Linn Sondek LP12 service

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here. I have just joined. Put this in my hello but it was suggested I post it here. I'm wanting to upgrade an old system so I can stream music, play radio, etc. and possibly put the TV through it. I currently have a Linn Sondek LP12 turntable, Redgum rgi120 (with Jaycar kit phono amp) and some Quad 77-11L speakers. I thought I should start with getting the turntable serviced as it has never been done. Can anyone suggest someone to work on the turntable in Melbourne who is honest, good and  reliable? I don't want to spend a fortune upgrading parts. I have spent a lot of money on high end stuff in the past that kept failing. I just want a system that sounds good. Would like to minimise the amount of gear but need a turntable for all of that vinyl I have. Also, wondering if changing the amp to something like the new Cambridge CXA61 when it arrives in Australia may be a good move. A couple have mentioned Andrew Cole.

Thanks

Glenda

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

This member should be able to point you in the right direction...

...and welcome aboard...:thumb:

Good luck 

Tase.

Glenda had already posted her enquiry under "Newbies", Tase.  :)

@sing38, Andrew Coles is your man, for LP12 servicing.

Andy

Yes. I guess I am also concerned about keeping gear that is also expensive to upkeep. Maybe I should get a more pedestrian turntable. Love the idea of the Yamaha music cast where it could live in another room but maybe the drop in quality would be too much.

2 hours ago, sing38 said:

Yes. I guess I am also concerned about keeping gear that is also expensive to upkeep.

Glenda, an LP12 is not "expensive to upkeep"!

2 hours ago, sing38 said:

Maybe I should get a more pedestrian turntable.

Sure, you could get - say - a Rega.  :lol:  But IMO, your SQ would suffer.  :)

Andy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sing38 said:

Yes. I guess I am also concerned about keeping gear that is also expensive to upkeep. Maybe I should get a more pedestrian turntable. Love the idea of the Yamaha music cast where it could live in another room but maybe the drop in quality would be too much.

I'm pretty sure you will regret. The Linn is a classic, I have a Thorens TD 160 and love it

Once you have your Linn serviced it's pretty much set and forget unless you upgrade and then it's expensive and the skies the limit.

Don't confuse servicing with upgrading.

Your man will adjust spring tension,check your arm and cart, have a squiz at the psu, drop some oil into the bearing, check your rubberband/drivebelt and if nothing needs replacing then your good to go for yonks.

• Like 3