New speakers!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evan;105718 wrote:

At the end of the day some people like a particular sound and then others like us prefer a superior sound
:P

ha ha!

To the OP - you might like to give Paul Turner a call at Turned on Audio, he may have something in your price range or know of someone who wants to sell speakers.

interesting.. will give them a call

I work in Greenlane, so I might pop down there one day if I get a chance

going to JB tonight to see what they have

Im worried if I get bookshelf's, ill need to use a Sub with them

where is, if I get semi decent floorstanders, later on I could move them into a seperate room without having to buy another sub

ideally, ill look for a preamp/power amp or a decent integrated amp later on + cd player

but might get the speakers first

id love to hear dynaudio and/or Image speakers..

however I think they are out of my budget, even for second hand speakers.. the images seem to be well over 1k

unless people have any coming up for sale?

I dont have the box building skills to build my own speaker cabinets.. otherwise id love to try some scanspeak drivers, peerless, Seas etc

as im sure I could get some decent drivers for my budget

IMO don't get toooo hung up on floorstanders being only way to get bass - some 2 way standmounts offer plenty - it can be down to design. I don't think Subs are favoured much around these pages - they tend to not get used in good gear though there are always fans of everything. And yes images usually go over $1000 for relatively modern ones but there may be a bargain to be had.

Gidday,

If you want to stick with your existing speakers (and there isn't really any need not to) you could get an integrated with HT bypass, or a standalone CD player. DVD players - excepting the megabuck ones - make pretty average players.

I have the HT amp running into a 2 Ch power amp for the mains and it's easily good enough - and more importantly - vastly better than the front channels alone from the HT amp.

Cheers, Shane.

Ernie;105793 wrote:
You'd be surprised who recommends standmounts AND subs around here. Integration is a biggie and the REL or Audiopro subs tend to do well for music-based systems as opposed to the sturm and drang or crash and bang of home theatre.

I sit corrected.

id like those hear those 52e audiences on trademe but there is a dent on the tweeter! which is putting me off

JB Hifi is a waste of time

Phoned EHF.. and they dont have anymore 42e or 52e ot the SE series...

apparently the new excite series is coming in, but they dont know when...

Just saw the audio Pros on trademe too, dont they use scanspeak drivers??

tamarillo;105784 wrote:
IMO don't get toooo hung up on floorstanders being only way to get bass - some 2 way standmounts offer plenty - it can be down to design. I don't think Subs are favoured much around these pages - they tend to not get used in good gear though there are always fans of everything. And yes images usually go over $1000 for relatively modern ones but there may be a bargain to be had.

I know of quite a number of systems with standmounts or floorstanders and are using sub/s for 2ch. It's taken me quite a while, but I've convinced many an audiophile about the virtues of using quality bass with 2ch. :D

well I think I may be sorted now

wont say much until I have received them!

its a pitty those image speakers came up when they did, as I would of been interested to get those!

although I think my new 'to be' speaker is the best option for me! :)

just worried about the amp power now... and will need a cd player later on down the track (no pun intended :D )

s4turn;106371 wrote:

just worried about the amp power now... and will need a cd player later on down the track (no pun intended
:D
)

Life is about to get expensive.............

And I suggest no cd player other than the one in your computer... And a network music player.

s4turn;106391 wrote:
hah.. well i tried the CD player in my PC, and I really dislike it, it sounds awful

played the same CD back on a cheap sony dvd player and it sounded tonnes better

with the amp on Direct setting

You need a streaming device and a DAC to make the output from your computer half decent. I'm really not surprised that you DVD player sounds better than your computer.

yeah its pretty acceptable for my PC I suppose, I can confirm the signal is clearer, also dont have to turn the amp up as much :)

but I still need something for my lounge setup

I've found VBR mp3's and wav's sound good, but when i play a CD, its kind of Peaky? :P on some notes.. i might have to check if Windows media player is applying some stupid EQ effect

however the dvd player was definitely a noticable improvement over the PC cd/dvd drive

just a nicer, cleaner sound, less noise