Vintage HiFi

Wow.

Stereo AM :) Some one here will have to love that

I remember driving an old Holden that had an AM stereo!!!...I think 2CH was the station I was listening to.

Remember it well cause Aus was the only place in the world to offer such a service as I found out later......correct me if I'm wrong though!! :(

• Like 1

Yep, they aren't bad at all. Stonking value for around $20-40 second-hand on eBay. I have a pair as back-up speakers. The cabinets are pretty resonant and they really tighten up with my topper-clones perched on top of them.

The crossover mods are pretty straight-forward and definitely improve the midrange performance:

http://minirig.org.au/2010/05/03/tweaking-the-dick-smith-electronics-dse-a2667-bookshelf-speaker/

http://minirig.org.au/2013/05/15/revisiting-the-dse-a2667-with-better-measurements/

Yeah I've checked this out before.

As you say,shabby cabinets, prosaic drivers etc not a good recipe......but it works surprisingly well!!!

Might have to do a serious 'Pimp"........mmmmm!! :D 

ATB

Tase. 

I remember driving an old Holden that had an AM stereo!!!...I think 2CH was the station I was listening to.

Remember it well cause Aus was the only place in the world to offer such a service as I found out later......correct me if I'm wrong though!! :(

I think you are right I believe the Japanese version didn't offer stereo AM.

I believe the first systems needed 2 receivers  :o ...one picked up broadcast for the left channel and the other for the right on a different frequency!!!!......this was back in the 30/40/50.s

The US and Canada had systems in place but I don't think they were as popular as Aus though.

Aus was kind of late on the FM bandwagon so to speak and AM much preferred due to our vast area.

ATB

Tase. 

Edited by Tasebass

Vintage system update - scored another GX-5 Rack and had the metal rails etc stripped and powder coated.

I really must get rid of that carpet ... perhaps a nice rug instead?

post-105944-140099344365.jpg

post-105944-140099346462.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Vintage system update - scored another GX-5 Rack and had the metal rails etc stripped and powder coated.

Mr Lebowski, would you please outline your Sansui gear - aside from amp and tuner?

A new rug would be nice... just as long as it hasn't been pissed on :thumb:

• Like 1

May I ask what speakers are in the pics? Love the finish on them.

• Like 1

Mr Lebowski, would you please outline your Sansui gear - aside from amp and tuner?

A new rug would be nice... just as long as it hasn't been pissed on :thumb:

OK, there is a TU-717, AU-717, AU-317 MkII, MA-7 Monitor, MA-7 Monitor Speaker, AX-7 Mixer, AT-15L Timer, Sansui Accesories Case x 2 (1 large, 1 small). I also have a G-6000 Receiver in daily use in the family room. Some I bought in from the U.S. but most I found locally with the AU-717 and MA-7 from deceased estate.

Really need a rug to tie the room together.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I was looking for a v cheap retro system for a small music room (as in guitars/keyboards etc). I saw thus on gumtree today and was thinking of having a go. Can anyone shed any light on any of these models? I have heard good things about some of the Technics gear of this vintage?

Cheers

STEREO AM/FM TUNER MODEL ST-8011 
STEREO GRAPHIC EQUALIZER MODEL SH-8015

STEREO INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER MODEL SU-8011:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wembley/audio/vintage-technics-amplifier-tuner-graphic-equalizer-combo-/1047457381

Hi Guys,

I was looking for a v cheap retro system for a small music room (as in guitars/keyboards etc). I saw thus on gumtree today and was thinking of having a go. Can anyone shed any light on any of these models? I have heard good things about some of the Technics gear of this vintage?

Cheers

STEREO AM/FM TUNER MODEL ST-8011 

STEREO GRAPHIC EQUALIZER MODEL SH-8015

STEREO INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER MODEL SU-8011:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wembley/audio/vintage-technics-amplifier-tuner-graphic-equalizer-combo-/1047457381

Maybe not a powerhouse system but Technics gear was pretty good just to give you an idea I sold a technics graphic eq last year on Ebay and I got just over a 100 dollars, 200 bucks for 3 components is not bad.