Good news on the budget TV front.

Hi all - like many of our stereo net community with heaps of  "spare time" at the moment I was browsing some of the major on line TV brand sites today and noticed that Hisense has announced their Australian 2020 range of televisions.   To my great surprise,  the top tier Q8 models are specd. with full array local dimming, quantum dot filter, Dolby Vision, a new operating system (VIDAA 4) and is available in a range of sizes up to 85".    The 75" version is listed at a very respectable $3699 which, on the face of it, is very competitive with near rivals offering similar technology.

Obviously, these sets will need to be reviewed and tested to establish key performance perametres such as peak brightness, native contrast, number of dimming zones and other operating metrics.   However, my guess is that the 2020 Q8 is a near clone of the outstanding 2019 Hisense 8HF available in the US and Europe (it certainly looks similar in appearance) and, if this is the case, then Australian consumers will be able for the first time, to purchase high end LCD/LED TVs at a budget price.  In 2018, Hisense marketed a series 9 LCD panel with FALD but it was priced way to high and subsequently is still being discounted as an "ex display model". 

To date, the budget market in Australia (Hisense, TCL, Sonic et al) has offered mostly basic, edge lit LCD panels with poor overall contrast, brightness and color volume. On the negative side, I would expect the COVID crisis will delay arrival of these sets but cant wait to have a look when they hit the showroom floor.  It will be also interesting to see whether TCL will come to the party with their US "6 series", another budget set with high end specifications.        

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 24/04/2020 at 8:36 PM, pc9 said:

Hi all - like many of our stereo net community with heaps of  "spare time" at the moment I was browsing some of the major on line TV brand sites today and noticed that Hisense has announced their Australian 2020 range of televisions.   To my great surprise,  the top tier Q8 models are specd. with full array local dimming, quantum dot filter, Dolby Vision, a new operating system (VIDAA 4) and is available in a range of sizes up to 85".    The 75" version is listed at a very respectable $3699 which, on the face of it, is very competitive with near rivals offering similar technology.

I followed your inclination pc9 and chanced on a 85"  85q8 at an early discounted price paying around $4200 delivered with cope   sensitive freight [ they insure:$ ] Compared to my pana 780 with tweaks  approximate rec709 calibration settings I couldnt be happier .. The price on all the other sites has shot up to 5k in a matter of weeks

The contrast and black levels from the VA panel is if anything better than the edge lit pana [as you would expect from its 100's of FALD zones ] When reading the comments on avs forum on the US h9g they are enthusiastic as well :) As for deinterlacing and scaling it does a great job as long as you feed it something decent like 540p/ 720p/1080i  or a newer compression codec like HEVC . it has a very good AI algorithm . It doesnt have hdmi2.1 inputs though so gamers miss out on things like VRR ;but it does have very good 200hz refresh rate for motion control . 

The quantum dots make a real difference with the colour gamut and the midrange and tweeters [tuned by jbl] do a great job compared to the pana [the tv width helps with the separation possibly] ; its a virtual replacement for a sound bar if your not using the ARC . As with all app applications its a personal thing but the dual core processor with vidaa4 is certainly snappy  .

Looking at the equivalent quantum dot fald tvs from samsung [without dolby vision] it was easy to save 1000's for very similar tech [  and was aiming for something that was exceptional for dci-p3 with uhd sources [ I can live with a slightly smaller screen size than a projector for uhd as it was specified the higher the nits the better ] My jvc 7000e can handle rec709 and 3d . 

Needless to say the hisenses 1000+ nits is perfect for UHD ; the pana 780 was considerably less bright and didnt have the pop or the colour volume of the 85 . Its worth noting that there is a bigger tv than mine the 100s8 ; but it doesnt have quantum dots or dv and has dts sound instead ; the $14k doesnt compute also 

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good call CWT.   In relation to the equivalent US model, I agree its probably the H9G which as you point out, has received consistently favourable reviews.

Hisense are to be commended for bringing to our shores a "high spec" panel at a reasonable price.  For example, the 65" version of the hQ8 can be obtained at around the same price as the Samsung's Q7 which has an edge lit panel with no local dimming and a much narrower colour gamut to display HDR. 

Providing the quality control holds up,  I reckon you've got yourself a very good panel.  Unfortunately, I suspect that most of the non videophile punters looking for a budget TV,  may avoid the Hisense Q series on the basis that they can pick up a cheap Hisense or TCL 65" much closer to $1K. 

Happy viewing 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pc9 said:

I suspect that most of the non videophile punters looking for a budget TV,  may avoid the Hisense Q series on the basis that they can pick up a cheap Hisense or TCL 65" much closer to $1K. 

Agreed.

Still not sure regarding the brands mentioned above.

Hisense Q has some good specs but still doesn't perform up there with the big guys apparently.

As mentioned the cheaper edge lit screens will keep the bargain hunters happy.

9 hours ago, Andre28 said:

Have just seen an ad on facebook about the new TCL range,  including a QLED-microled.  I wonder how they stack up. 

microled? or mini-LED ? theyre different things, I think TCL do mini LED ? which is still same as LCD just with mini LEDS for lighting. 

Microled is different in that its not back lit but like OLED in being emissive.... and brighter than OLED but being emissive it can work down to pixel level that LCDs that are back lit or side lit can't....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/microled-vs-mini-led/

Still coming for Hisense as well ; their version just appeared at IFA ; heres a few clues from Bangladesh :)

https://medium.com/@mhmasum0167/hisense-shows-the-first-uled-xd-television-and-two-laser-tvs-59267b60d562

As I 1/2 guessed from other sources the new X Uled will be smaller than the current qled 85/100" models 

Edited by cwt