Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Don't have links, sorry.

No worries at all.

It's always nice to read it straight from the horses mouth (like direct Rob Watts quotes I've shared..).

We'll have to wait for some measurements to come out hopefully, to see if the impulse responses of Dave/TT2/Qutest/Hugo2 are any different with M-Scaller connected...

I had a look around for Blu2 measurements (also 1 million taps) but couldn't find any.

Edited by Music2496

Just now, Music2496 said:

We'll have to wait for some measurements to come out hopefully, to see if the impulse responses of Dave/TT2/Qutest/Hugo2 are any different with M-Scaller connected...

I had a look around for Blu2 measurements (also 1 million taps) but couldn't find any.

It usually doesn't take long for Stereophile to test one; they're pretty quick with Chord products so it's unusual there are no blu2 measurements... Actually it says the blu2 draws up to 10A of current to do its magic. @Sime V2 does the mscaler use a lot of power?

• Like 1

15V 4A, looks like they're using much more efficient fpga hardware compared to the blu2 then. That's screaming to be replaced with a fancy linear power supply too... lol.

Edited by Ittaku

8 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Actually it says the blu2 draws up to 10A of current to do its magic.

From Rob: "the M scaler is 528 dsp cores - but only runs at 12W (12A with 1V core voltage)"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/page-98#post-14385330

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

On the subject off of the 8805’s EQ, being that it’s a manual adjustment EQ, is there a chance it’s analog? All Audyssey stuff has to be switched off before you can even have access to that EQ. 

11 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

On the subject off of the 8805’s EQ, being that it’s a manual adjustment EQ, is there a chance it’s analog?

If you're adjusting it from your iPad, it's a very safe bet that it's all in the digital domain.

Edited by Music2496

Alright, enough chatter, I just want to listen to this thing now. Sime, I know you said I should just listen to what I know for comparison but given CD is what will benefit most, you should still bring down one or two of your favourites just as a reference point. (Plus you may hate all my music ? ).

1 hour ago, Cruncher said:

Do what?

As mentioned in the article.... Sharp filters, and a closer approximation of sinc.    It's just a case of how much delay do you want.

My understanding is not one actually knows exactly what he is doing.

"Exactly" is a quite precise term.    

You certainly can do a lot of things in CPU and Software, but other some functions can be better done in other devices / hardware. Why do you think Intel bought Altera for $16.7 Billion, they seemed to know something about CPU.

"Better" means more efficiently (ie. power, and cost).... and if you were building a product like the M scaler, you would certainly lean towards using some sort of FPGA or ASIC ..... the only point I made was that if they can achieve more performance improvement by longer filters, then the option is there.     It's in no way a controversial point .... and I'm still here defending it.    People arguing against it have zero clue.

1 hour ago, Music2496 said:

If you're adjusting it from your iPad, it's a very safe bet that it's all in the digital domain.

No.... The microprocessor controlling the AVR is "digital" ..... but that doesn't at all mean the filters it is adjusting are not analogue.

1 hour ago, Sime V2 said:

On the subject off of the 8805’s EQ, being that it’s a manual adjustment EQ, is there a chance it’s analog? All Audyssey stuff has to be switched off before you can even have access to that EQ. 

Do you know, I hadn't even considered it..... I would bet, no  (I'll find out) ..... but the fact you can adjust it via an iPad (or via the front knobs, display, which is the same thing) is no indication.

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

No.... The microprocessor controlling the AVR is "digital" ..... but that doesn't at all mean the filters it is adjusting are not analogue.

I didn't say no... just said it was a safe bet... just like you did ?

I would bet, no (I'll find out)

Can't see anything about digitally controlled analogue EQ anywhere... but if you find out, curious to know....

Edited by Music2496

16 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Do you know, I hadn't even considered it..... I would bet, no  (I'll find out) ..... but the fact you can adjust it via an iPad (or via the front knobs, display, which is the same thing) is no indication.

The frequency points for the graphic equalisation are fixed, so it is still possible. If you could move them around or shape them, it'd be guaranteed digital, but that's not the case here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

I didn't say no... just said it was a safe bet... just like you did ?

That's right .....   It is not a safe bet that the digital control means the filters are digital.

It is a safe bet that the filers are digital because that is what 99.9% of devices have now days .... analogue filters are more difficult, more expensive, and typically lower performance.

I'm unclear about stereo analogue inputs on the 8805 ... but the multichannel analogue inputs are not converted to digital...   but are passed through a digitally controlled (analogue) volume IC.     If there is EQ available on these input/outputs, then that would indicate there is "analogue EQ" in the box  (and you assume that would apply, or could be applied, to the stereo analogue inputs)

... or a change to the level.

Don’t know if this is relevant or not, but audio coming out of the Scaler is about 2 dB quieter (guess, but noticeable) than the Qutest fed directly to the source is on its own and during the time with it I’ve also bumped the output voltage on the Qutest from 3v to 2v. 

Edited by Sime V2

7 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Don’t know if this is relevant or not, but audio coming out of the Scaler is about 2 dB quieter (guess, but noticeable) than the Qutest fed directly to the source is on its own and during the time with it I’ve also bumped the output voltage on the Qutest from 3v to 2v. 

Over/upsamplers usually need to decrease signal amplitude before working with it to prevent the upsampled signal from clipping, so this is normal, expected, and a good thing!

13 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Over/upsamplers usually need to decrease signal amplitude before working with it to prevent the upsampled signal from clipping, so this is normal, expected, and a good thing!

Yes, my point was that old argument where things sound better when they are louder, but funnily enough, I’ve had to readjust my brain to newer volume settings (I go by numbers on the pre a lot of the time) and having less input voltage on the quest has also made a difference also, not a lot but it’s there. 

If you think a PC with long filters can sound as good as the Chord, do a real world comparison. There are other factors that we don't know of.

It was Miska of HQplayer who started this nonsense years ago, where in every thread about Chord he campaigned against Rob and encouraged people to say a simple PC would be better.

Let focus on actual listening reports of the M-Scaler.

I personally want to know how much a difference the Qtest/TT2/DAVE makes to the final sound of the M-Scaler.

Edited by agisthos
  • Like 1