Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Music monster

Thanks Andy glad you agree and look forward to having you over. Bring a CD or two if you like. Cheers gary the music monster ?

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah, thank you for that, Gary.  The gold plated connectors & fuse holders are definitely a step up from the other ones!  :thumb:

And, sure the mid driver and the bass drivers are all new.

Andy

1 hour ago, Music monster said:

May be so Andy but I find the connections for the speakers to be excellent. They are all gold plated on my 30.7s and my speaker cable with banana plugs fits in perfectly, better than any speakers I have had before. The fuse holders are also gold plated.Agree with your points on the 30.7s, but don’t forget the new midrange driver and lower midrange and two way bass  are new and the best drivers magnapan has ever used. The xover is also a higher grade than the 20.7s. Gary the music monster ?

CD7EF878-8EFA-44ED-B3EB-AB6046F95D5E.jpeg

Andh I'm not sure if replacing the MDF frames would be an advantage. 

Ivd not heard of too many enthusiasts who have gone to the trouble of replacing the framework on the 20.7s with sold wooden. 

I know from past experience a repairer who went down the route of adding metal plates to a pair of IIIAS which greatly increased the weight of the speakers. This had the effect of hugely reducing frame vibration. He commented that doing this on a big speaker like the 20. 7s would be superfluous as they are already very heavy speakers so I'm inclined to think that replacing the MDF on the newest model wouldn't be so essential. 

These speakers would I believe definitely benefit from stands. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Guest Music monster

Yes the the 30.7s are 99 kg each side,most of the weight in the bass panels. Apart from new stands one day, I wouldn’t do anything to them. They are well made and look beautiful to, and best of all sound amazing.Gary the music monster ?

Gary, i also have panel speaker and horn speaker setups. All be it, much lower level than what you have. Like you I love the contrast between different speaker systems, not only for different genres but sometimes just different moods.

Guest Music monster
3 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Gary, i also have panel speaker and horn speaker setups. All be it, much lower level than what you have. Like you I love the contrast between different speaker systems, not only for different genres but sometimes just different moods.

Very good to hear mate. It’s a fantastic idea to have horns and panel speakers, as each excels in different areas and for different types of music. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Most serious audiophiles have more than 1 pair of speakers for a different sound experience when they feel like it. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Had the pleasure of having Andyr over today for a listen to my 30.7s and that’s all he could say was absolutely fantastic,they sound live like you are there .On a three blind mice recording,that he is familiar with he said it sounded better than he’s ever herd it before.i think everyone gets the idea. The  30.7s are stunning speakers and a big step up from the 20.7s Thanks for the kind comments and I look forward to coming down for a listen to your system. Cheers?. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

Guest Music monster
12 minutes ago, mjs said:

@Music monster @andyr sounds great, I can picture the TBM recording as Andy may have played it at my joint. Would love to hear the 30.7’s to see how much better than my 3.7i’s they are ?

The 3.7is are excellent speakers mjs , but the 30.7s are truly in a league of there own.i will pm you for a listen when I’m ready. Cheers gary the music monster ?

52 minutes ago, mjs said:

@Music monster @andyr sounds great, I can picture the TBM recording as Andy may have played it at my joint. Would love to hear the 30.7’s to see how much better than my 3.7i’s they are ?

Gary had a compilation of TBM tracks on an SACD, Malcolm - it wasn't my 45s.

The 30.7s deliver "more of the same" - the same georgeous mid range (though no longer sharing a mylar sheet with the bass panel) but more weight.  And he has a superb room!  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 1

Guest Music monster
2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Here Gary, I found you an amplifier for your 30.7s that is guaranteed to do them justice:

Excellent amplifier ittaku.I will have a look at it,but at this stage I think I will be sticking with mcintosh and upgrading to there flagship products.cheers gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
7 hours ago, andyr said:

Gary had a compilation of TBM tracks on an SACD, Malcolm - it wasn't my 45s.

The 30.7s deliver "more of the same" - the same georgeous mid range (though no longer sharing a mylar sheet with the bass panel) but more weight.  And he has a superb room!  :thumb:

Andy

Thanks Andy. I’m glad you agreed with me that the 30.7s are a good step up over the previous flagship 20.7s.as you say they deliver more of the same as in more clarity,detail,dynamics soundstage,,realism,transparency,definition, bass extension and weights.as you move up in magnapans range ,every model is an improvement over the other. Anyway to be honest the 30.7s are only just above average sound to me, I am very fussy ,but the best speakers i have ever herd overall .I’m happy enough until magnapan bring out there new flagship.?Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

Bought a used pair of SMGc's from a local seller. Wasn't too expensive, condition was fair, especially since the speaker's close to 30 years old.

Seller told me tweeter on one side's a little soft, so I intend to rebuild it, and have ordered the kit direct from Magnepan.

I'll also be checking the parts of the crossover to see if any need replacing etc. It'll be a project, just to relive the sound I loved from the mid-90's when I had the exact same model, bought new from Absolute Sound.

Any thoughts, suggestions, welcome.

Daniel

Upper Changi Road North2bf8c98c7694690fbfb8b280a7051f57.jpg157774873a6726671ef5cf2a418f95e2.jpg5005d42287fa603bb2fb41ecc5e5982a.jpg1991ed58dcef6ec7ccdb2e3678056e36.jpgce0d22fffbc2705322e0bb4fee6884de.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

First and foremost, get yourself a deoxit D5 contact cleaner and leave it on overnight if you have to, before cleaning it off.

Apply on the fuse holder, fuses cap, remove tweeter attenuator or better do like what joamonte did. This is to confirm the problem is not just due to a poor contact. That alone will put  some brilliant back to you SMG.

Just change the electrolytic cap first, to see the changes is good enough for you before deciding on the can of worm decision on the film foil cap.

https://sg.element14.com/vishay/tva1411/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitor/dp/8477558?st=25uf

First and foremost, get yourself a deoxit D5 contact cleaner and leave it on overnight if you have to, before cleaning it off.

Apply on the fuse holder, fuses cap, remove tweeter attenuator or better do like what joamonte did. This is to confirm the problem is not just due to a poor contact. That alone will put  some brilliant back to you SMG.

Just change the electrolytic cap first, to see the changes is good enough for you before deciding on the can of worm decision on the film foil cap.

https://sg.element14.com/vishay/tva1411/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitor/dp/8477558?st=25uf

Thanks.

Bought a used pair of SMGc's from a local seller. Wasn't too expensive, condition was fair, especially since the speaker's close to 30 years old.

Seller told me tweeter on one side's a little soft, so I intend to rebuild it, and have ordered the kit direct from Magnepan.

I'll also be checking the parts of the crossover to see if any need replacing etc. It'll be a project, just to relive the sound I loved from the mid-90's when I had the exact same model, bought new from Absolute Sound.

Any thoughts, suggestions, welcome.

Daniel

Upper Changi Road North2bf8c98c7694690fbfb8b280a7051f57.jpg157774873a6726671ef5cf2a418f95e2.jpg5005d42287fa603bb2fb41ecc5e5982a.jpg1991ed58dcef6ec7ccdb2e3678056e36.jpgce0d22fffbc2705322e0bb4fee6884de.jpg

how did you order the tweeter repair kit? u called them?

how did you order the tweeter repair kit? u called them?

Emailed. Gary Edwards (production@magnepan.com).

Told him what I needed, he quoted, I paid (not really secure).

Daniel

On 25/07/2019 at 5:02 PM, Music monster said:

Anyway to be honest the 30.7s are only just above average sound to me, I am very fussy ,but the best speakers i have ever herd overall . 

What?? After ALL the PRAISE you've heaped upon them you write this. What are you on about mate?

i think is about the listener's expectations, experiences and desires. Sounds like to me Gary isnt satisfied with his system and is searching for something better. For me anything equal or above the Harbeth 40.2 is already mind blowing. 

Guest Music monster
36 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

What?? After ALL the PRAISE you've heaped upon them you write this. What are you on about mate?

The 30.7s,I truly believe are in a league of there own, but as I said I’m very fussy and my standards are high.i call most high end speakers average and the 30.7s above average.i had a pair of harbeth 40.2s and consider them average sounding, I wasn’t happy with them and sold them of. After hearing the 30.7s I started to relize how compromised box speakers are. I just sold my focal utopia headphones,which are probably the best headphones money can buy ,but I wasn’t happy. It’s just me. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
19 minutes ago, genkifd said:

i think is about the listener's expectations, experiences and desires. Sounds like to me Gary isnt satisfied with his system and is searching for something better. For me anything equal or above the Harbeth 40.2 is already mind blowing. 

I am happy mate in fact very happy, but just to fussy I guess. The harbeth 40.2s didn’t do it for me, the 30.7s are a far better sounding speaker.gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster