Quality budget amps

1 minute ago, alpha777 said:

The 6006 is twice the price of the 5005. It would have to be a huge special?

PM5005 at full price (new) is ~$700. PM6006 at full price (new) is ~$1100. Maybe it would be possible to get the PM6006 for ~$900?

Of course if you are looking to get the PM5005 on sale around ~$500 then I have not recommendations for other amps in that price range. I haven't heard the PM5005 but if it sounds similar to PM6006 but is only missing digital inputs then I would also recommend PM5005.

Also consider items on the classifieds as there are some good bargains. 

At that price i dont believe you would get a whole new level of sound, but there would definitly be an improvement, best bet would be to audition and let your ears be the judge. The age of the NAD is against it. Have not heard the PM5005 amp but bought the PM5005 CD player for a friend, in my system most impressed with the quality of sound, compared against a $3200 CD player i have

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cafad said:

The Myryad Z240 units on ebay currently are a bargain.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Myryad-Z-series-Z240-Amplifier-Phono-In-RRP-1299-Black-Great-Sound-Oct-Sale-390/163980335145?hash=item262dfd5829:g:BTUAAOSwgQ9Vp11l&frcectupt=true

Less of a warm sound than the Marantz gear but just as good, and cheaper.

A bit cheaper here:

https://www.rio.com.au/product/z240-stereo-amplifier-myryad/

I still think there is a lot to be had in the vintage arena, provided you don't mind the odd niggle like scratchy switches. Depending on the sound you are after, be it "warm" or "neutral", that sort of money would get you a refurb'd Sansui receiver, not over the top, eg, a 661 or a 5050 or vintage Luxman SQ-505X  a good vinyl amp or more neutral the yamaha CA-800 though the CA-1000 is worth the stretch. Expect significant change on all these (except the CA-1000). Plenty of others in the Pioneer, Marantz,,,stables

Not sure what your budget is perhaps around $300, but the usual common other  used options that come up regularly are Audiolab 8000A, Mission Cyrus, NAD 3020, Arcam, Pioneer 400, Muscial Fidelity, Rotel etc

My budget is around $500 and from my research I don't think I can do any better than the Onkyo A-9130 for $497. Vintage stuff may be good but there is no way of knowing. My NAD 3225pe I bought on Ebay but it's a gamble buying from a photo.

I've been contemplating moving to a Bluetooth based amp myself and for around the same dollars, and the Yamaha wxa-50 comes to mind but the OP may require the phono input which I think the Onkyo has.

http://www.clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2791&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwruTzdeH6AIVTB0rCh1s_QCxEAQYBSABEgLdzfD_BwE

The Music Cast app thing puts me off though a little, still sounds like to much messing around.

19 hours ago, alpha777 said:

Thanks Guys, I have decided that I like the specs of the Onkyo A-9130. All I have to do now is find one for the right price. Cheers.

What? Specs aren't worth the paper they are written on especially from Onkyo. What speakers do you have for a start? The Myryad is a much better unit for the price too.

• Like 2

@alpha777, i agree with @blakey72, careful about what you can read into the specs, John Atkinson from Stereophile magazine reviewed an amp, his comment was that the amp had no right to sound so good when you look at the specs, bottom line, trust your ears, make the effort to review, could save you $$$ and heartache with your purchase

• Like 1

I am not really in a position to audition amps so I guess I have to rely on specs and reviews  and form all the reviews and info I can get the Onkyo seems a winner. But that's why I'm talking to you guys, I value your help. I'm 66yrs and my ears arn't what they use to be also mild tinitis so I'm looking for a nice clean sound. I also have a difficult lounge room in that it's L shaped. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alpha777 said:

I read a review on the Myriad Z240 and they said although it sounded nice there was nothing special about it. For $1000 + I would expect it to be more than just ordinary.

Remember though, this reviewer may be comparing the Myryad to a more expensive amp and you aren't paying $1k for it, you're paying $300 odd. I bet if the reviewer was comparing it to a $300-$400 amp he wouldn't say it's just ordinary. I've owed a Z240 and IMO it would be a step up from the Onkyo. It also has a very clean, clear sound. I trust what @Cafad's opinions hold as he's heard more amps than anyone on here including Onkyo's from memory. 

• Like 2

The guys budget is $500- He doesn't have the time to audition. Buying vintage does have its risks so would prefer to buy new. Hi-fi is a slippery slope, there's a nice Luxman on ebay for about $7000-... I think he would prefer first hand suggestion in the $500- market...

2c.

On 06/03/2020 at 11:32 PM, alpha777 said:

Thanks Guys, I have decided that I like the specs of the Onkyo A-9130. All I have to do now is find one for the right price. Cheers.

I recommended a Marantz PM5005 a few weeks back to my dad who was looking to replace an old arcam alpha 5 (failing due to age).  He bought and loves it.   MM phonostage, headphone out remote.

his budget was as close to $500-600

just be wary of matching the amp correctly with speakers.

When reviewing I also looked at Denon, Yamaha, onkyo etc.

i was warned off the onkyo a-9130 and the next one up the ladder 9150?   by a dealer who sold them.

2nd hand on StereoNET is another good option but you may need to wait to get the right amp.

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Demondes said:

i was warned off the onkyo a-9130 and the next one up the ladder 9150?   by a dealer who sold them.

Just curious, did he say why? I ask as the reviews are pretty good but reviews don't speak of long term use.