Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

2 hours ago, Powerglide said:

Try some different carts first, you can always keep them if you do get the 10

Thank you, I’ve heard that using a different brand cart on a Rega deck that I will need to adjust the height of the arm, I want to try the Rega apheta 2 to see if it will work on the p3 arm.

57 minutes ago, KO2 said:

Thank you, I’ve heard that using a different brand cart on a Rega deck that I will need to adjust the height of the arm, I want to try the Rega apheta 2 to see if it will work on the p3 arm.

Wise move!  :)  AIUI, Rega arms don't offer the ability to change VTA ... unless you buy a third-party shim set which goes under the base of the pillar.

Andy

• Like 1

@KO2

It's a must do, 9 out of 10 people on this site using a Rega deck won't be using a Rega cart, they're not that bad just not that good. 

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but all Rega carts are the same height - 14mm and their tables/arms are set to accommodate, I have an older planner 3 with the single mount pivot hole, adjustable VTA units are available, not sure on adjustable for the P3 but Rega do static spaces http://www.rega.co.uk/arm-height-adjustment-spacer.html

just deduct 14mm from your new cart height to work out the correct spacer, super easy to install. 

The beauty of adjustable VTA is you can trust your ears over the maths, here is where I'll get slammed by the geometry professors, I believe the accuracy of a level tone arm has the least impact on SQ over all the other settings. 

Trust your ears 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Powerglide said:

The beauty of adjustable VTA is you can trust your ears over the maths, here is where I'll get slammed by the geometry professors, I believe the accuracy of a level tone arm has the least impact on SQ over all the other settings.

Adjustable VTA is an absolute necessity AFAIAC.  Even Linn - who are without doubt the chief proponent of "don't mess with it, lad - go to your dealer" - have adjustable VTA on their arms.

However, I would say that a 'level tone arm' is not actually the optimum for some carts.  My Grado Reference Reference preferred a slightly downwards tilt towards the pillar.

But IMO, it has a significant impact on SQ.

Trust your ears 

Absof'inglutely!  :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr

14 hours ago, Powerglide said:

@KO2

It's a must do, 9 out of 10 people on this site using a Rega deck won't be using a Rega cart, they're not that bad just not that good. 

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but all Rega carts are the same height - 14mm and their tables/arms are set to accommodate, I have an older planner 3 with the single mount pivot hole, adjustable VTA units are available, not sure on adjustable for the P3 but Rega do static spaces http://www.rega.co.uk/arm-height-adjustment-spacer.html

just deduct 14mm from your new cart height to work out the correct spacer, super easy to install. 

Trust your ears 

Thank you, what will be the best mc cart for the p3’s? Since I already have the aria as my phono stage and I’ve read somewhere that the apheta 2 is the perfect match for the aria, the only concern I have, is the apheta a perfect match for the p3? I have been searching the web to see if anyone have upgraded their p3 to an apheta2 cart and could not find anything.

12 hours ago, andyr said:

Adjustable VTA is an absolute necessity AFAIAC.  Even Linn - who are without doubt the chief proponent of "don't mess with it, lad - go to your dealer" - have adjustable VTA on their arms.

However, I would say that a 'level tone arm' is not actually the optimum for some carts.  My Grado Reference Reference preferred a slightly downwards tilt towards the pillar.

But IMO, it has a significant impact on SQ.

Absof'inglutely!  :thumb:

Andy

VTAF

Vertical Tracking Angle on the Fly

https://www.vtaf.com/vtafdescription.html

available for many tonearms!

11 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

VTAF

Vertical Tracking Angle on the Fly

https://www.vtaf.com/vtafdescription.html

available for many tonearms!

Very cool, Ian.  :thumb:  A must for Rega arm owners!  :)

The Graham 2.2 I had on my LP12 had VTA-on-the-fly (it was the main reason I bought that arm!).  And a couple of years ago Duc upgraded my 12" 'Univector' with his VTA-on-the-fly kit.

Andy

This literally happen to me yesterday. Moved one of my cartridge to another arm. Had a squashed in imaging where I know it should have been much better. I started with level and lift slightly which was ok normally but since I moved from 10 inch to 12 inch tonearm I had to lift it much higher than normal to get the imaging I used to have.

These guys make some good stuff at a fraction of the cost.

I believe this one suits the OP'ers arm 

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/tonearms/new-rega-3-point-vta-adjuster/

I'm using their single mount on an RB600 with easy install and adjustment

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/tonearms/vta-arm-adjuster/

• 2 weeks later...

Blast from the past dynavector 17d2 MK2 with diamond cantilever. Haven't used this in a while cos it's a pain to setup. Sure it doesn't have the treble extension like a modern lyra does but it sure has amazing tone and midrange. Its the first time I've put in in my 12 inch jelco never realised how light this cartridge is. Have to put the weight quite close to the pivot base

IMG_20190113_100552.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mloutfie said:

Blast from the past dynavector 17d2 MK2 with diamond cantilever. Haven't used this in a while cos it's a pain to setup. Sure it doesn't have the treble extension like a modern lyra does but it sure has amazing tone and midrange. Its the first time I've put in in my 12 inch jelco never realised how light this cartridge is. Have to put the weight quite close to the pivot base

But the c/weight close to the pivot base is the best place for it to be!  :)  (Minimum inertia)

Andy

9 minutes ago, andyr said:

But the c/weight close to the pivot base is the best place for it to be!  :)  (Minimum inertia)

Andy

Maybe it's meant to be then :) my other cartridge tends to be on the heavier side that's why I found it odd

On 13/01/2019 at 2:38 PM, andyr said:

Andy

On 13/01/2019 at 2:49 PM, mloutfie said:

Maybe it's meant to be then :) my other cartridge tends to be on the heavier side that's why I found it odd

'Inertia' (Moment of Inertia) will be lower closer to the pivot, as distance (of c'wt) will be less  & Inertia is proportional to radial distance ;).

However, in practice we know that what's actually important is the Resonant Freq of the tonearm + cartridge combo, so that at lowest useful audio freqs, the tonearm appears as a solid object, as far as the cartridge is concerned.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y

3 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

Actually, 'Inertia' (Moment of Inertia) will be lower closer to the pivot, as distance (of c'wt) will be less  & Inertia is proportional to radial distance ;).

It's proportional to that distance squared, hence it's better to half twice the mass at half the distance.

31 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It's proportional to that distance squared, hence it's better to half twice the mass at half the distance.

Indeed, but as said, it's irrelevant anyway as, at the lowest audio freqs that we are interested in, the tonearm & cartridge should appear as solid (infinite mass)  to the stylus ;) if properly set up.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Just completed - 1962 Denon valve phono stage with matching SUT's built for Denon 103. Internals updated to a current Audio Note design using their caps among others. Running in now & sound spectacular. A rare & special piece bought back to life ?

20190121_121203.jpg

20190121_121351.jpg

20190121_124920.jpg

• Like 8