Now that hard drive storage is dirt cheap, I'm converting...

I've been putting off going "further digital" for many years now since I quite like the act of spinning silver discs.  However, as I said in the title since hard drive space is now so cheap I decided to give it a try so I bought a little 4 Terabite usb hard drive and started ripping.  I have little to no interest in streaming services like Tidal or Spotify so I was really only interested in ripping the wav files from the cds and storing them on my little yellow hard drive.

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.990cd0c4a58bb482df9990cb18d27aaa.JPG

I must admit I was a bit surprised to find out just how much space I had left once I was done with my 4 nights and 3 days of near-constant ripping.  I have about 450 cds (not a big collection I know) and I found that I could fit them all on to the 4 terabite hard drive with more than 3.5 Terabites worth of space left over.   Ah technology, how you've improved.

So all of these,

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.4a5ff4fef717334cfa18e75a00a37c83.JPG

Plus another 90 or so that were still sitting in the 'to be ripped' pile at the time of picture taking, fit on the little yellow block of plastic in the first pic.  And a whole lot more besides.

Nice!  Efficient!  Lazy! 

I like all of these things.

Actually I wasn't completely honest above, a big part of the reason I started this line of action was my owning of an Oppo 205, which is more than happy reading any usb sticks and hard drives plugged into it.  So now I can just plug my little yellow hard drive in to the Oppo and leave it there.  Quick, easy (and more importantly lazy) access to all my albums without moving from the comfort of my chair.  I should have known this hobby would get worse for me with time. 

Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually.

Here's to getting fatter quicker while listening to music.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Guest rmpfyf

Now, you could can upsample those files for extra digital fun if you were so incline to absolutely use the remaining space on that drive :) 

6 minutes ago, jt301 said:

Don’t forget to buy another HDD drive and backup your days of work.

Yes this is essential

the other thing I would suggest is add Roon or similar.  Transformed the way I listen to things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jt301 said:

Don’t forget to buy another HDD drive and backup your days of work.

I do intend to, actually intended to have done already but forgot.  I think I'll buy a red one this time.

If you have a iPad/tablet or even a phone, you can download the OPPO app that enables full control, it gives you all the controls that the remote does....and you can navigate alphabetically on the files loaded on the HDD....no need for CA and dedicated USB devices...    this is the beauty of the OPPO, what it does is access the files of the HDD and dumps it into the buffer, you see this happening if your HDD has a LED...   if you have it on the network it can also access files anywhere on the network provided you give access,  I can access my work laptop storage From the OPPO app and play any files from there.....   This is what I bought the OPPO105 for,  purely to access music via storage, it’s a shame that OPPO has cease going down this path, till this day no other manufacture has fully filled the vacuum when they pulled out.  

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

If you have a iPad/tablet or even a phone, you can download the OPPO app that enables full control, it gives you all the controls that the remote does....and you can navigate alphabetically on the files loaded on the HDD....no need for CA and dedicated USB devices...    this is the beauty of the OPPO, what it does is access the files of the HDD and dumps it into the buffer, you see this happening if your HDD has a LED...   if you have it on the network it can also access files anywhere on the network provided you give access,  I can access my work laptop storage From the OPPO app and play any files from there.....   This is what I bought the OPPO105 for,  purely to access music via storage, it’s a shame that OPPO has cease going down this path, till this day no other manufacture has fully filled the vacuum when they pulled out.  

This app is / was great.  I say was only because for some reason the BDP media control app is only on android for Oppo 1XX series and not for Oppo 2XX series.

I had the media control app on my iPhone approx a year or so ago, changed to an android phone, went to put it on my new phone and its only available for 103/105.   I am not sure why or why but for 203/205 it seems its an android/iPhone thing , when I googled it the UDP 2XX app is still there but I cant load it on my android phone tablet.

When I had my iPhone I found the app great for all you mentioned above but unless I am missing something or searching the playstore it seems for Oppo 2x series its not available. 

My work around now is having the Oppo hooked up to my home internet and accessing my files via the network function on the player.

Guest DrSK
8 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

This app is / was great.  I say was only because for some reason the BDP media control app is only on android for Oppo 1XX series and not for Oppo 2XX series.

I had the media control app on my iPhone approx a year or so ago, changed to an android phone, went to put it on my new phone and its only available for 103/105.   I am not sure why or why but for 203/205 it seems its an android/iPhone thing , when I googled it the UDP 2XX app is still there but I cant load it on my android phone tablet.

When I had my iPhone I found the app great for all you mentioned above but unless I am missing something or searching the playstore it seems for Oppo 2x series its not available. 

My work around now is having the Oppo hooked up to my home internet and accessing my files via the network function on the player.

The Oppo 205 App for Android doesn't work. Gets completely stuffed displaying the menu list of albums. 

I still have it and was getting help from Oppo support but ran out of patience and reverted to an old iPhone as a whole of house remote. 

Maybe they got rid of it in the Play store.

Edit: Gone, no longer there. 

Edited by DrSK

8 minutes ago, DrSK said:

The Oppo 205 App for Android doesn't work. Gets completely stuffed displaying the menu list of albums. 

I still have it and was getting help from Oppo support but ran out of patience and reverted to an old iPhone as a whole of house remote. 

Maybe they got rid of it in the Play store.

Edit: Gone, no longer there. 

I think they did. Not sure why they wouldnt invest a litte more into the 2XX series app for Android.  Shame really.  You can still get the 1XX series app in the play store though.

15 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

My apologies guys, I don’t have the 205, but that’s great to know that the 205 doesn’t work with android.

Not really, it's the first relevant reason I've been given to get an i-device yet. 

Bugger!

18 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I see it as a reason not to buy Oppo, but I get like that :) 

I respect your moral stand sir, but I am afraid that I am not made of stuff as stern.  For the opportunity to select songs more quickly and sort through files more thoroughly I will swallow my pride and hand some of my hard earned to the big, bad, devotion-demanding beast that Apple has become.  

Well done @Cafad. While I would like to think it was visionary thinking on my part the sad truth is I ripped my CDs many years ago after my kids got into my CD collection. They were unusually quiet, and when I did eventually find them they were rolling CDs across the back cement patio and using them like ice skates and frizbee. Luckily some time before  I had packed my vinyl collection safely away.

Post ripping, I found that I was listening to more music, which is for me what it is all about, and listening to more of my catalogue.

My kids are now big and have moved on from destroying my CD collection to destroying my sanity. Having said that, they do enjoy music and utilise my ripped music collection. The other day I heard my son playing and enjoying Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones so things have come full circle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sonichifi said:

@Cafad What program do you use to bring your CD's to flac?

As of yet, none.  I've just ripped them as wav files.  I haven't dived in to the whole file type issue yet, been quite successfully ignoring it actually since it hasn't applied to me until now. 

Damn, one more thing I now need to pay some attention to.  The list just keeps getting longer.

Is there any advantage to flac files over wav files?  Since space isn't an issue and I'm happy with the sound from my cds I was just going to keep things simple and stick with wav files.  Unless there is a reason I shouldn't.

12 minutes ago, Cafad said:

As of yet, none.  I've just ripped them as wav files.  I haven't dived in to the whole file type issue yet, been quite successfully ignoring it actually since it hasn't applied to me until now. 

Damn, one more thing I now need to pay some attention to.  The list just keeps getting longer.

Is there any advantage to flac files over wav files?  Since space isn't an issue and I'm happy with the sound from my cds I was just going to keep things simple and stick with wav files.  Unless there is a reason I shouldn't.

some say that flac files as they require more cpu power to extract are inferior to wav files so if space isnt a problem wav has less potential downside.

If you use Exact Audio Copy which seems to be the most popular the default option is Flac. It seems to be the most popular file type so I assume that may make it the best but that is not always the case. Google has a lot on it and it seems to be a readable format on most devices except I think for apple. Just found tis on the net

"WAV and other uncompressed formats are excellent for working on, so are used in editing tools, but FLAC uses LOSSLESS compression, meaning, by definition, there is no difference in the sound when it is played back, and is simply stored in a more efficient manner. This means you can store more music on a hard drive."

Edited by JD1
  • Like 1