A few interesting things but cost and availability here make it difficult.

Wish they would just do a general release of the popular bands. I don't volunteer to get shafted because someone else thinks it's a good idea.

More in this one for me than I've seen in the history of this day.

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks Test Pressing

Midnight Oil - Breathe Tour 1997 - 2LP
Midnight Oil - Pleasure Island Live

R.E.M (as Bingo Hand Job) - Live at the Borderline, 1991 - 2LP

VA (OST) - The Crow: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Blk)

VA (OST) - Lost In Translation - 2LP  (incredibly excited about this one - I love this soundtrack and the OG is at cricket score prices)

• Like 1

Hi guys

First time I’ve come across this day being new in the vinyl game. I’ve read somewhere that you have to purchase in store? Is this correct?

Some cracking titles it’d love to grab

23 minutes ago, giddyup1 said:

Hi guys

First time I’ve come across this day being new in the vinyl game. I’ve read somewhere that you have to purchase in store? Is this correct?

Wellll..... not supposed to be available ahead of time online so run into a scrum if you *need * a high demand one.

Some will be online later but might be pricejacked even more.

• 1 month later...

This morning I arrived at my local store after 9 and was the 110th customer. Most of what I was after was still available. The surprise of the day - soundtracks were popular... still copies of rarities I thought would be snapped up, but the soundtracks were decimated. Also surprised to pick up the Chuck Mosley 7”, of which only 1000 were pressed. Now to spin them...

Edited by Goatboy
Spelling
  • Like 1

I only wanted two records; Eric Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider and Elvis Presley's Live At The International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV August 23, 1969 . Luckily I was able to snag a copy of each at the second store I attended, Hum in Netown.

I was tempted to get a couple of other titles, however I decided to stay within my budget and not face the wrath of the missus.

I'll give them a spin later tonight.

Edited by dolphy

Got in about 10.30. Didn't look like they had all that much to begin with, let alone the couple I was after. Heaps of Madonna tho... And the Weezer item.

I got the Jebadiha repress. Use to listen to them back in the day n saw them a few times in Canberra. Grab 2 other albums but not rsd releases to make the visit worth while.

• Like 1

TBH I always feel a little jaded by RSD. It seems more aimed the hipster pack, at least thats the feel I get in Melbourne. I tried to get to Goldmine Carlton but as I drove by just after 9.30 there was a line of a bout 30 people outside. I simply couldn't be bothered. Went to Off the Hip in the CBD about 11 and there were only 4 other people in the shop and nothing was different from any other time. Was not any of the special RSD releases at all despite it being part of the RSD website.

Greville was a pass simply as too much a total pain in the donkey to find a park in Sth Yarra. 

I think I'm just getting old and grumpy!

Edited by rodders3
  • Like 3

On 08/03/2019 at 7:07 PM, giddyup1 said:

Hi guys

The limited-release RSD disks are only available in-person on the day.  I believe that if there are leftovers after the day they can sell them online.

• Like 1

This is the first year that I was aware the RSD disks were available locally.

I really wanted to get the Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks Test Pressing, but unfortunately other commitments prevented me from getting to the stores until midday.  Most of the stores I went to had sold out their stock quickly, I didn't get the Dylan. 

I was lucky to get the Lennon Imagine Raw Studio Takes disk - when I asked the proprietor said they sold out hours ago, but a customer told me there was a copy on display on the wall!  It's nice to be lucky once in a while. 

I also got reproduction 78's of Robert Johnson and Bind Willie McTell, I did not know they were available. 

Now the frustrating part - I can't play them.  Mrs Feline has put them aside for my birthday later in the year. At least I know I will get gifts I will enjoy!

3 hours ago, rodders3 said:

TBH I always feel a little jaded by RSD. It seems more aimed the hipster pack, at least thats the feel I get in Melbourne. I tried to get to Goldmine Carlton but as I drove by just after 9.30 there was a line of a bout 30 people outside. I simply couldn't be bothered. Went to Off the Hip in the CBD about 11 and there were only 4 other people in the shop and nothing was different from any other time. Was not any of the special RSD releases at all despite it being part of the RSD website.

Greville was a pass simply as too much a total pain in the donkey to find a park in Sth Yarra. 

I think I'm just getting old and grumpy!

Old & grumpy one - Greville Records is in Prahran - not SY!  :)

Andy

4 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Now the frustrating part - I can't play them.  Mrs Feline has put them aside for my birthday later in the year. At least I know I will get gifts I will enjoy!

Does she make a habit of keeping you frustrated, af?  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, andyr said:

Does she make a habit of keeping you frustrated, af?  :lol:

Andy

She dislikes my "big, ugly speakers that sit in the middle of the room" ("why can't you have nice small speakers that sit in the corner of the room like everyone else has?"), but she understands how good reproduction is important to me, so she tolerates my stereo and me listening to some music she doesn't like (our tastes generally overlap).  So I have nothing great to complain about and a lot to be grateful for. 

4 hours ago, Stump said:

Nothing for me at Mr V this year.If anyone finds this one get me a copy.

Cheers Stump

MARC BOLAN & TREX BUMP N GRID RECORD STORE DAY RSD

JB HiFi in Canberra had a couple of copies at 4.00pm today. I'm sure they can mail order. 

• Like 1

I just jumped on Jb website and grabbed a few things I wanted when I woke up at 7am this morning - mostly some reissues or newer stuff so the 20% off whilst not abnormal for Jb just helped the pocket nine the less...

I also checked amazon au and sadly they didn’t participate at all- which surprised me. I’ve got my eye on some boxsets which I would have potentially grabbed if they were on sale but not the case.,

I would’ve liked to get out and about in Melbourne today and looked for and or grabbed some old steely dan and rummaged thru some old blues or jazz lps but kinda feel like those opportunities will be there in weeks to come without the crowds anyway. 

Hifi show coming up too, some great stuff sourced there last year- likely to be the same this year.