RCA Splitters?

thought about this but its difficult as there is a TV etc in there too.

I have x2 turntables also with respective phono stages. That Beresford switch is becoming increasingly appealing as it will allow me all devices in and both amps connected to on the outs.

Some solid reviews on Amazon and I am familiar with another product of theirs that was very well built and gave not SQ loss. 

On 04/09/2020 at 2:55 PM, muon* said:

Edit: Not sure what you are doing on the output of amps to speakers end, but if the amps are valve amps remember that they need a speaker load any time they are active with a signal.

Thanks for this, because of this information and further researching I am not not looking at all into my original thinking of splitters.

I could run things entirely independent and manually switch cables with each amp usage but the concept of a switch box will actually allow me to use ALL my DACs and even Phono Stages and share them to both amps, thats something not even the splitter idea would have allowed - and the swtich will allow this to be safely!  I am also confident there will be no loss in SQ using the switch.

After researching I am pretty comfortable the Beresford TC-7240 is made to quality spec. I even contacted the manufacturer who identified some chinese copies out there of their product and the cheaper switches and RCA connecters they use. 

That and the fact I had the Beresford Amp/Speaker selector swtich (TC-7220mkii) which was falutless and functioned perfectly with no sound degredation had made me more  comfortable with the RCA switch box idea.

My query however is this.

Is it best to have the longer RCA runs from each device to the switch then shorter RCA run out to each amp OR have the shorter RCA runs from each device to the switch and the longer to the amp?

I am in position where I can connect x4 devices to this switch.  Each device connected to the switch would be a run of no longer than 3m and then from the switch to each amp would be 50cm.

I could also go in reverse and make the x4 devices connect to the switch with a few 50-80cm cables and make the run from the switch to each amp 3m.

Is there a preferrable way?

I am thinking my current RCA cable run from each device to the amp is no longer than 3m so keep it as is but use the switch in place of the amp and just add the 50cm RCA cables from switch to each amp. 

For some reason my mind tells me this is a better way to go than have a short RCA cable to the switch and then a long run to the amp.

Then again it might not make any difference which configuration is used but I would be happy to hear peoples thoughts/experience too

Sorry to be a drip on this subject folks. I am trying to ensure no damage to my equipment but also achieve my aim and avoid any opportunity to introduce SQ loss by setting things up ar5e about.

cheers.

17 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

thought about this but its difficult as there is a TV etc in there too.

I have x2 turntables also with respective phono stages. That Beresford switch is becoming increasingly appealing as it will allow me all devices in and both amps connected to on the outs.

Some solid reviews on Amazon and I am familiar with another product of theirs that was very well built and gave not SQ loss. 

I ll be in similar situation next year, I am planning to have 2 amplifiers.

37 minutes ago, andyr said:

^  ^  ^  what Ian said.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Based on the way my system is set up the most conveniant way is to have all devices running into the switch which I can place essentially where the amps are now and have the x2 small RCA cables from the switch to each amp.  My only hesitation albeit very small is still any room for SQ loss but i'll do a bit more digging around on that. 

13 minutes ago, Irek said:

I ll be in similar situation next year, I am planning to have 2 amplifiers.

I can recommend the Beresford TC-7220mkIII for that purpose. Allows 2 speakers and 2 amps but keeps connected devices separate.. I used that when I had my AVR and one integrated amp, now I have added in another integrated hence this thread.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/selector.htm

To have the devices connected and working with both amps this Beresford TC-7240 I am looking at now looks perfect for what I am wanting to do, but I will need to change speaker cables at the speaker each time I use integratged amp 1 or amp 2 or my AVR.   I guess it is possible connect both switches for the speakers/devices and amps but changing speaker cables is pretty easy each time I switch from my integrated amps to my AVR

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

...My query however is this.

Is it best to have the longer RCA runs from each device to the switch then shorter RCA run out to each amp OR have the shorter RCA runs from each device to the switch and the longer to the amp?

I am in position where I can connect x4 devices to this switch.  Each device connected to the switch would be a run of no longer than 3m and then from the switch to each amp would be 50cm.

I could also go in reverse and make the x4 devices connect to the switch with a few 50-80cm cables and make the run from the switch to each amp 3m...

Assuming you are using the same model of cable, the quality won't be any different if you use one long cable and four short cables, or one short cable and four long cables. 

However, I would use the four short cables and one long one, as this would allow you to buy better quality cables for the same budget.

9 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Assuming you are using the same model of cable, the quality won't be any different if you use one long cable and four short cables, or one short cable and four long cables. 

However, I would use the four short cables and one long one, as this would allow you to buy better quality cables for the same budget.

Thanks for this.

All my acables are Blue Jeans Lc-1.

I need to order x1 more cable to run from the switch to the 2nd amp, this will be the identical length as the one I have here now I plan to use that is 50cm.

I've been happy with the BJLC-1 cables, very very low capacitance, well shielded and well made.  I've been most happy with their SQ performance too.  I'd definately be just ordering x1 more short cable to ensure all cables are brand matched and also that the cables from the switch to the amps are identical in length. 

I think ensuring that the length of cable from switch to the amp being same is a good thing as it means any device fed to the switch remains as it is now in length ( but currently fed to the amp) and then the equal cable distance from switch to each amp.

Neither amp will ever be on while the other is in use but I like the idea of all things be equal for RCA over all distance from each device to  each amp.  Also, in my own head, I for some reason prefer that the long run is pushed from the device (as it is now to the amp) and only a small section is fed from switch.  Somehow in my head this potentially eliminates any chance of sound degredation and minimises the signal being pushed too far from a junction so to say -