DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

1 minute ago, Upfront said:

But then I wont be able to get them on the bench in the shed! Trying to find the happy medium. I'm hoping to have the crossover frequency at around 1200hz. Up to 3000hz if need be. But I'll be starting 1200hz first.

Just make a bigger shed with a bigger bench to put the big horns in.

• Like 1

Haven't seen the first one out of the plug yet, [emoji3]

Still drying mate. Its slowly pulling away from the plug but seems to be taking paint with it. So will have to strip the paint off the plug and repaint for the second one. Pain in the bum but i should have waited longer for the paint to dry.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

Still drying mate. Its slowly pulling away from the plug but seems to be taking paint with it. So will have to strip the paint off the plug and repaint for the second one. Pain in the bum but i should have waited longer for the paint to dry.

Never a DIY without some pain, very handy tip.

Interested in this job as I actually have a core from a papermill of the Reflex Copy Paper grade, with a fair few meters on 2m long, probably enough for the 160mm job :) 

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

Edited by Guest

Never a DIY without some pain, very handy tip.
Interested in this job as I actually have a core from a papermill of the Reflex Copy Paper grade, with a fair few meters on 2m long, probably enough for the 160mm job [emoji4] 

IMG_4734.JPG.06252a38b2d385b21d1c94ef7dccb76a.JPG
IMG_4735.thumb.JPG.94ad6e87815230f6ce3de4f1e17aa268.JPG
IMG_4735.JPG
IMG_4734.JPG.6a05155827313c045f62b2c2469271ab.JPG

Paper machè Sato horns?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

Paper machè Sato horns?

Don't know if I would have the patience to do those, paper is there if you want to take it on Mate :) I;ll watch and see how yours go.

Thanks for posting

Don't know if I would have the patience to do those, paper is there if you want to take it on Mate [emoji4] I;ll watch and see how yours go.
Thanks for posting

Aluminiumnis the plan for the satos. The paper machè would flap in the breeze

I made something today I should have made a long time ago, a dolly for moving heavy speakers and subs around instead of risking injury. I got all excited and even made another one for the camping fridge (on the right). There is some leftover marine carpet in the shed which will probably find its way into the tops of the dollies.

Oh yes, the kids have already asked but have been banned from using them as skateboards...

IMG_1296.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

I'll sim it for you when I am home watching the BBL tonight.

The horn as it is now (220mm long, 25mm throat) with a 1" dome tweeter

VS

The horn shortened until the throat is 76mm (makes the horn 138mm long), and using the 3" TangBand driver

Both the drivers roll off at ~6dB/octave above the mass point ... which is expected.

The tweeter works well... where as the TB is a bit wonky and will need EQ.

Becuase the horn only loads the driver down to ~1000Hz .... then excursion increases rapidly if the drivers are used below there.

Screenshot 2017-01-04 20.51.23.png

Screenshot 2017-01-04 20.10.31.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Just looking over all the posts above; two drivers in a big box sounds so easy.

You mean the paper horn ones?    Yep, that is what I'd do with the TB driver and 8" woofer mentioned.   Don't even need a big box.

OTOH, the right driver in the right horn is very superior.

I'm fighting with Volumio2 on my Rpi3 at the moment. It's a nicer interface to RuneAudio, the Spotify interface kicks bum, but I can't get it to f**king work properly! I have to reboot it a couple of times, then it looses the settings and audio is mute.... And don't get me started on the playlists...

Happy I made a backup of my RuneAudio image. Would still like to try a stripped down Raspbian with simpler interfaces perhaps and not all this audiophool hoopla....

I made something today I should have made a long time ago, a dolly for moving heavy speakers and subs around instead of risking injury. I got all excited and even made another one for the camping fridge (on the right). There is some leftover marine carpet in the shed which will probably find its way into the tops of the dollies.

Oh yes, the kids have already asked but have been banned from using them as skateboards...
IMG_1296.JPG

Very very handy mate. Love a good dolly!
  • Like 1

The horn as it is now (220mm long, 25mm throat) with a 1" dome tweeter
VS
The horn shortened until the throat is 76mm (makes the horn 138mm long), and using the 3" TangBand driver

Both the drivers roll off at ~6dB/octave above the mass point ... which is expected.

The tweeter works well... where as the TB is a bit wonky and will need EQ.
Becuase the horn only loads the driver down to ~1000Hz .... then excursion increases rapidly if the drivers are used below there.
Screenshot 2017-01-04 20.51.23.png
Screenshot 2017-01-04 20.10.31.png

Thanks for the sims mate. Will be interesting to see how it goes. At the very least its been a bit of a laugh to build.
  • Like 2

It will need a horn with a cutoff Hz around (ideally just below) the driver Fs.

10 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Here is the ScanSpeak dome tweeter sim from Linc paper horn with a series capacitor added.

People would often refer to a single capacitor between driver and amp, as a "first order crossover" .... but we can see that here it is nothing like that.   The rolloff is much steeper.

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

What about a different 3" driver Dave? Like the Faital pro 3FE25?

For a horn which loads from (let's say) 2000hz upwards .... you need to drive it with a driver that also has around a that sort of cutoff.   (ie. a tweeter).

OTOH.  If you want the horn to reach lower, it will need to be much larger.

• Like 1

Hot off the printer

ELV + USB supplier "power point" that fits a standard Clipsal plaster clip or stud bracket.

Designed to neaten things up a bit and take all USB supplied devices off the PC Supply rails.

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

19 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Did you make this?  (or is it bought?)

Made, except for the purchased bits, 

• ELV Clipsal socket and
  • 10A adjustable 5v supply

Replaces one of the either 12 or 24v outlets at the bush lounge power supply, not sure which yet.

Plate is printed

Capacitor will go in at the same time, for a bit more instant current

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Wrong outlet volts, the PC, Monitor, modem, Internet Link, doesn't use mains in this particular instance. In fact the whole entertainment system may go totally DC.

That plate is a one off and took plenty of hours to program into the PI/Printer. Takes about 6 hours to print.

This set up is audiophile purist and literally a one off to show the value of running DC for stereo, particularly the digital front end

Edited by Guest

Most have never seen a 32vDC ELV Clipsal Outlet, let alone used a proper and correct "DC Supply" 

Wall warts,,,,,,,,,,pfffffft Mate

Try batteries rated in Kwh and caps rated in Farads

Edited by Guest

For a horn which loads from (let's say) 2000hz upwards .... you need to drive it with a driver that also has around a that sort of cutoff.   (ie. a tweeter).

OTOH.  If you want the horn to reach lower, it will need to be much larger.

Got it. I'm even more interested in hearing what it sounds like when its finished. Thanks for doing the sims for me.
Anyone have a suggestion for a 6-8" driver to cover the bottom end? I'm leaning towards the 8" peerless 830869.