NAD C658 BluOS Streaming DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

This unit has been mentioned in a number of threads so a couple of us thought it was time for a dedicated thread for users to share experiences and tips and also general discussion providing it stays on topic.

NAD C658 BluOS Streaming DAC with Dirac Live integration

Manufacturers Product Page: https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-658-bluos-streaming-dac/

Dirac Live Website: https://live.dirac.com/

Front

230481549_NadFront.thumb.png.e6c00fb27635187a454a12c4c651ec9d.png

Rear

2071937421_NadRear.thumb.png.1d6b1526b217e973276bee02949fc0e6.png

Features & Details

• BluOS Network Streaming with MQA Decoding
  • ESS Sabre DAC
  • Dirac Live Room Correction
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Dual Band Wi-Fi AC/N
  • 2 Way Qualcomm aptX HD Bluetooth
  • 2x MDC Slots for Future Expansion
  • MM Phono Input
  • 2x Line Inputs, 2x Optical inputs, 2x Coax Inputs
  • Balanced Preamp Output
  • Preamp Output
  • Stereo Subwoofer Output
  • USB Socket for adding optional Wireless Output Module
  • IR In with Learning Function
  • Trigger In/Out

Dirac Live Reviews & Guides

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/dirac-live-2-digital-room-correction-software-walkthrough-r884/

Nad C658 Product Reviews

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/nad-c-658-bluos-streaming-dac-review/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-c-658-network-audio-playerpreamplifier-review

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/nad-c-658

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

Nad C658 Video Reviews

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a brief demo with one of these today at Heynow Hifi. It sounded great on some Kef speakers and the demo just made me want to dump down more cash on room treatment.

It’s looks to be a good unit, with great functionality. I love the dual subs out, phono stage and the fact that it plays ball as a RAAT streamer.

It would be interesting to see how it sounds with Dirac enabled as a part of a HT bypass setup.

• Like 1

@Hi-Fi Whipped as asked for a contribution. I’ve written about my impressions elsewhere, so I’ll make a list of tips that have worked for me.

- Get a UMIK - the difference this made was HUGE. At my time of purchase it was $130AUD including express post (3 days) from Hong Kong (Mini DSP website).

- Get a microphone boom (a proper one). It doesn’t have to be a studio quality build to last forever, but it has to articulate to get the mic where your head is, and properly spaced for the other measurements.

- Try and get your reflection points treated in some way - your need for bass traps is pretty much eliminated, but it can’t stop reflections.

- To do LP properly - you need a proper ADC phono stage (I’m using the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter).

- Set your system up as best you can. There’s no point making Dirac’s job harder.

- Get your soundstage as perfect as you can (speaker positioning, seating position, toe in etc.).

- run Dirac.

- After you save the flat curve, do a second export with the NAD curve.

- Revisit the soundstage step. It is now less coloured room wise.

- Run Dirac again (refer previous step of needs be).

I’ll add anything else I can think of, and I’m sure many other users (of anything Dirac) will have plenty as well.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 6

Dean, worth adding to links on first post. And where is your review? ? 

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

@Hi-Fi Whipped

- Get a UMIK - the difference this made was HUGE. At my time of purchase it was $130AUD including express post (3 days) from Hong Kong (Mini DSP website).

- Get a microphone boom (a proper one). It doesn’t have to be a studio quality build to last forever, but it has to articulate to get the mic where your head is, and properly spaced for the other measurements.

I didn't even bother with the puck ( in my T758V3.).

I use and recommend this microphone stand 

https://www.swamp.net.au/small-microphone-stand

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 2

Just as an aside, the styling on this unit isn't particularly great. Looks a bit underwhelming to be honest. With the wifi antenna on the back it looks pretty cheap.

The web interface (though not SSL) is actually fairly useful and much better to content with than the remote control and the front panel interface. You can do all of your upgrades / updates to firmware in there as well as switch between Dirac settings and change crossover settings etc.

It's still unclear if you have a sub enabled whether the signal gets sent full range through the main outlets. Can anyone test this?

33 minutes ago, recur said:

It's still unclear if you have a sub enabled whether the signal gets sent full range through the main outlets. Can anyone test this?

That depends on the Dirac setting. It can be set to full.  However, Dirac (and Anthem) recommend not to use full because they believe the bass is better integrated with a cross over.  I was skeptical and tried both ways with Dirac (and Anthem), but there is some merit in their recommendation.   Best to try it for yourself and see what you prefer.

4 hours ago, recur said:

Just as an aside, the styling on this unit isn't particularly great. Looks a bit underwhelming to be honest. With the wifi antenna on the back it looks pretty cheap.

Yeh I certainly didn't buy for the looks but it seems you cant have everything!

That said its a clean aesthetic that will sit well wth the rest of my gear, if theres a V2 of this i'm tipping it will have the large full colour screen of the M10 which is already making its way through the Nad Classic AVR range.

Coming from the Bluesound Node 2 I'm just looking forward to having any type of screen TBH.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Yeh I certainly didn't buy for the looks but it seems you cant have everything!

That said its a clean aesthetic that will sit well wth the rest of my gear, if theres a V2 of this i'm tipping it will have the large full colour screen of the M10 which is already making its way through the Nad Classic AVR range.

Coming from the Bluesound Node 2 I'm just looking forward to having any type of screen TBH.

I don’t mind the plain looks - it’s so dull I don’t even notice it hiding on the rack, and Luxman amps are blingy enough.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Guys A Question I have , Looks like I am still running basic version of Dirac. I have not received any confirmation e-mail regarding my purchase or any Licence key etc but the payment has gone through. Also No licence key is displayed when I log on. 

Check your email spam folder?

7 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Snoop ,

I did already. Anyway have sent order info to Dirac . 

Strange, mine came almost immediately.  Maybe they have a server problem somewhere?  

6 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Dirac made me turn up the Volume on both Subs to nearly 75 % full  in order to match them with the floorstanders. Has anyone with this Unit noticed the same ?.

Regarding your earlier question, I assume you are referring to the volume setting in Dirac at the beginning?  Check volume setting on sub - is that too low?  Also, have you checked that the volume of the subs are about the same and the phase of both subs are the same?  Dirac (and Anthem if you remember) assume that if there are more than 1 sub, they are "ïntegrated" and the software will be treating the multiple subs as 1.  "Integrated" for most people will mean volume level, same phase. (But I did mine differently, if interested, check my profile for MSO!).

Slightly different, does it matter if setting is 75%?  Do you hear the bass as too loud in the final end result?

36 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Strange, mine came almost immediately.  Maybe they have a server problem somewhere?  

Regarding your earlier question, I assume you are referring to the volume setting in Dirac at the beginning?  Check volume setting on sub - is that too low?  Also, have you checked that the volume of the subs are about the same and the phase of both subs are the same?  Dirac (and Anthem if you remember) assume that if there are more than 1 sub, they are "ïntegrated" and the software will be treating the multiple subs as 1.  "Integrated" for most people will mean volume level, same phase. (But I did mine differently, if interested, check my profile for MSO!).

Slightly different, does it matter if setting is 75%?  Do you hear the bass as too loud in the final end result?

Na bass is good after applying the filter. I just found it a bit strange as usually with Audyssey X32 and Anthem ARC you normally lower the Subwoofer Volume....infact I have never had the Volume past 12 O'clock. Have to do a lot of learning as first time with Dirac. I have it left turned on Today running radio Paradise just to burn in. Will leave it on for next few days.

• Like 1

2 issues that I have with mine

1. the blue led does not display when turned on (standby switch) the orange and red lights up

2. I have a hell of a time trying to get it to connect with Dirac from my PC - both are hooked up via ethernet, when I start Dirac it recognizes that I have the 658 but won't connect, just keeps on timing out, can take me a dozen or so times before it does connect. 

It sometimes on idle shuts down to standby mode and the remote won't restart it, I have to manually push the standby button to fire it up, it does also loose ethernet connection if been on stanby for a while as well. 

I might do a factory reset in the weekend when I get time just in case it got screwed up with installing the latest firmware.

Get rid of those bugs and it is a pretty decent unit and does a great job, I love the bluos system and the SQ seems to be good.

11 minutes ago, GaryNZ said:

2 issues that I have with mine

1. the blue led does not display when turned on (standby switch) the orange and red lights up - Check display settings

2. I have a hell of a time trying to get it to connect with Dirac from my PC - both are hooked up via ethernet, when I start Dirac it recognizes that I have the 658 but won't connect, just keeps on timing out, can take me a dozen or so times before it does connect. - Never been remotely an issue for me - firewall settings? Latest Dirac?

It sometimes on idle shuts down to standby mode and the remote won't restart it, I have to manually push the standby button to fire it up, it does also loose ethernet connection if been on stanby for a while as well. The remote is average and likes to be pointed directly and the on button held a bit.

I might do a factory reset in the weekend when I get time just in case it got screwed up with installing the latest firmware.

Get rid of those bugs and it is a pretty decent unit and does a great job, I love the bluos system and the SQ seems to be good.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 2

Well I did receive the full Dirac License key and did another 17 point calibration after re adjusting Speakers and reducing the toe in a bit. Soundstage has improved a lot and I do think that this unit needs about 100 hours of break in time. I have no issues with the Unit and Bluesound App is heaps better than the Naim App I was using with 172XS.  I have my music stored on NAS but still trying to work out how to get Bluesound to find it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

I have my music stored on NAS but still trying to work out how to get Bluesound to find it.

You need to enable SMB2 or SMB3 (not SMB1 which can be a security risk) on your NAS, then set up library on BluOS

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/203904628-How-do-I-connect-music-on-my-NAS-PC-or-iTunes-Shared-Music-to-Bluesound-

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You need to enable SMB2 or SMB3 (not SMB1 which can be a security risk) on your NAS, then set up library on BluOS

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/203904628-How-do-I-connect-music-on-my-NAS-PC-or-iTunes-Shared-Music-to-Bluesound-

Thanks Heaps Snoop ,

Just added the  Network Share.

Cheers ,

• Like 1

Well I received my C658 yesterday and connected last night. Have settled into some reasonably critical listening today and overall I'm really happy with the purchase.

I was hoping for a souped up Node 2 and that's exactly what I have got. I love BluOS and so glad that I stuck with it, streaming via Tidal has been rock solid, no glitches, no issues. It's something you take for granted when it streams well, and you forget what its like to have choppy streaming and an ordinary GUI, BluOS just makes it feel easy and enjoyable!

Build quality is nice, this thing is heavy for what it is and even though it has a plastic facade, it doesn't look out of place above my CXR200 with has a brushed aluminium face.

Even though I'm running my 2ch through a Cambridge CXR200 AVR via "untouched" analog, for years I haven't been using any eq or bass/treble tweaking, trying to keep the signal as clean as possible.

So with that in mind I figured for me to ensure I was happy with the purchase, I am running the C658 without Dirac for the next week or so to ensure that it can compare with and improve on what I had previously (Node 2 & Klein DAC), before even looking at Dirac. I just want to make sure the C658 is not a one trick pony, with Dirac clouding my judgement or smoothing over any shortcomings the C658 may have.

I've only listened for around about 1hr all up but its been on for most of the day and it appears to be getting better as time goes on, or my ears are just getting used to the sound. I've even found a few tracks that I have played previously that seem to be just exploding as a wall of sound that didn't last time I listened to them. These songs are Studio MQA files straight from Tidal which I have played in my previous system but I never had a MQA decoder to fully unwrap them.

The sound is detailed and full which is just the way I like it, so much so I've even turned my subs off until I set up Dirac and it just feels the sound is fuller, which I just didn't expect but love.

If Dirac makes it sound even better and integrates my subs nicely with the fronts I am sure to be one happy chappy!

IMG_0148.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Well I received my C658 yesterday and connected last night. Have settled into some reasonably critical listening today and overall I'm really happy with the purchase.

I was hoping for a souped up Node 2 and that's exactly what I have got. I love BluOS and so glad that I stuck with it, streaming via Tidal has been rock solid, no glitches, no issues. It's something you take for granted when it streams well, and you forget what its like to have choppy streaming and an ordinary GUI, BluOS just makes it feel easy and enjoyable!

Build quality is nice, this thing is heavy for what it is and even though it has a plastic facade, it doesn't look out of place above my CXR200 with has a brushed aluminium face.

Even though I'm running my 2ch through a Cambridge CXR200 AVR via "untouched" analog, for years I haven't been using any eq or bass/treble tweaking, trying to keep the signal as clean as possible.

So with that in mind I figured for me to ensure I was happy with the purchase, I am running the C658 without Dirac for the next week or so to ensure that it can compare with and improve on what I had previously (Node 2 & Klein DAC), before even looking at Dirac. I just want to make sure the C658 is not a one trick pony, with Dirac clouding my judgement or smoothing over any shortcomings the C658 may have.

I've only listened for around about 1hr all up but its been on for most of the day and it appears to be getting better as time goes on, or my ears are just getting used to the sound. I've even found a few tracks that I have played previously that seem to be just exploding as a wall of sound that didn't last time I listened to them. These songs are Studio MQA files straight from Tidal which I have played in my previous system but I never had a MQA decoder to fully unwrap them.

The sound is detailed and full which is just the way I like it, so much so I've even turned my subs off until I set up Dirac and it just feels the sound is fuller, which I just didn't expect but love.

If Dirac makes it sound even better and integrates my subs nicely with the fronts I am sure to be one happy chappy!

IMG_0148.jpg

Hi Dean ,

Sound will further improve after 70 plus hours. I had it on for last 3 days and had a listen Yesterday and found the imaging to be better and Dirac will 100 % improve the sound . There is massive difference in sound With and Without Dirac in my system. I am glad you liked the NAD. Cheers