Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

Been lurking for a little while. After enjoying everyone else's pictures from afar I thought I'd share my rather modest setups. 

(Trans)portable for work:

PXL_20210224_094444877.thumb.jpg.e5f2c054997ce47f6c6ceb24c684c5b6.jpg

And the time-for-bed home setup:

PXL_20210224_094059722.thumb.jpg.87483d5c8462f39502fd94864f17ad72.jpgPXL_20210224_094116336.thumb.jpg.44346fe6f105be701a98ab62162e0076.jpg

My 10-year old custom made Grado RS2 with cocobolo wood:

PXL_20210114_094250175.thumb.jpg.d46faa71823bdf59a9be41371c61e639.jpg

A bit of night vision: 

20201208_235730.thumb.jpg.74b9198de561d7abb6b0e53504b70cf6.jpg

PXL_20210224_094144895~2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

And that's endgame for me folks.......drops mic.....

Well done. I too agree that is endgame and you could not wish for more, in terms of Bigger Ben and HPA4 and the headphones which are my choice too .... ?

Nice co-ordinated colour of black and blue for the whole setup too. Now just get on with enjoying music !

• Love 1

Just now, barbz127 said:

@BlueOceanBoy

Great looking setup.

How do you find the ps audio p3 and how do you get around only having 4 output sockets?

Thankyou

The PS Audio Stellar P3 improved the overall soundstage of my gear and lowered the noise floor for my amps. I live in an old apartment block next to a transformer.....surprised I don't glow in the dark. I was skeptical that it would make a difference but I get the whole "clean" power thing now. Yes, the four outputs are not ideal. The US version has 6. We have bigger plugs apparently...sure that works for other things too!  I tend to use the plugs for the input front end as that's where I feel the inherent noise is and best to stop it there first.

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

So what does Hugo prefer out of the 3 amps? Or does he prefer the Elekit TU-8600R lol.

You should ask him! I have an idea though....?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

$30k worth of gear and still rocking the washing machine rubber pads Bunnings sells.

Check more closely my young padowan. Surely, they are Interstellar Audio's Plankton Performers Plus, are they not? Carefully crafted in Kazakhstan from the silica of the sand dunes near the Caspian Sea.  Heat blasted at 5 million Kelvin in the nuclear bunkers of Almaty, it is blended with Moon rock and diamond dust. This matrix is then woven into foetal Yak hair to provide the most shock absorbent material known to man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Check more closely my young padowan. Surely, they are Interstellar Audio's Plankton Performers Plus, are they not? Carefully crafted in Kazakhstan from the silica of the sand dunes near the Caspian Sea.  Heat blasted at 5 million Kelvin in the nuclear bunkers of Almaty, it is blended with Moon rock and diamond dust. This matrix is then woven into foetal Yak hair to provide the most shock absorbent material known to man. 

Hahahaha you should change your profession now. You can sell anything to Snow White.

5 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

I have some. Stops my washing machine from vibrating. Clothes never sounded so good.

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

which of the 3 amps do you prefer.

Neil and I both agreed that the quality overall was TOTL and just that each had a different flavour. So unless my tastes in sonics matches yours then a grain of salt is needed, or a demo!

Objectively, Bigger Ben is for sure more nuanced and dynamic than Mogwai SE. No surprises there. Mogwai SE is still very amazing and only by A/B tests do you know there is something more to be had above it. 

Yes I do lean to EL34s as I love midrange and, on headphones, a concise image which the EL's excel at. For folk and rock (bulk of my listening) on headphones I would go to the Nirvana as it's developed just for the EL34s and has the slight edge in smoothness because of it. For hip hop, terchno and classical on headphones the Bigger Ben though - for dynamics and punch. Speakers obviously the Bigger Ben as Nirvana is HP only. So a do-everything amp for sure the Bigger Ben - a no comprimise HP and speaker amp that can change tone with tube changes (EL34, KT77, KT88, 6l6GC). 

But all that said, there's always the Ovation with 1626's for midrange, vocals AND speaker taps ?.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 05/02/2021 at 2:54 PM, Bengineer said:

Only thing changing to my setup this year will be the addition of a Bottlehead Crack, custom height and paint/stain, bit of secret sauce, and some custom cables for these two. No more gear purchases this year. Can quote me on that.

20210205_145721.jpg

Not sure what I was smoking here.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suprised packages today. Suprised with a PS5. Dope. Then after 6 weeks from the UK, some nice proper wire! 6N Silver Plated cotton cored copper wire. And 7N OCC Copper with the black tinted jacket. Was intending a 8 wire cable, but could probably make two very lightweight 4 wire ones out of this. Forza Audioworks base cable is 4x26 AWG, claire is 8x26 AWG. These are both 22AWG, somewhere between the Moon Black Dragon and the Forza entry level one. Hmmm.

20210305_114842.jpg

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

First valve amp I have owned, so a bit of a novice in this area. It has only just been plugged in and has a pretty bad hum through the headphones at zero volume.

Any ideas on what the likely issue is ?

BC883612-92F1-4DFC-82CF-D521A6564113.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ray H said:

First valve amp I have owned, so a bit of a novice in this area. It has only just been plugged in and has a pretty bad hum through the headphones at zero volume.

Any ideas on what the likely issue is ?

Does the hum disappear if you touch a metal part of the amp's case (outside of the case)?

• Like 2