Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

With your Brookylyn DAC+, when you have MQA enabled, everything is MQA'ed - including non-MQA material.

Where did you here this from? Not true. The MQA only lights up when there’s MQA, it’s off for everything else. I’ve never had to go into the settings to turn it on or off. 

Edited by Sime V2

So, everyone getting all bent out of shape about how RW would never have agreed that a "full sinc" treatment of the audio (using a computer), in the article published on the Chord website... would be "better" than the M scaler.

In the video Bill posted.... go to 6:00.    He says it himself.     WTA is a very good "approximation" of sinc....   The computer actually go much much much closer (if you want).   <shrug>

1 minute ago, davewantsmoore said:

So, everyone getting all bent out of shape about how RW would never have agreed that a "full sinc" treatment of the audio

Who got bent out of shape? Rob has put this in writing hundreds of time before... absolutely nothing new...

Rob Watts: "you need an algorithm, like the WTA, that is close to a sinc function in order to accurately recover the original analogue signal, and conventional algorithms are very different to the ideal sinc function. "

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-2#post-14383129

5 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The computer actually go much much much closer (if you want)

We know that... I've been enjoying HQPlayer poly-sinc filters for years... ?

I guess you don't see things in the funny way I do ... when Rob says (hundreds of times in writing btw, this is just one example):

Rob Watts: "Never use up-sampling from your source into one of my DAC's"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-693#post-14110123

And then on the same page as his $6k+ M-Scaler there is an article saying:  " in which respect it’s even better than the M Scaler."

22 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Where did you here this from? Not true. The MQA only lights up when there’s MQA, it’s off for everything else. I’ve never had to go into the settings to turn it on or off. 

Ya but I'm not talking about what gets shown to you on the front, but what's happening to non-MQA material under the hood, if you don't disable MQA in the DAC settings... If you don't disable MQA in the DAC settings, non-MQA material get's filtered in an MQA-like way (minimum phase, slow roll-off)...

From Stereophile's 2016 review:

"The impulse response with 44.1kHz PCM data varied according to the reconstruction filter in use. (To select these filters, MQA playback must be disabled;"

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-brooklyn-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-measurements#fF0DcSXpizs2BJjh.99

Edited by Music2496

Not all MQA DACs behave like this btw, with non-MQA material. That's just specifically about the Brooklyn.

With the Pro-Ject S2 DAC mentioned earlier, you're able to apply whatever filter/s you want with non-MQA material, without having to go into DAC settings to find an enable/disable MQA option.

16 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

Rob Watts: "you need an algorithm, like the WTA, that is close to a sinc function in order to accurately recover the original analogue signal, and conventional algorithms are very different to the ideal sinc function. "

Exactly.   A computer can go closer to sinc  (if you want to).

We know that... I've been enjoying HQPlayer poly-sinc filters for years... ?

This is not exactly the same thing, as what I (or the article mentioned) am talking about.....   So when you say "I listened to HQplayer and Chord, and Chord was better" ....   That doesn't invalidate what the article says.

Rob Watts: "Never use up-sampling from your source into one of my DAC's"

Yes, it understandable why he says this ....  but resampling with filters like in the M Scaler (or in a computer using long/silly filters) is ok.

If you still don't think he says it's OK..... what the video, where he says exactly that  (discussing what would happen if you used 'real' sinc ... or a much much much closer approximationn to it, like a computer running absurdly long filters can do.

2 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Exactly.   A computer can go closer to sinc  (if you want to).

This is not exactly the same thing, as what I (or the article mentioned) am talking about.....   So when you say "I listened to HQplayer and Chord, and Chord was better" ....   That doesn't invalidate what the article says.

Yes, it understandable why he says this ....  but resampling with filters like in the M Scaler (or in a computer using long/silly filters) is ok.

If you still don't think he says it's OK..... what the video, where he says exactly that  (discussing what would happen if you used 'real' sinc ... or a much much much closer approximationn to it, like a computer running absurdly long filters can do.

Lol I give up. You seem to think I disagree with the contents of the article and the theory you discuss, but I've said at least 3 times I don't at all.

It only made me chuckle for a very obvious reason, nothing more than that.

It's not life and death stuff, so I'll tap out of this one.

2 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

Lol I give up. You seem to think I disagree with the contents of the article and the theory you discuss

No, you seem to think RW does .... but you are taking some of his comments either out of context, or not unpacking the "marketing speak".

31 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

@Music2496 well there ya go, sneaky schiits. Like I said, she’s off to the used market soon anyway. 

Btw, this is still a brilliant DAC, designed by a really clever and respected chap (Michal Jurewicz). Long history of Mytek in studio's (both A-to-D's and D-to-A's).

Still a brilliant buy for someone if you sell it.

I have huge respect for all of these clever chaps: Rob Watts, Michael Jurewicz, the late Charles Hansen, Ted Smith, Andreas Koch, Jussi Laako etc etc.

Edited by Music2496

2 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I’m liking the less drama with everything running through it as it should.

Only a 1 button press on a harmony remote for me. DAC input for all 2 channel with or without video and HT input for all surround content through HDMI.

3 hours ago, legend said:

I hear a significant improvement with both MQA and the M-Scaler. Which improvement is larger is difficult to say because the DAC in each case was different - a Project S2 for the MQA and a Chord Qutest for the M-Scaler (because the Qutest does not do MQA).

However I also hear a similar improvement in going from a passive loudspeaker to an active one with a DEQX processor, even when the loudspeaker drivers are similar.  And of course DEQX also have said for quite a while that timing is very important. The DEQX processor brings all frequencies into time alignment - something that is very difficult to do with a passive loudspeaker system.

So it looks as though the issue of 'time domain' is being tackled on a number of fronts to good effect.  It would be interesting to see if/how well the different approaches could be combined.  My experience is that it cannot be done via the analog inputs of the DEQX because its ADC inevitably affects the result. 

Hi Rod @legend

We will be able to answer this questions with our ears when I get to your place in a few weeks. However, in theory if we send the signal from the Daves digital outs (bnc) into the deqxs digital in, in theory, would this sound better with Tikandis vs analog in? Also if we used a mscaler would the deqx downscale the upscaled 768khz signal back down to 24/96? This might be an experiment we should try when I bring the Dave down as the Dave has digital outs whereas the Qutest doesn't. Food for thought

Edited by sandrews888