DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

A Mate of mine wanted a power supply for a shed stereo, so I built him this.

1000w (3.5Kva surge) continuous at 230vac, Guaranteed not to make noise :love

IMG_4862.JPG

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, Eddierukiddingvarese said:

Hear Hear, now who here has got the best bit of HI Fi kit in a shed..................

There are a few contenders @Darren69 has a nice shed system :thumb:

Mine has 6 x 18's and an old pair of horns, loud and nasty

Just now, koputai said:

Umm, can you define 'shed'?

Does it have to be tin, or can it be a workshop under your house? ;)

Converted workshop would suffice, what about a shipping container ? tin ? 

This was the original 6L6 tube amp in a wine gift box. From this I built the far more improved model in the stained wine box. Listening to it now and love it.

I had another crack at the original but with 12AU7 and JJ blue glass KT88s. Sounds excellent and dead quiet but I'm not happy with the PS. So tomorrow, once more, I'll alter the PS to the one I know works. It can us the tranni box or the second one (Silver Supreme). I have some black metal 6L6s which I'll drop in. For now here are some images with the KT88s.

P2243589 (800x600).jpg

P2243590 (800x600).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

I made a holder for all my white triangles ....  still room to grow the collection.

IMG_0011.png.4a98f916e2910bcfa643eadb17160136.png

Dave, rumour tells me you have a truck load of XLR bats and this is all "ya got Mate" 

Go right across that back wall with the triangles :hiccup 3 or 4 are better than 1

edit sorry, was excited about the bats, nice job

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

this is all "ya got Mate"

So far, I have what is in the photo  (90w 45d, 2.3h)

.... on the front wall I have a projector screen (acoustic transparent) which disguises a ~ 2.4x1.2 absorber, which is 150mm thick.

When I get my finger out....    The ceiling is going to get ~4m x 5m, 300mm deep.

Front speakers are going to be built into corner traps.

Sidewalls, yet to be determined.

Most of it (except the screen and speakers, of course) will have some sort of diffusion / reflection over it.... will require some experimentation.

I did the obligatory  "bring the entire stash inside, and chuck it anywhere"  test .... and the result was quite dramatic for the LF.

f60f06b24c66b996ea1b5df7b6df3544.jpg061fed84c2dcecd9b95523205949f373.jpgMy ALDI router table was too small, too inaccurate, and also wouldn't accommodate the 19mm radius bit I needed to round the edges of my ESL panel frames, so I built one using the legs and switch from the ALDI one, a sheet of laminated MDF and a Bakelite router table insert, with a bit of 2x4 acting as a fence! It's temporarily clamped in place but will eventually be on runners. At the heart of it is a 1980s 2hp Makita router. You really know you're alive when you're feeding work into a 45mm razor sharp propeller travelling at 24,000rpm [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

f60f06b24c66b996ea1b5df7b6df3544.jpg061fed84c2dcecd9b95523205949f373.jpgMy ALDI router table was too small, too inaccurate, and also wouldn't accommodate the 19mm radius bit I needed to round the edges of my ESL panel frames, so I built one using the legs and switch from the ALDI one, a sheet of laminated MDF and a Bakelite router table insert, with a bit of 2x4 acting as a fence! It's temporarily clamped in place but will eventually be on runners. At the heart of it is a 1980s 2hp Makita router. You really know you're alive when you're feeding work into a 45mm razor sharp propeller travelling at 24,000rpm [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work there mate. Any more photos of your creation?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Upfront said:

Nice work there mate. Any more photos of your creation?

Thanks very much. There's a whole thread on it - it's a bit long as the thread starts at the beginning of a long journey of discovery! This is the page with some recent photos.

Having a go putting this 50w x 2 mosfet stereo amp together over the weekend :) quite a few holes to mark drill and tap yet. Replaced some poly fuse devices on the module with copper wire bridges on advice as it has speaker protection via dc offset main power input relay

IMG_4925.JPG

Having a go putting this 50w x 2 mosfet stereo amp together over the weekend [emoji4] quite a few holes to mark drill and tap yet. Replaced some poly fuse devices on the module with copper wire bridges on advice as it has speaker protection via dc offset main power input relay
IMG_4925.thumb.JPG.df45553d3507e140031f1ee9abfc7951.JPG

If only I could afford 3 of these and a monster!!!

9 hours ago, Upfront said:

If only I could afford 3 of these and a monster!!!

I'm doing 2 and I know of a couple of other modules ")

IMG_4927.JPG

make some thing to hold it together and get on with drilling the heat sinks

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

there isn't much height in the case at 100mm outside 

Edited by Guest

New I'm happy. I have the whole PS issue sorted. Apart from simple tweak I'm happy with the whole. This one also runs from my universal tranni box. One set of two trannies wihich supply 12VAC and 250VAC. My stained box 6L6 uses the same tranni box. Saves about $100 a build.

JJ KT88s and a Phillips 12AU7 make the tube compliment. HT is 320V and amd filament voltage is 12V. Bias is 22V on the 88.

I have only had a quick listen for about 300mins and sounds really nice. Not sure it will top the 6L6 but nice to be able to amp roll using the same base PS.

image.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 2