Cheap 4k vs higher quality 1080p?

probably depends on what OP can fit in I am suspecting, though op can confirm. given we have picture spilling onto speakers and such not sure how much room have available for a larger screen.

with regards screen size the only factor is really viewing distance. a 120" size screen viewed at 3.6m at thx spec for immersion will look exactly same size as a 100" screen from 3m.

as far as 4k goes at 3m for a 100" screen will be over resolving 1080p so will most definitely get gains with 4k. a 120" at 3m is beyond thx spec for immersion and will be significantly over resolving 1080p and even more so for below 1080p material so depends again what OP wants :) or can fit in for that matter :).  keeping in mind resolution is not the only focus of uhd, there is also WCG and HDR both of which are significant factors also

It was a single car garage that I got converted with fake walls and fake ceiling and the painted all black . Sadly neither I or the people doing the renovations had the idea of putting in atmos speakers when we had the fake ceiling put in. So silly of me.

the room is very rectangular It’s probably around 5m long I presume and maybe 3 or 3.5m wide. I have some big subs and speakers on top of the and the screen goes in between that. I had bought the screen before I had bought the house so I could probably fit in a slightly larger screen but probably not much larger. My current screen does has a couple of inches of black on the outsides of it and the bottom and has a lot of black on the top it’s a electric motor screen. Behind which I have a tv. It comes down in front of the tv and stops above ththe center speaker. 

changing the screen would mean someone removing the old one and attaching the new on sadly I am not very diy so I probably wouldn’t know how to do it . Also I guess I have to remove the sensor for the remote etc as it’s a remote controlled screen.

I can probably get maybe an extra 10” or so of screen space before it starts to be hidden by the front speakers .

i will take a pic and put it up 

I sit around 11 ft away so and the projector is on a stand behind me.

Edited by lonewolf
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

It was a single car garage that I got converted with fake walls and fake ceiling and the painted all black . Sadly neither I or the people doing the renovations had the idea of putting in atmos speakers when we had the fake ceiling put in. So silly of me.

the room is very rectangular It’s probably around 5m long I presume and maybe 3 or 3.5m wide. I have some big subs and speakers on top of the and the screen goes in between that. I had bought the screen before I had bought the house so I could probably fit in a slightly larger screen but probably not much larger. My current screen does has a couple of inches of black on the outsides of it and the bottom and has a lot of black on the top it’s a electric motor screen. Behind which I have a tv. It comes down in front of the tv and stops above ththe center speaker. 

changing the screen would mean someone removing the old one and attaching the new on sadly I am not very diy so I probably wouldn’t know how to do it . Also I guess I have to remove the sensor for the remote etc as it’s a remote controlled screen.

I can probably get maybe an extra 10” or so of screen space before it starts to be hidden by the front speakers .

i will take a pic and put it up 

I sit around 11 ft away so and the projector is on a stand behind me.

Hi wolf ... one option with this can be to have all speakers in front stage and then Literally screen that off with an AT screen 

if not diy capable don’t fret any handy man be able to achieve what’s needed with a frame for screen from say Oztheatre locally :)

siting 11ft away anything over 100” is fine though I’d err to under 120”

with projector behind could sit all electronics in a rack with it so cable length for 4k doesn’t matter

as to atmos can always be retro fitted any sparky will do for you ... where will there is a way. Atmos or 3D audio will remain THE no 1 upgrade I’ve done and wouldn’t think possible in my setup which has room above and other challenges. Look forward to the pics :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Haha very true, sadly I am hopeless at selling. Think I have a bout 3 other projectors besides my jvc in my possession at the moment. Had a couple more but gave them away to friends and gave a jvc  to my bro. 

Mate ; throw in a free subwoofer with each projector ; I imagine theres still quite a few in possession knowing your ads :)

• Like 2

On 07/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, cwt said:

Mate ; throw in a free subwoofer with each projector ; I imagine theres still quite a few in possession knowing your ads :)

Too many of too many AV items. i have filled up 2 households now :(. Terrible at selling.

Decided to stick with my current projector till a 4k option comes along with more flexibility to fit my room / system plus hopefully another JVC or Epson. It sounds like it will be a step down to go to a BenQ

Edited by lonewolf
  • Like 1