General Headphone Chat

Just now, bruc3 said:

@Odyssey just bought myself a pair of Bendix 6080 and RCA 6as7g from Neil.

I will post some impressions when I receive them. Looking forward to it.

You have the best tubes now. Need any advice on driver tubes, look at my previous post.

35 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Haha. It'll be on its way tomorrow fam. You want it expressed?

20210113_142018.jpg

Nah its ok, standard shipping is fine I rather spend the difference on 3 Mcnuggets from McDonalds.

Its ironic as I will likely mostly be using it as SE to my Figaro anyhow via an adapter. Balance cable just for the convenience occasionally when I do decide to use it on my CMA12.  Plus your cable looks way sicker than the stock cables.

Edited by bruc3

XLR to 6.35mm adapter maybe?

Not sure what the stock cable uses, I used 26 AWG Mogami OFC on yours. And its pretty soft and super super light. Like a Periapt but without the bulk. Hart might use the same too, not 100% sure what they stick in their cables now.

16 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

XLR to 6.35mm adapter maybe?

Yes I bought one of those Youkamoo branded ones from Aliexpress, actually still waiting for it to arrive.

Other curious thing I want to test (even though the manual explicitly warns not to do it haha) is seeing if I can have 2 headphones plugged in at once to the CMA12 i.e. my HD800S via 4.4mm balanced and HD6xx via XLR. Lets hope it does not go "kaput".

21 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Yes I bought one of those Youkamoo branded ones from Aliexpress, actually still waiting for it to arrive.

Other curious thing I want to test (even though the manual explicitly warns not to do it haha) is seeing if I can have 2 headphones plugged in at once to the CMA12 i.e. my HD800S via 4.4mm balanced and HD6xx via XLR. Lets hope it does not go "kaput".

No Bruce don’t. Follow manufacturer’s instructions. Don’t damage your CMA 12. Btw mines on sales. ?

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

@Geoff@HeyNow Hi-Fi stands arrived ?  thanks.

Guys, need anything see Geoff or browse his website. Superb guy and super deals. 

Sorry I must have missed it, but what are you using those stands for?

I was thinking of getting them for my Adam T5V, but in the end got some cheap isolation pads instead and placed it on my current stands. Seems to absorb the bass a bit better, but can still get boomy from time to time, likely I just have the rear ports to close to my wall.

Nice, yeah those iso stands should suit your setup well, isoacoustics seems to have a huge following.

Currently my stands are a bit higher than I like (even on minimum setting) but luckily it has tilt function, so I just tilt down the tweeters to direct to my ears, seems to work well.

1 hour ago, bruc3 said:

Sorry I must have missed it, but what are you using those stands for?

I was thinking of getting them for my Adam T5V, but in the end got some cheap isolation pads instead and placed it on my current stands. Seems to absorb the bass a bit better, but can still get boomy from time to time, likely I just have the rear ports to close to my wall.

Do a frequency sweep tone and focus on when it gets boomy. Then EQ that down a touch, with a high Q value so doesn't effect too much other frequencies.

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Do a frequency sweep tone and focus on when it gets boomy. Then EQ that down a touch, with a high Q value so doesn't effect too much other frequencies.

Hmmm..interesting I will try giving that a go. I am hopeless at EQ'ing though, but got to start learning I guess, especially with a headphone like the HD800S.

2 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Hmmm..interesting I will try giving that a go. I am hopeless at EQ'ing though, but got to start learning I guess, especially with a headphone like the HD800S.

With the RME in my setup I’ve got simple EQ functionality at my fingertips. I’ve dabbled in a few changes based on various recommendations I’ve read online, but in the end I think it’s best without EQ. Love the HD800S. One of the best headphones you can buy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Let me know if you need help.

I run a 20hz to 20khz tone. And concentrate on the volume. You'll notice it's relatively louder sounding in some areas, just note then down and EQ them

I had a 130hz and a 350hz boomy spike with my setup.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Ray, did you get your HPA4 yet? Impressions please ?

No I don’t have it yet, apparently it’s in the Hey Now Hi Fi Benchmark order arriving in a couple of weeks.