Grace cart retipping.....value service.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Did you see? Joseph got kicked from AK. A lot of people up in arms over it as all his posts were deleted too:sad:

What the indeed! They're a bit weird over there on AK..... I got kicked off a couple of years back (after Trump got elected.....I got a bit vocal?) but I can't understand what he would have done to deserve such treatment.? It's their loss....and how childish to delete all his posts?! Bizarre....?

Edited by stevoz

I've seen a number of valuable members kicked from AK over the years for things which have never actually been apprent. I think they've a bit of a problem with over moderating things over there. :(

Anyway,  that's all I'll say about that.  I can't remember which forum disallows talking about other forums or their mods in a negative way.....

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

I've seen a number of valuable members kicked from AK over the years for things which have never actually been apprent. I think they've a bit of a problem with over moderating things over there. :(

Anyway,  that's all I'll say about that.  I can't remember which forum disallows talking about other forums or their mods in a negative way.....

VE

Just a bit more on the needlestein/VE breakup.....I was on VE earlier this evening reading a thread titled "Grace F9 E HELP!" in which the second post had a link to another VE thread titled "Stylus for Grace F9", which I have read before and I believe was started by Joseph. As suggested in earlier posts on this thread, all his posts have been removed and the thread was a lot smaller. All his excellent helpful information and knowledge gone.....?

So I put up a post on the "HELP" thread, quoting the link to the "Stylus" thread and saying words to the effect of "Wow, what happened to that thread? Where's needlestein's posts? Didn't he start that thread?"......all innocent like.?

Later, I go back to see if there's been any response and low and behold, my post has been removed and the thread has been locked! Wow, they really are very sensitive over there on their audio forums.....ouch! At least I myself haven't been blocked.....yet.??

Edited by stevoz

Yes, they're quite authoritarian over at AK. You're lucky you didn't get kicked as well.  I've seen a number of these individuals who are a wealth of knowledge booted from AK while trolls are often allowed to continue on.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories though I'd not be surprised if a cartridge maker took issue with the particular knowledge he was sharing, and threatened AK with a lawsuit. They lack the resources for such a thing. After all,  AK's terms and conditions specify that they are the owners of all posted content,  not the poster.

SNA is far more open and seems to have more actual experts on board. Anyone particularly useful over on AK always seems to get booted and their content deleted (rather than simply disabling login for their account). The only reason I can see for such action is external influence. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by MattyW

7 hours ago, MattyW said:

Yes, they're quite authoritarian over at AK. You're lucky you didn't get kicked as well.  I've seen a number of these individuals who are a wealth of knowledge booted from AK while trolls are often allowed to continue on.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories though I'd not be surprised if a cartridge maker took issue with the particular knowledge he was sharing, and threatened AK with a lawsuit. They lack the resources for such a thing. After all,  AK's terms and conditions specify that they are the owners of all posted content,  not the poster.

SNA is far more open and seems to have more actual experts on board. Anyone particularly useful over on AK always seems to get booted and their content deleted (rather than simply disabling login for their account). The only reason I can see for such action is external influence. I'll leave it at that.

Oh yeah, it was AK he got booted off recently.....well now it seems like he has suffered the same fate on VE. I'll have to drop him a line and find out what happened.....?

1 minute ago, stevoz said:

Oh yeah, it was AK he got booted off recently.....well now it seems like he has suffered the same fate on VE. I'll have to drop him a line and find out what happened.....?

He was booted quite a while ago from VE. Be careful guys as I find these two websites very useful and good reading. Theres even a Sota thread, which, for me, is invaluable:thumb:

They accused him of trying to sell his services in the main forum and deleted him with no warning, saying he'd had multiple warnings previously. I had seen one of the previous instances where he'd been warned previously though there was no wrong doing that I could see in the first place. Seems rather odd.

Anyway, I remain active on AK though nothing like I used to....

Edited by MattyW

30 minutes ago, MattyW said:

They accused him of trying to sell his services in the main forum and deleted him with no warning, saying he'd had multiple warnings previously. I had seen one of the previous instances where he'd been warned previously though there was no wrong doing that I could see in the first place. Seems rather odd.

Anyway, I remain active on AK though nothing like I used to....

Thanks for that Matty. I had just sent Joseph an email before I read your post so it will be interesting to hear what he says.....but AK and VE certainly do seem rather draconian in their treatment of posters who step out of line......like me on AK!? Well they can get stuffed.?

Edited by stevoz

11 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Thanks for that Matty. I had just sent Joseph an email before I read your post so it will be interesting to hear what he says.....but AK and VE certainly do seem rather draconian in their treatment of posters who step out of line......like me on AK!? Well they can get stuffed.?

Best to tread lightly really on all forums just in case. It's far easier to find information as part of a community than from the outside. I do currently prefer SNA though AK was my first audio forum..... We should probably stop discussing this here outside of PM's though. This is a public forum and it is concievable that this could get us banned from AK were a mod to read it. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out who's who based on location and names so I'd really rather not risk it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Best to tread lightly really on all forums just in case. It's far easier to find information as part of a community than from the outside. I do currently prefer SNA though AK was my first audio forum..... We should probably stop discussing this here outside of PM's though. This is a public forum and it is concievable that this could get us banned from AK were a mod to read it. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out who's who based on location and names so I'd really rather not risk it.

I've already been banned from AK but I do like and still access VE so yes, we'll leave it at that then?.....but I'll probably report on what Joseph says, if he provides anything and as long as it is not 'incendiary'?. I also invited him to join stereonet. He would be very welcome here and besides, I've already advertised for him!?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I've already been banned from AK but I do like and still access VE so yes, we'll leave it at that then?.....but I'll probably report on what Joseph says, if he provides anything and as long as it is not 'incendiary'?. I also invited him to join stereonet. He would be very welcome here and besides, I've already advertised for him!?

Haha,  I already invited him ;)

• Like 2

Joseph got back to me and in regard to AK, @MattyW 's explanation is correct and it indeed sounds like he was harshly and wrongly judged and undeserving of the ban. In regard to the VE situation, that is quite different.....and bizarre.

He said " VE was just stupid.  There's a huge behind the scenes battle between the owner of VE, JaS and the owner of Lenco Heaven.  But if you don't know about it, you won't learn of it until it's too late.  I got booted from VE simply for being a member of Lenco Heaven (and being able to be detected by having the same username and avatar, and being active in the forums of course.  Those who used a different username and avatar or who only lurked, of course, were missed by the reaper).  Flimsy excuses were given all around but that was the end of it.  I and many others were banned including boreas and wualta, both of whom are also excellent and prolific.  So I was at least comforted to be in such good company."

This situation is quite baffling and frankly, childish. It's a real pity good people get caught in the crossfire.....?

On VE, some posters are now talking in code?.....re: Joseph.?

First post: " Expert Stylus Co. in the UK does a lot of work on vintage Shures, Stantons, Pickerings, Grados, etc., and I can't think of any reason why SoundSmith wouldn't do the same (unless they're simply too busy). I also know a guy in the northeast US who does retipping and he has done many V15s. He retipped my Micro Acoustics electret cartridge and did a great job. I'm going to send him a Stanton 681 stylus in the not too distant future. "

Followed by this reply: " (name) what do you think of your repaired MA? I ask because I have one also, and was thinking of employing Mr. Stein as well. "

Mr Stein?.....and, if your interested in the answer re: the repaired MA: "He did a superb job! I have no complaints whatsoever about the retip. I'm thrilled with the work he did and I will certainly use him again. His .3x.7mil nude rectangular shank diamond is as tiny and beautiful as any I've ever seen. Really a top drawer diamond."

He is certainly worthy.....?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have discovered another retipping service for Grace carts, again in the US. A guy that goes by the moniker of 'yutubes'......he's in Brooklyn, NY.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grace-Cartridge-Ruby-Elliptical-Retipping-PLUS-Rubber-Replacement-Service/233096232802?hash=item36459e3f62:g:0aEAAOSwkAxcWgrJ

Long live Grace!?

10 hours ago, stevoz said:

I have discovered another retipping service for Grace carts, again in the US. A guy that goes by the moniker of 'yutubes'......he's in Brooklyn, NY.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grace-Cartridge-Ruby-Elliptical-Retipping-PLUS-Rubber-Replacement-Service/233096232802?hash=item36459e3f62:g:0aEAAOSwkAxcWgrJ

Long live Grace!?

Very Interesting. Whats the wear rate with a ruby stylus vs a diamond?

14 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Very Interesting. Whats the wear rate with a ruby stylus vs a diamond?

You know, I didn't even read that properly in the ad....skimmed across it and just saw elliptical. Ruby elliptical?.....I have no idea about those. Can't imagine that with diamond being the hardest known mineral, ruby would wear as well. Hearing one though would be interesting.....

Edited by stevoz

• 1 month later...

I've got my fathers (late 70's-early 80's I guess) Grace F8c with bent cantilever. Is this worth sending off OS for repair? Also I have no original packaging so how would one package it for safe travels?

It would probably only be a spare as my new table came with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood V2 MM cart and loving it so far.

• 3 months later...

Here's another retipping service for Grace (and Elac) carts. This guy is in Brooklyn, NY and goes by the name of  yutubes  but he claims to supply aluminium cantilevers and a  "very special ruby elliptical stylus that will sound great on Grace cartridges". 

Interesting......?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grace-Elac-Cartridge-Ruby-Elliptical-Retipping-PLUS-Rubber-Replacement-Service/233096232802?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3De1aa9749e0804e3f9d6fe4a61731ad84%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D283572500523%26itm%3D233096232802%26pg%3D2385738&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Cheers.....and long live Grace!

Edited by stevoz