New build, HT room advice

Hello all,

Im in the process of finalizing my house plan.

I have requested a coffered ceiling, sunken lounge room and a stage for a second row of seats.

I have measured my couches and the stage need to be 2.5m to allow for the second row of seats so i can reduce the size on the plan.

I intend on mounting a projector and inserting speakers inside the walls.

I have also requested Philips LED strip to be within the coffered ceiling along the edges to provide lighting.

I am considering also putting in two down lights to light up the projector screen are but i am considering changing this to wall mount lights

Can you provide any comments and advice for my design?

House - contract version.JPG

nice main bed/wir/suite by the way.

can i ask why a sunken lounge?

how high is the ceiling normally.. normal + sunken depth- riser height =?.

what sound system are you thinking of.. number of speakers/subs?

screen size?

similar size room ideas.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQxNd1Lf38

The screen will be on the wall closest to the dining room. I would like 100" 

Projector I'm looking at is 

Optoma HD29H 1080P @ 120Hz DLP Projector x 1 Unit (Accepts 4K and HDR)

https://www.optoma.com/au/product/hd29h/

Speakers are based on the following

Paradigm Elite Series E80-IW 8” In Wall 2 Way Speakers x 5 Units

https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-wall-speakers/ci-elite-e80-iw

Paradigm Elite Series E80-R 8” In Ceiling 2 Way Speakers x 2 Units

https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-ceiling-speakers/ci-elite-e80-r

Paradigm UltraCube 12 650w 12” Sealed Subwoofer x 1 Unit

https://www.paradigm.com/en/sealed/ultracube-12

The ceiling height wouldn't allow a 350mm stage so that is why I went for a sunk lounge. I have also requested sound proofing in the walls and stage.

The following should be the dimensions of the ceiling unless this was before the option to sink the Lou geroom started.

- Standing on the lower portion of the theatre under the coffer, the ceiling height will be 2386mm
- Standing on the lower portion of the theatre in the centre, the ceiling height will be 2486mm
- Standing on the upper portion of the theatre in the centre, the ceiling height will be 2236mm
- Standing on the upper portion of the theatre under the coffer, the ceiling height will be 2136mm

The following acoustic insulation will be in the walls, however I am considering putting some in the stage cavity as well. 

Acoustic R2.7 (90mm) wall batts to:
- Theatre / Entry
- Theatre / Family & Dining
Edited by mctrix

hmm 100" screen? i suggest experimenting on the wall first as i reckon you will want the "usual" sweet spot size being 120" especially in your sized room.

also think/research the sub more imo. the ultra cube is interesting i guess and cheaper here

https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/paradigm-ultracube-12-subwoofer-12inch-650w.htm

basically in the price range of the svs pb1000. but that is ported and imo for a dedicated HT room sealed is a maybe.

Guest Peter the Greek

If its sunken, I'd have the door at riser level i.e. 300mm above the room's floor level. Walk onto the riser. Its a very practical way to do it, you can have a full riser from side to side, and it gives the roomer a grander entrance in my opinion - you walk in and look down. This will need a minimum ceiling height of 2700 in that room. This can get expensive. It might be cheaper to do the whole house that height.

Build it as a bass trap - search the forum for riser bass trap. Or AVS. If you can't find it I'll dig out the articles for you. 

You'll want a larger screen I reckon.

10 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

hmm 100" screen? i suggest experimenting on the wall first as i reckon you will want the "usual" sweet spot size being 120" especially in your sized room.

also think/research the sub more imo. the ultra cube is interesting i guess and cheaper here

https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/paradigm-ultracube-12-subwoofer-12inch-650w.htm

basically in the price range of the svs pb1000. but that is ported and imo for a dedicated HT room sealed is a maybe.

is the room long enough for 120'? where would i mount the projector to get the picture? so opt for a sealed sub? How would it go with placing the subs inside the stage?

8 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

If its sunken, I'd have the door at riser level i.e. 300mm above the room's floor level. Walk onto the riser. Its a very practical way to do it, you can have a full riser from side to side, and it gives the roomer a grander entrance in my opinion - you walk in and look down. This will need a minimum ceiling height of 2700 in that room. This can get expensive. It might be cheaper to do the whole house that height.

Build it as a bass trap - search the forum for riser bass trap. Or AVS. If you can't find it I'll dig out the articles for you. 

You'll want a larger screen I reckon.

so have the stage flush against the side of the room and then a sunken part in the front? im not sure i get what you are meaning. from the door you will step down into the lounge room with the current design

4 hours ago, Passin said:

Did you realise your door is close to screen? Is that your preference? :I did a mistake having it close to screen. If you are going for a double door choose fixed door is pn screen side.

Yes, it is a slider door. Can you expand on why it is an issue? The door will be shut when viewing media

Being a sliding door is a little better as it does not encroach into room where it may cause an issue in placement of front standing speakers. 

However,  the second issue is whenever someone opens door light may straight hits the screen.

The impact is lesser when the door is away from screen i guess.

• Like 1

Understood about the door. Will reconsider placement. Can't flip it unless I put the screen against windows.

Any suggestions on speakers and the placement? 

I'm seeking wall speakers so to make it a tad neater and 7.2 for atmos.

I will mount a tv and then a drop down screen.

can i suggest you look at several things before deciding on the exact room design..

1. budget.. no mention so far

2. research in wall speaker set ups. ie: contact krix for general info (or others that do inwalls0

3. in wall fronts can be fine but in wall centre is usually done for an acoustically transparent screen. the position of a centre may mess with the tv placement.

4. speaker selection  has many variables.. budget, listening experience/ expectations and available space.

5. 2 subs please with 2 rows of seating.. 1 at front and 1 behind 2nd row imo. ( but each to their own)

6. 120" screen.. minimum in that room imo.. 1st row eyes to screen around 3.2m is good immersion. thats why i would set it up and not buy a screen until you have spent a couple of weeks projecting onto the wall. then decide the size.. but i doubt you will want smaller.

7. budget

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

can i suggest you look at several things before deciding on the exact room design..

1. budget.. no mention so far

2. research in wall speaker set ups. ie: contact krix for general info (or others that do inwalls0

3. in wall fronts can be fine but in wall centre is usually done for an acoustically transparent screen. the position of a centre may mess with the tv placement.

4. speaker selection  has many variables.. budget, listening experience/ expectations and available space.

5. 2 subs please with 2 rows of seating.. 1 at front and 1 behind 2nd row imo. ( but each to their own)

6. 120" screen.. minimum in that room imo.. 1st row eyes to screen around 3.2m is good immersion. thats why i would set it up and not buy a screen until you have spent a couple of weeks projecting onto the wall. then decide the size.. but i doubt you will want smaller.

7. budget

Budget is 7-10k Inc installation. 

I already have a 100" motorized screen.

65" z9d and a sony str1080 amp.

So require speakers and projector. 

Can you/other expand comments on the speakers I have stated in an earlier post?

Guest Peter the Greek

Forget the sliding door. 2 reasons, they completely suck for sound proofing, not that you are employing such methods, but no point in making it worse. Second - if you need to hang something on it - speaker, acoustic panel etc, you can with a swing door.

On 10/09/2019 at 2:44 PM, Peter the Greek said:

I have researched this and if i understand it correctly....i should put vents in the stage?

Edited by mctrix

@mctrix as others have mentioned you can't insulate the slider and it'll rattle like a pig after a while, so don't do that. You'll actually want a decent door and proper sealing around it... get familiar with the Raven catalogue. 

I'd be doing the entire perimeter with R2.7 - really not that more expensive and the difference in performance is useful. I did this just last month on our reno, no regrets. 

if you want to go nuts on the internal insulation consider a double stud wall with offset framework and no connection between the woodwork. Batts are nice, you'll still get acoustic conductivity through the frame.