Apple Music VS Spotify - best sound quality

Yes yes I know, Tidal wins this argument. But this isn't about Tidal.

Has anyone done a shootout between Apple Music and Spotify to see which sounds better? I have always used Apple Music as I already had a lot of music on my iphone stock music app and Apple Music is just an extension of that. I also was of the belief that AAC is a better lossy codec than Ogg Vorbis, despite Spotify streaming at a higher rate (320 vs 256).

This week I got 2 free months of Spotify Premium so I decided to test them out on my systems at home, and also earphones on my phone. 

I won't post what my thoughts are yet, I'd just like to see if anyone else has tested them out?

5 hours ago, mikizee said:

I also was of the belief that AAC is a better lossy codec than Ogg Vorbis, despite Spotify streaming at a higher rate (320 vs 256).

AAC is a more modern codec and might be technically better than Ogg Vorbis but it's really difficult for me to hear a difference.

Just need to make sure any comparison you do is with volume normalisation disabled in both cases - sometimes Spotify defaults to "enabled".

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

I’ve had both and thought Spotify was better resolved a bit more open and less digital and compressed sounding. 

17 hours ago, rand129678 said:

AAC is a more modern codec and might be technically better than Ogg Vorbis but it's really difficult for me to hear a difference.

Just need to make sure any comparison you do is with volume normalisation disabled in both cases - sometimes Spotify defaults to "enabled".

Yep I made sure all settings were set correctly before I tested.

12 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

I’ve had both and thought Spotify was better resolved a bit more open and less digital and compressed sounding. 

Basically the same conclusion I came to. Apple Music sounded a bit clearer in the mid highs, but with less depth and bass. Instruments like acoustic guitar string plucks, horns, and drums sounded more real and less digital with Spotify. 

Spotify also works much better with my home systems - they both support Spotify Connect so they work the same as a chromecast - they stream directly from the Spotify servers and then my laptop or phone works as a remote control. Apple Music has Airplay, but the music streams to my stereo from my laptop or phone, not direct from the server.

I find this terribly annoying as I was all in on Apple Music, it knows my tastes, and they pay artists more than Spotify. 

I found spotify to have a more "hifi" sound over the "clinical" sounding Apple music. I too had a lot of music in iTunes. But since I've had Spotify now for years (and always premium) I'll never go back. 

I use Tidal on my main stereo system only and Spotify everywhere else

• Like 1

Off topic somewaht...since i've not pursued from a SQ aspect....but Spotify (Premium) for me is an absolute hands down winner over Apple music for ease of use/convenience. 

Actually I wish i could delete the AM app off my phone...annoyingly it seems to default connect, without asking, when i get in the car.  

2B

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2Brix said:

Actually I wish i could delete the AM app off my phone...annoyingly it seems to default connect, without asking, when i get in the car.  

2B

2B do you have apple airplay in the car by some chance ? you can in some cars switch between airplay on or off. in my car can do that. perhaps worth exploring as will get rid of this problem for you :) unless need airplay to access spotify :D 

• Thanks 1

I've been switching between Apple Music and Spotify constantly the last few days, I think I'm starting to go batty. I think I'll end up just keeping both as I can't decide between them.

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2020 at 9:31 AM, mikizee said:

Yep I made sure all settings were set correctly before I tested.

Basically the same conclusion I came to. Apple Music sounded a bit clearer in the mid highs, but with less depth and bass. Instruments like acoustic guitar string plucks, horns, and drums sounded more real and less digital with Spotify. 

Spotify also works much better with my home systems - they both support Spotify Connect so they work the same as a chromecast - they stream directly from the Spotify servers and then my laptop or phone works as a remote control. Apple Music has Airplay, but the music streams to my stereo from my laptop or phone, not direct from the server.

I find this terribly annoying as I was all in on Apple Music, it knows my tastes, and they pay artists more than Spotify. 

I haven't tried Airplay in a while and won't be again as moved to Android. 

But always got a noticeable quality drop using Airplay when I had Apple devices. Eg streaming Spotify via Airplay or anything else via Airplay off my phone vs direct connection.  Gave up using Airplay very quickly. 

The differences you describe are exactly how I'd describe Airplay. Not sure if it is Apple Music you are hearing or just Airplay stuffing the quality. 

Happy for now with my MS Surface running Spotify for streaming plugged into a DAC via USB. Then just open Spotify on my phone and use it to control the Surface. Smashes Airplay and anything an AVR can do. 

Edited by DrSK

Hi am a complete Newby when it comes to streaming in fact I’ve been forced to take action by my geek Who insists I need something simpler to access music in my old age. Given that I am already ancient I suppose there is a compliment in there somewhere.

Context

Nearly 2 years ago the geek gave me An Amazon Alexa.I fiddled with it for a few weeks but only ever used the provided speaker and never inserted in my main system.

Are we could go aboard unemployed geek decided we should integrate it into the main system. We used a cheapie 2 to 1 cable we had lying around. Lo and behold it now sounds very nice not up to my main systems but worth pursuing the notion of streaming hardware.

Yesterday I took the one month trial of Amazon prime so I’m in a steep learning curve.prime is incredibly cheap my initial conclusions are positive. 

Geeksuggests that as we are an entirely Apple house hold we should consider a home pod.

[entirely means I tap purchases with my Apple Watch

Has anybody here trialed the HomePod?

I should add that the other home management applications are unlikely to be vary relevant in a bluestone house built in 1880. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, djb said:

Hi am a complete Newby when it comes to streaming in fact I’ve been forced to take action by my geek Who insists I need something simpler to access music in my old age. Given that I am already ancient I suppose there is a compliment in there somewhere.

I suspect your Geek's concept of 'something simple ', David ... is to only listen to streaming through 2x Apple Homepods and do away with your:

1. amps
  2. Maggies
  3. preamp
  4. TT / phono stage
  5. CD player and
  6. tuner!  :lol:

IOW ... the way most people of his age listen to music.  :lol:

Andy

Actually geek moves to the UK next week. Zero work in hospitality  here.

so he’s keen to see me well set up before he leaves?....

there’s a new Dsp device to slot into my system  before I let him depart!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/08/2020 at 1:59 PM, djb said:

Has anybody here trialed the HomePod?

I absolutely loved Apple HomePod, it has a really nice SQ compare to any of the smart/bluetooth speakers including Sonos (Kef LSX and LS50W are different story). Two of these in stereo mode just eliminates many boxes and cable costs and sounds really nice with open wide soundstage too.

Only thing is the bass, if you are used to floorstanders speakers or speakers with subwoofer. You will miss the bass. Homepod has a nice tight bass but given its size, there is only so much you can get out of it.

And if you are an Apple user, this things is super easy to use. I am hoping that Apple comes out with even bigger apple homepod.

• Like 1