Kodi Users Discussion Thread

Message added by Marc,

StereoNET does not endorse or condone piracy or accessing and streaming content via methods that bypass copyright holders or official methods of access.

Kodi released a statement regarding the use of its service and details of its General Public License, which you can read here: https://kodi.tv/article/in-defence-of-our-good-name/

The build I mentioned works well and is regularly updated , I have tried quite a few different builds and I like this one the best , it has worked with no problems for me for quite a while now.

This build has all the addons you mentioned and many more , I discovered addons I didn't even know about by installing the builds. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time for a Kodi update.

Last week the Trakt database got corrupted and crashed and has been down for a week.   As a result, a few addon's such as Seren (that I use) could no longer function.     Seren and a few others use Trakt to search/locate TV shows on the Internet for viewing.     

But as is always the case, the World of Kodi Addon builders quickly got some workarounds happening.    I loaded the Addon called Umbrella.   Umbrella can function without Trakt to find your shows.      It is working a treat, and if I am honest, probably performs quicker than Seren.

Seren looks like being the big loser in the Trakt crash of 2022.    Like most things on the internet, people move on very quickly because there is always another choice with the flick of a button. 

Kodi and the assorted Addon's continue to get better and better.    Get into it.   There are so many tutorials on Youtube to watch, if you are just starting out.    

Or drop me a PM if you have any questions.     Happy viewing.

Regards Cazzesman

• 2 weeks later...

From an absolute Kodi newbi

I'm running an ASUS Zenbook in my music room / theatre, but don't want o connect to my TV with HDMI.

Can I install the addons and successfully run Kodi on my Sony A90J and get the same functionality as I would on Windows?

Is there a way to run Kodi an my Zenbook, but display on the TV (or via the Oppo 203 or Marantz SR6015), apart from screen mirroring (not available on later Android TVs) or casting, which I presume would lose the audio quality?

Sorry about the newbi question, and for posting in the Kodi thread.

Do I just give up and run HDMI, and if so, to the TV the AVR or maybe even the Oppo.

Hi Don,

That's a few different questions to sort through.   

If your Sony is a smart tv then I believe so, according to the attached link.

https://www.technadu.com/install-kodi-on-smart-tv/8613/

Try that first and if it works then you won't need your Zenbook.    If the Smart Tv doesn't work, then the simplest way is to run it via HDMI to the TV.  If you don't have enough connections, then add a splitter.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-way-hdmi-splitter-with-4k-support/p/AC1710

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

For those interested in Kodi, I have to say the Addon - Umbrella, is working so, so, so well.

For those with decent internet speed, it is a no brainer.    Buy yourself a cheap Nuc or something similar that you can load OSMC or LibreElec OS.

Install Kodi (Matrix 19.5 Free).   Install Umbrella (Free).  Install Trakt (Free).   Sign up to Real -Debrid costs about $25 per month.

You are good to go.  Any TV show you want to watch.

When I talk to people about TV shows I have seen, they always ask.... "What streaming service is it on -  Stan, Netflix, Disney?"   

I say....."I have no idea I have Kodi".

Sure it takes alittle bit of figuring out, but damn is it worth the time spent.   

Regards Cazzesman

I have 5 Kodi setups. All working very well with streaming from my main pc using either Serviio or smp. 3 are in current use around the house.

I can also watch ad free catchup TV and live TV using Slyguy repo.

3 are on Android tv boxes . 2 have CorElec (latest 20RC2) 1 with Kodi 21 nightly.

No problems with any frames rates or resolutions. 

Boxes are 2x H96x2   and 1 X96 max

2 more are on 4k max Firesticks with Kodi 20. 

All the setups work seemingly flawless with the current apps and streaming setups playing into 4k HDR Samsung tv's.

The Firesticks also have BeeTV app for the content I have not got yet.

Another good app for all is Tuya. Many unique movies/shows available on that platform.

For live sport I use Sport HD.

One app I have been trying out recently is SpeedTest from the Kodi Repo.

I used it in the past on earlier releases with no issues.

The current one written for Kodi 19 and up just freezes on me after it pings the server.

Anyone tried the app and got it working on latest releases?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bazzle said:

Have you got details on where to get your build? I normally only use Kodi releases as Im not sure re others .

Is it this one? I dont use Debrid as it cost $$ :(

https://tinyurl.com/33mxz98u

No , this is the one I used https://troypoint.com/diggz-xenon-kodi-build/ , it uses a different URL to install from than the one you mentioned.

I have used the builds for a long time now as it just has everything I want/need in one install and I have never had a problem with them.

You have to use real-debrid (real-debrid.com) , I wouldn't even bother with using Kodi without it now and as mentioned it's very cheap , roughly $25 for 6 months.

Edited by DavidH71
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

@bazzle and @DavidH71,

I have never used a build.    I just like simplicity of one Addon that gives me TV shows and Movies.    With Builds, I always thought there was just more to go wrong.

What do you guys see as the Positives and Benefits of a build?  

Regards Cazzesman

Well as I mentioned I have been using them for a long time now without issue , through builds I found/discovered many different addons that I wasn't even aware off , especially motorsport (my main interest , TorqueLite) but also very good for all types of sport , movies , tv shows , documentaries , I just prefer the look of the build skins over the standard Kodi , I like to try many different addons as I have discovered through the builds they are not all the same , some just seem to find more sources than others and it allows me to easily try different ones out and it's just an easy one step install for all the different addons and wizards , the wizards are very good for maintenance , advanced kodi settings and also allow you to change builds/skins very easily. 

Edited by DavidH71
  • Thanks 1

On 14/01/2023 at 11:41 PM, cazzesman said:

When I talk to people about TV shows I have seen, they always ask.... "What streaming service is it on -  Stan, Netflix, Disney?"   

I say....."I have no idea I have Kodi".

And the next time you see them they say "Searched all over and can't find that streaming service, is it new ??" - DUH, as Homer would say !!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all Kodi users………all 4 of us.

I purchased a Zidoo Z9X today via the For Sale on SNA.   I plan to set Kodi up on it.    android OS.    I will see if it beats my Vero 4+.   

Anyone tried the Zidoo with Kodi?

Regards Cazzesman 

The Zidoo/kodi set up was pretty simple.   Found a Kodi APK file with Nexus 20.1 and it loaded quickly via usb.    Likewise with the Addon - Umbrella.    Nil issues.

The Zidoo plays all the codecs and HD formats.   The images look great on the LG Oled so happy with the purchase.    I wouldn’t say the image is better than the Vero4+, but the Zidoo does play Dolby Vision files. 

The Online ‘Remote Apps’ for both the Zidoo and Kodi work well.   Just abit of a pain swapping between the two on the IPad.   

The Zidoo looks like a quality product and at the $200 price, I think it was good buying.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

After about 3 1/2 years of running the Vero 4+ I lashed out and bought the new Vero V.   The 4+ has been retired to the Master bedroom.    My original 4+ was bought 2nd hand from SNA for not much more than $100 so it owed me nothing.   

https://osmc.tv/vero/

The new V is a complete remake, with the latest tech installed and some additional connections.    It comes with the OSMC operating system and is pre-installed with the latest Kodi Version.

Once up and running, all you need to do is install your favorite Add-on's and/or Builds.   

As per normal, I stayed with my KISS principle.   I loaded the Add-ons for Umbrella and CocoScrapers.   I activated my accounts for Trakt, Real-Debrid and Premiumize and within 30 mins I was watching shows.

With the higher specced MB and greater RAM, the V works far quicker than the 4+.    Images are crisp.  Still no Dolby Vision owing to the Licensing cost but DV images still play via the HDR10 or HDR10+ codecs.

$300 Australia delivered to my door.    Can be purchased via PayPal.   Build and shipped from the UK.

Great value for lovers of Kodi.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
  • Like 1

I have now setup my friends and relatives with 5 x fire tv sticks for KODI , (basic , 4k and 4k max).

All have performed very well with a snappy interface , seems to work as well as my NVidia shield Pro.

A good cheap option for anyone wanting to try Kodi , all instructions are easy to find on how to install Kodi on the fire tv sticks.

David

• Like 1

I also have 2 x 4k max firestick with Kodi (as well as my H96's and X96 with coreElec kodi.).

I find they work well on basic streaming and local files but they seem to require hard power resets and memory clearing regularly so they are retired to the spares box :0

Might think about selling them:)

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 11:30 AM, bazzle said:

I also have 2 x 4k max firestick with Kodi (as well as my H96's and X96 with coreElec kodi.).

I find they work well on basic streaming and local files but they seem to require hard power resets and memory clearing regularly so they are retired to the spares box :0

Might think about selling them:)

This has not been my experience at all , all of the 5 have worked without any of the issues you have described , they have been running for at least the last year or so without any problems.

None of them have been used for local files , only for streaming using Kodi.