DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

55 minutes ago, hyper said:

Thanks shaky appreciated mate. Yeh it's wood veneer, macassar ebony on ply in gloss. Phono is lined with 0.8mm copper sheeting same as PSU.

Very pretty. As far as useful electronics boxes can be pretty!! I like them. 

• Like 1

Having a go putting this 50w x 2 mosfet stereo amp together over the weekend [emoji4] quite a few holes to mark drill and tap yet. Replaced some poly fuse devices on the module with copper wire bridges on advice as it has speaker protection via dc offset main power input relay
IMG_4925.thumb.JPG.df45553d3507e140031f1ee9abfc7951.JPG

Is that a new Holton desktop? If so what do you think?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@WiffleWhat do I think ? First thing noted on fire up was the totally dead silent operation.

Doesnt seem like a 50w amp on the C803's at 91dB sensitivity, more like a 100w amp. Buckets of power in a tiny brick amp (this one is the de-tuned version single die Fets and small Tx).

The Raspberry PC front end seems to do a lot of justice to files on NAS very easy listening, laid back, content revealing detail and tube like with amazing stage that forms up behind and is wider than the speakers.

Like this one enough to buy 3 more (will have 4). 1 each for a pair of dual coil 12" subs. (one also for the Mrs) Crossover via a mini DSP. So there will be a mini desk amp "stack" :rolleyes: end game, job done.

Now to make the new mini system look beautiful at the moment it's in a bit of an experimental mess, sorry.

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

There has been a lot of amps trialed at that bench :cool:

Edited by Guest

On 3/12/2017 at 3:29 PM, mwhouston said:

@125dBmonster looks very smart and pro.

Thanks, Sounds a lot better than it looks, Mark. ;) Very fine combo in operation, love it.

Still waiting on all the fasteners for final finish of the case, will be all counter sinked and flush. Re paint also

Edited by Guest

Thanks @125dBmonster; it certainly looks compact, but very pro! Maybe you should call it the Tardis; bigger on the inside than the outside? ;-)

I was curious of your impressions because Anthony is currently in the process of building me an NXV500; I'm guessing it'll have a similar "family" sound to the desktop unit? Bit of a gamble buying such an amp unheard, and it's hard to find people who've used his amps in home hifi, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a big step up from my Redgum, and hopefully the last amp I ever buy...

Until I need a little desktop for a 2nd system... :-)

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, Wiffle said:

Thanks @125dBmonster; it certainly looks compact, but very pro! Maybe you should call it the Tardis; bigger on the inside than the outside? ;-)

I was curious of your impressions because Anthony is currently in the process of building me an NXV500; I'm guessing it'll have a similar "family" sound to the desktop unit? Bit of a gamble buying such an amp unheard, and it's hard to find people who've used his amps in home hifi, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a big step up from my Redgum, and hopefully the last amp I ever buy...

Until I need a little desktop for a 2nd system... :-)

The idea of the little amp was to get a taste of the monster Pro Amps 

I own 8 of Anthony's amps, a bit of a hoarder of fine electronics :P built 6 to date, 2 more in the mail

You won't look back. Anthony's Amps are ultra rare built one at a time with care and love.

On 3/12/2017 at 4:04 PM, Wiffle said:

Ha ha; 8 of them is quite a collection! emoji38.png I'm certainly looking forward to getting it into my system in a few weeks time!

I hope you have a really power hungry pair of speakers, the 500 is like Mike Tyson in a box and will shred cones and melt coils without distortion, haha. Be mindful they are tested with "a 1000w, 3 Ohm resistor" to ensure correct to specification, then speakers (: 

I hope you have a really power hungry pair of speakers, the 500 is like Mike Tyson in a box and will shred cones and melt coils without distortion, haha. Be mindful they are tested with "a 1000w, 3 Ohm resistor" to ensure correct to specification, then speakers (: 

Speakers are 86dB 8ohm floorstanders but very conservatively rated to 60w, so caution will need to be exercised! Still, I'd much rather have surplus power on tap than overdrive an underpowered amp; and there's no kids in the house so should be able to manage it :-)

• Like 1

On 05/03/2017 at 5:52 PM, felixx said:

Here is what I do for my HPD 295A....

I have 88litres and for 12" you should go to 150 litres.
I begin filling 33% of volume with acoustic wool or fiberglass or Angel hair (BEST and only a few grams will be used) and  is tuned to 35Hz,with F6 at 35hz,relative to 50hz.Sensitivity  94 dB...not bad.
Decent group-delay and port velocity.It can be resized the enclosure but I don't change the internal depth because of port and naturally keep volume constant. Also keep fills tight on enclosure near port.
I think I touch the F3 of 40Hz modding the dampening and port....I put the ports on the back ...on the straight line and on the bottom half of the speaker.
To achieve a good balance for the vocals/instruments was my goal.
I have also the port dimensions ......4" dia and 9,8" long....that means 100mm dia and 250mm long.You could have a longer port...let say 300mm and do the finest adjustments.....I cut on 250mm.I choose Angel Hair dampening material for very good results,because I needed a few grams (very good dampening).
This way I have a better spl without mudding the sound with extra wool ....that would "steal" from midrange details.....

Some of upper tunnings can be useful for 12" also....

Here are more pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

WOW, nice speakers, thanks for sharing

I've had it with devices powered by dodgy AC/AC or AC/DC converters.

Don't get me wrong, they all work well, and they are superb products, but the fact that I can't turn them off properly, sometimes it gives me the s***s. Plus, some of them have the plug embedded in a body that just happens to occupy two spaces, the one on the right or on the left.

But instead of whinging (whining?) about it and blame others for my own misery, I decided to do something about it. A small power distribution unit, to provide DC or AC to the devices that need it as requested. Well, the design in my head had more space, but at least I'll be able to power a USB hub, the Raspberry Pi 3 and the DAC, in which case I save 2 more sockets.

One switch to power the hub with 5V up to 5A, the other one 9VAC at 2A for the DAC. The hub powers then the Pi3 and a hard drive. I can use the DAC standalone if I watch a movie or listen to a CD, or I power up both, DAC and Pi. 2 trannies to do the job, both independent. Add an EMI filter in a metal enclosure, some sockets, fuses, LEDs and wires, and off we go.

After having the week full of work, I was lucky to be able to take the day off today, so I spent a few hours drilling and wiring and testing and....

In the beginning I was a bit skeptic about the case, it turned out that with a coat of black spray the look factor improves considerably. Another thing, and this is the killer, this metal (brushed aluminium methinks, but not sure) is a pleasure to work with using regular hobby/diy tools. I could cut the hole for the IEC socket with a rod/tile saw, and it worked a treat. Drilling was as smooth as butter. Just got a decent-ish step drill bit and it did the job just fine. No nasty rests off the edges. A bit of filing and you're set. True, the case does not look like much, and it's not 100% straight (the walls are not parallel, rather a trapeze), but in the dark and inside the shelf, you'd hardy notice.

IMG20170313123911.thumb.jpg.0bcf2a4c865cedb6c4a80f17bb457cf1.jpg

Testing positions.

IMG20170313124730.thumb.jpg.65796bdb112ad6e7f17b41eb4f19412c.jpg

IMG20170313124743.thumb.jpg.6cd2b7ffe08c35bcecb87fb3e6c4147d.jpg

IMG20170313124808.thumb.jpg.cf01f98e683de11a6a560d981926c8b9.jpg

Still needs a bit of cable management/house keeping...

IMG20170313170509.thumb.jpg.6790b0cd9a649cb0714df0244fae867d.jpg

The wiring's working now, it didn't blow up (whew!) the LED's light, the buttons work, and it has two coats of black on it already. Need to connect the 5V DC module, finish off the cover, and that's that!

More to come, in a few days!

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 6

@betocool looks good. You can purchase (I have) some ultra low noise 5V and variable voltage regs. Think $50 each but the noise is in the uV range. 

Great solution and I suffering the same issue. Two many low voltage low power devices. 

When Spraying I use an etching primer and epoxy enamel paint. Takes a week to dry before you can touch it then a month to go rock hard. Excellent finish and colour (or tone) and tough once dry. Prep with at least a 320 grit first.  

Thanks @mwhouston,

I'm not too fussed about the low noise, more about the ability to deliver 5A for the hard drive and the Pi. Haven't actually tested it yet. but will tonight. Anyway, I'm confident it will work.

I got some epoxy enamel (I think?), but I just sprayed it on top after a perfunctory clean, I want to keep this matt/brushed look where possible. We'll see how that turns out.

Later on in the year I want to repeat the exercise but for a 240V power distributor. Basically, one switch controls all. But that's still in the planning.

You're joking, no I'm serious. This is a OPAMP based preamp using 2 X OPA227 OPAMPS. Virtually dual mono construction in a Prada  phone solid cardboard box. Caps are Cornell Dubilier and Solen and all wiring is solid 0.7mm pure silver. Runs on two sets of two 9V batteries. Two selectable inputs and Alps Blue Velvet pot. Dead quiet and dynamic sound with lots of gain.

WP_20170318_17_37_20_Pro_LI (449x800).jpg

WP_20170318_17_37_47_Pro_LI (657x800).jpg

WP_20170318_17_38_53_Pro_LI (587x800).jpg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 3

And finished!

After some painting and coating and what not, some internal cabling, the power distributor is happily powering a DAC, a Pi and a hard drive. Left for the DAC, right for the Pi and all things PC related.IMG20170321174417.thumb.jpg.6f5aabac89f8fb60ed23c37fd2ef4522.jpg

All at the touch of two switches, and I gained two power points!

• Like 2

Over the last 2 days I've built 3 of these diffuser/absorber panels. Foam is from Sound Acoustics in Melb, $59(+freight) per panel x6 panels. 6mm mdf 1200x600 from bunnings, around $8. 50x75x3mm steel angle brackets for feet and m6 screws, 12x16mm aluminium u - channel as a stiffener, Parfix fast grip building adhesive to secure the panels, feltac for under the feet so they don't scratch the floor. Total cost about $500 and maybe 2hrs total build time. Reckon they came out ok [emoji5]
99dfe58f372a6cde4f60ee280b7d78f2.jpg
de46d715549b1476b65d3907e7c809a5.jpg
ee3d68d8f4017d7c7f07199e57003451.jpg
94e66c8ce7b09ab37593f5bdeb7718d8.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/18/2017 at 0:51 AM, mwhouston said:

You're joking, no I'm serious. This is a OPAMP based preamp using 2 X OPA227 OPAMPS. Virtually dual mono construction in a Prada  phone solid cardboard box. Caps are Cornell Dubilier and Solen and all wiring is solid 0.7mm pure silver. Runs on two sets of two 9V batteries. Two selectable inputs and Alps Blue Velvet pot. Dead quiet and dynamic sound with lots of gain.

WP_20170318_17_37_20_Pro_LI (449x800).jpg

WP_20170318_17_37_47_Pro_LI (657x800).jpg

WP_20170318_17_38_53_Pro_LI (587x800).jpg

Geez that's cool would sound amazing I bet

Nice work Mark