Quality budget amps

42 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Just curious, did he say why? I ask as the reviews are pretty good but reviews don't speak of long term use.

They stated there is better available for the same money, sound wise and build quality.

they Didn’t say they were rubbish, just look elsewhere first in that price range

but I would say if you get a chance to try/listen or better demo an onkyo at home and you like what you hear, dont be put off by my comments alone.  

I would listen to multiple brands

Edited by Demondes

13 hours ago, alpha777 said:

I'm 66yrs and my ears arn't what they use to be

I noticed mine are bigger than what they used to be, or the rest of my head has shrunk :o

Anyway, good luck with the amp hunt :thumb:

Yes watch the classifieds here.

What speakers are you using-  or did I miss that? The speakers will be the main actor here.

Im talking from the experience of someone who has auditioned a few amps and speakers on a budget -  and has tinitis mainly from many years of performing music.

The Marantz PM 5005  is about as good as you'll get in the price range and from my experience is pretty friendly with a range of speakers. Its what I would call firmly middle of the road - but in a good way - nothing harsh about it. I recommended one to a friend just recently who was on a strict budget - paired it with a set of Focal bookshelf speakers and it sounds warm and more detailed than one would expect from a cheaper amp.

Also I think I'd back present day Marantz build/longevity quality over Onkyo even at the lower end of the range.

If Cafad likes the Myryad - its definitely  worth taking note- but also note his comment about warmth. With my ears the way they are I prefer my vintage setup for recreational listening just for the natural warmth..but thats me.

That's interesting, and a great help. I was originally leaning toward the Marantz pm5005 util I read the reviews for the Onkyo a 9130. I was actually interested in the Onkyo a 9110 but the two are a very similar price. I don't really need a DAC it is purely for vinyl and cd. My speakers are KEF Q 300"s.

Edited by alpha777

If you don't need digital and PM5005 sounds like PM6006 then I would buy it at ~$500 mark. 

If you don't want cooler sound (In comparison to Marantz) then I would pass CA AXA options.

You could keep a look out for PM6005, PM5005 or PM6006 sales in classifieds. There was someone selling PM6005 in Aug last year giving praise to it powering KEF Q 300.

Edited by gwurb

opinions passed on to me stated, never but a NAD with BEE in its signature, i had an original 3020A, great amp, but had to have it recapped, moved it on, now have a small valve amp. Iam 65, have had tinitus in both ears at different pitches since the early 90's, now have hearing aids, but still love my music reguardless, my audiologist has done a great job setting up my basic hearing aids

have read a few reviews on the kef 300's, i think the Marantz PM 5005 would sound great with them, i would make the effort and take the speakers in to a store that sells the Marantz, they may have something else that is more pleasing to your ear, there seems to be more amps suggested, the list could go on, time for a listening session with your speakers!

p.s. this will give you more long term satisfaction with your purchase

Edited by wen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alpha777 said:

I'm thinking now also about the CA AXA35.

I listened to CXA60 at a HiFi store. It was setup for auditions. It was clear, music came out of speakers. As I sat back I thought, "that's alright".

Next, I listened to PM6006. As I sat back lush, velvet, beautiful sound filled the store. Voices had depth and instruments had timbre. It was warm, it was clear with details of Nick Cave's voice coming through, it was really enjoyable to my ears. It wasn't a perfect amp but to me I heard music, not sound. Nick Cave's recording sounded as if he was singing right there. Now, CA made a good amp but it was cold and all the other good things about it just didn't bring the music to life in the same way. Marantz let the music play!

The reviews of CA amps and Marantz amps use very different adjectives, and they are spot on. The way they reproduce the recordings is very different. There is a very different sound to them.

If you are thinking of CA options then I would encourage you to listen to them with your speakers and your ears. Maybe you would love it? Maybe you would love something else? In fact, the same applies to anything else; have a listen.

• Like 1

+1 for the Marantz. Very even sound and good value for the price. Obviously a few choices around, especially if you go 2nd hand on the Classifieds here, but at a budget level the Marantz integrateds are a solid bet.

Good luck with the search :)

Hi everyone, I have heard that Onkyo  are out of stock everywhere and shipments are not expected until at least May maybe longer. I have heard good reviews for Iota vx but not available in Australia and $800 very neutral sound. It's looking  more and more between marantz, nad and denon!

On 08/03/2020 at 1:46 PM, blakey72 said:

Forget the Myryad then. 

??

My Z142 works well with the KEF LS-50s (very well in fact, I've had 2 people try to buy it off me solely due to it's synergy with the little KEFs). 

You weren't thinking of the Exposure 2010S by any chance?  That was a terrible match with the LS-50s.

Edited by Cafad

8 minutes ago, Cafad said:

??

My Z142 works well with the KEF LS-50s (very well in fact, I've had 2 people try to buy it off me solely due to it's synergy with the little KEFs). 

You weren't thinking of the Exposure 2010S by any chance?  That was a terrible match with the LS-50s.

I might be wrong. Was just thinking the Kef 300's I heard were on the brightish side of neutral. And from memory that model Myryad was quite 'lively'. Thought it may be too much. I'm not arguing though, you ARE the amp king :D

@Cafad I just read your review of the 240 and you thought it was 'soft' sounding. Maybe the speakers I was using came across as brighter to my ears. 

And the Exposure/LS50 match (or mismatch) is a little surprising too. I would have thought those would match quite well. Shows you that an audition is very important.

Edited by blakey72
Add ramblings

The KEF LS-50s are known to be "less hot" in the top end than many so I guess the other KEFs are a bit brighter?  Can't really say as I've only ever heard the LS-50s. 

The Z240 was definitely smoother and softer in character than the Z142 which could get a little "bitey" at times (in all the right ways in my opinion), I didn't like that softer approach personally but that just means that it will pair differently with speakers.  And obviously appeal to different listeners.

I seem to recall that we also worked out that Blakes ears are more sensitive to brightness than mine (which lead to some recommendations that I would not have made otherwise, but we got there in the end).  I tend to like a little ear-tickling action in the treble but that isn't what he's chasing.  

50 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I seem to recall that we also worked out that Blakes ears are more sensitive to brightness than mine (which lead to some recommendations that I would not have made otherwise, but we got there in the end).  I tend to like a little ear-tickling action in the treble but that isn't what he's chasing.  

Yeah that's true. I used to love some ear-tickling but age is getting hold I think.....I'd be trusting Jeff over me as far as amps go. I've learnt most of what I know off him so I'm not going over the teachers head. Damn, and I thought we were gunna have our first barney mate ? Put 'em up!!

17 hours ago, alpha777 said:

I have heard that Onkyo  are out of stock everywhere and shipments are not expected until at least May maybe longer.

Hi All, just some info. I spoke to my Hi-Fi shop last week and due to the Coronavirus situation all shipments of Onkyo, Rotel, Marantz and most multi channel systems have been delayed and current inventories are running low. It looks like all China made Hi-Fi products are not arriving any time soon... That means that if the Coronavirus repercussions continue even May would not be in the horizon and as time goes by, other countries' supplies may be also affected. Lucky we have a healthy second hand market around here...

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2020 at 4:00 PM, allthumbs said:

The Music Cast app thing puts me off though a little, still sounds like to much messing around.

MusicCast worked a lot better for me than Blusound. I have the wxc preamp and it sports Spotify connect over wifi so no need for the app or BT sound quality drop.

Hey everyone! first post on this forum. 

I hope this thread is still active! Just chiming in with my 2c: for context I own the older Marantz PM5004 & CD5004 no frills components mated to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. I believe the current budget model would be the PM5005. These amps are 'budget' only in pricing & features but share the same DNA, are well built & sound lush - classic Marantz 'house' sound. However, I wouldn't recommend 'warm' sounding speakers with them as the combination is overly warm and doesn't rock out when needed. Slightly 'bright' speakers like Monitor Audio/Polk/Kef could be good speakers to balance the sound. 

PM5005 would be a good amp to go with if you don't need digital features like in-built DAC & digital inputs/outputs. I certainly didn't need them at the time and never looked back. Hope this helps.

Cheers & stay safe.

Edited by Wow&Flutter
  • Like 2