Item:  Gale GS401A Speakers A
Price: $1500
Item Condition:  Fair consider its age 
Reason for selling:  moving to a new hobby aka cinematography 
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash

Extra Info:

Resurrected my old FS thread. I will take more recent picture when my new camera arrives. 

I picked these up approximately 3 year ago from an old lady whose husband was the original owner since the late 70. All the driver was checked and refoamed and the crossover was recapped back in December 2015 by Atilla Tanka. He mentioned giving 5 years warranty for his work so I can assist if the need ever arises for future owner. 

I listened to the advices given to me by others and kept these beauty for another 2 years but I found a new hobby in travel and film making so time to get rid of all the extra weight. 

The stands in the picture will be included. 

Also link to my ebay listing in case people want to take advantage of their 5% off code PLUG5

Disclaimer:

I actually listed it under the pay no fee offer from ebay . So financially it makes no difference for me . The only reason i keep mentioning ebay is due to all their offer which some people might not be aware of.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=392129363525&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229515&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Pictures:

post-133711-0-95830400-1461170717_thumb.

post-133711-0-33625500-1461170781_thumb.

post-133711-0-60587100-1461170846_thumb.

post-133711-0-82449500-1461170912_thumb.

post-133711-0-51959400-1461170977_thumb.

post-133711-0-74225200-1461171049_thumb.

Edited by xzobinx
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Great vintage speakers but very amplifier sensitive. Require plenty of grunt and low impedance capability to get the best out of them. Can produce a great sound quality and volume. I wish I was in the marker. GLWTS

Edited by Desap

I think they were originally around the AUS$1300 rrp mark back when new.

People were matching them with the old Lescion [spelling?] - which later became Meridian - Electronics.

They had a pre amp with multi coloured faders as controls, and the 100w power amp was a cylinder .

Then the Aussie Made AMW AM440 was released a lot cheaper and people bought those instead....looked more like a Spendor BC1, nothing like these to look at, but sounded quite similar as I remember it.

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

So are people that hire interior decorators.

Far less sense than money, cable manufacturers love these type of people.

Now where can I find those decorators ?

1 hour ago, Desap said:

Great vintage speakers but very amplifier sensitive. Require plenty of grunt and low impedance capability to get the best out of them. Can produce a great sound quality and volume. I wish I was in the marker. GLWTS

As we can see I run them with my audiogd master 10 250w class AB.

This amp is capable of bumping  some decent current. I’ve heard that pretty much anything

that could run a pair of quad 57 should play well with these. 

I don’t recommend plugging into a class D amp through

2 hours ago, Al.M said:

Nice Proac Response 2.5 floorstander in the background havnt seen that veneer finish before.

1 hour ago, erest said:

Not Proacs...Chinese copies...

Yeah as Erest said, it is Image Jazzman 2.5 a Chinese clone of Proac. I haven't heard the original 2.5 but demoed the D25, I don't feel I was missing much. 

just want to add. Ebay still has the gift card deal running. I think you can cram maximum 14 gift card and a code in one transaction. That's another 140Aud off plus cashback. It's hard to not love those offer from ebay. 

Edited by xzobinx

31 minutes ago, xzobinx said:

Yeah as Erest said, it is Image Jazzman 2.5 a Chinese clone of Proac. I haven't heard the original 2.5 but demoed the D25, I don't feel I was missing much. 

just want to add. Ebay still has the gift card deal running. I think you can cram maximum 14 gift card and a code in one transaction. That's another 140Aud off plus cashback. It's hard to not love those offer from ebay. 

Thanks, I used to administer the DIYProacResponse25 site in 2002 thereabouts.

14 hours ago, Tweaky said:

So are people that hire interior decorators.

Far less sense than money, cable manufacturers love these type of people.

Oh crap .  I make cables and hired an interior decorator for my new home    ?

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 1

On 24/09/2018 at 7:16 PM, xzobinx said:

Now where can I find those decorators ?

You used to be able to find them lining up in the B&O section of David Jones in the Sydney CBD....TRUE

Now B&O have several new Sydney outlets.....best practice would tape a flyer to a telegraph pole outside the shop with picture and phone number....Kidding

Honestly, you have NO idea at what people will pay for a design if it suits, I've seen really stupid money paid for things just because the 'Went with the Ambience we are trying to achieve'

Now if you had the matching GALE turntable from back then.....you would be able to ask Carte Blanche.....with the Lecson Pre/Amp I mentioned earlier.

Edited by Tweaky

8 hours ago, Orca said:

Used to have a pair of these matched with a Phase Linear 700b power and 4000 pre. My dad's old gear... Spitting chips that I sold it all... GLWTS

thanks. Haven't got a chance to try it with vintage amp yet. I'd be curious to try it with say a sansui a907nra

On 26/09/2018 at 3:35 PM, Tweaky said:

You used to be able to find them lining up in the B&O section of David Jones in the Sydney CBD....TRUE

Now B&O have several new Sydney outlets.....best practice would tape a flyer to a telegraph pole outside the shop with picture and phone number....Kidding

now now you gave me some good idea to spend my long weekend ?

Edited by xzobinx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...