Phono Pre-amp recomendations

Hi All,

I have a fairly modest system compared to most on here but i'm working to upgrade over time.

Currently having a Quasimodo amp built by @tagstrip and as there is no phono stage i need to buy a separate phono pre.

My turntable is an Ariston Q Deck with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and my speakers are Sonus Fabre Luito's. 

As i live in a small town the best i could do locally would be something for jaycar :)  

I'm thinking to spend up to $500 and would love some input from the wealth of knowledge that is in this community.

Regards

Jarrod 

Well,  in that price range I'd pick up a Little Bear T11 and roll some tubes. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can upgrade the caps for a very nice result. Suggest Russian PIO's on a budget (K40-9y, K42Y-2, K75-10, K75-12 depending on what will physically fit). That stage will far outclass the 2M Red.

It would be worthwhile tracking down a used Pickering XV15 and a new Jico shibata. Will compare very well with the far more expensive Black ;)

• Like 1

@mwhouston makes nice stages MM or MC I have his battery unit the "Mimic Carbon" for MM and the "Salix" for MC I actually think they're good value for money considering the sound they give out.

His website is a bit of a maze to navigate but it's worth having a chat with him.

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/

My 2c worth

• Like 3

I recommend saving your money and buying any affordable preamp.

Check out this video and see how much difference you hear.

I bet you find there isn't a lot of difference.

If you buy one of the affordable preamps and later want to upgrade at least you'll have a benchmark to compare against. Your money would be better spent on a 2M bronze stylus, which will be a step up in sound quality IMO.

My 2c.

Edited by eltech
  • Like 1

On 24/08/2018 at 12:19 PM, JOH1975 said:

Hi All,

I have a fairly modest system compared to most on here but i'm working to upgrade over time.

Currently having a Quasimodo amp built by @tagstrip and as there is no phono stage i need to buy a separate phono pre.

My turntable is an Ariston Q Deck with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and my speakers are Sonus Fabre Luito's. 

As i live in a small town the best i could do locally would be something for jaycar :)  

I'm thinking to spend up to $500 and would love some input from the wealth of knowledge that is in this community.

Regards

Jarrod 

On 24/08/2018 at 1:41 PM, BATMAQN said:

@mwhouston makes nice stages MM or MC I have his battery unit the "Mimic Carbon" for MM and the "Salix" for MC I actually think they're good value for money considering the sound they give out.

His website is a bit of a maze to navigate but it's worth having a chat with him.

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/

My 2c worth

+1 for Mark's MM phono stage.  Much better performance for less money than something from Jaycar.

Andy

• Volunteer
8 hours ago, eltech said:

I recommend saving your money and buying any affordable preamp.

Check out this video and see how much difference you hear.

I bet you find there isn't a lot of difference.

If you buy one of the affordable preamps and later want to upgrade at least you'll have a benchmark to compare against. Your money would be better spent on a 2M bronze stylus, which will be a step up in sound quality IMO.

My 2c.

I don’t see a video ?

I’ve got Richards mini Quasimodo and have no desire to ‘upgrade’, only that I’d like multiple inputs. I’ve got a few phono preamps in your price range and I reckon it’d be hard to actually go wrong. IMO it’s more down to personal preference and synergy, but then I haven’t heard a ‘high end’ phono stage, so don’t know what I’m missing. Let’s know how you get on with the Vincent and the Quasimodo!

Well I’ve got the PHO8 set up.

It’s very bright compared to the phono stage on my Roksan Kandy.

Not sure I love it. Doesn’t have the warmth I was getting. Personal preference of course.

It does do some thing better. Wider sound stage and instruments are more accurately placed.

Will hold final judgment until I get it set up with the Quasimodo. Probably a coupe of weeks away for that.

In the mean time maybe the Vincent will grow on me.