

This is a very special build.......it is superb!!! ... first time i have been in awe with a test build  🙂

@Clarity Calibration - are you all over this one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xPLAYRZx said:

Also looking forward to this one.

The Dynamic range utilised now  is pushing 100% ... the very best by a long shot i have seen DTM from the LRP..

The Image clarity , depth , contrast  is superb........the image has an uncanny 'clean" look about it !!

🙂

Oh...... and NEW Menu tweaks...🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Administrator
On 05/02/2024 at 8:29 PM, wooferocau said:

The Dynamic range utilised now  is pushing 100% ... the very best by a long shot i have seen DTM from the LRP..

The Image clarity , depth , contrast  is superb........the image has an uncanny 'clean" look about it !!

🙂

Oh...... and NEW Menu tweaks...🙂

Is it available now?

Beta 012724 now available.

• More HDR dynamic tone mapping improvements.
  • Subtitle vertical shift feature fixed for letterbox bottom & top auto aspect modes.
  • Menu sizing and placement options added in the menu under Other: Menu Control: Menu Options.
  • Menu colors changed. 
  • Added ZQI54 rs232 command to read back auto aspect status, replies with 1/0 for enabled/disabled.
  • Some small bug fixes.

Lumagen support